It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 230 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 13 Nov 2023, 23:42 

R_Volution takes over the hardware from Zappiti and adds their own software. This software will be available to Zidoo and Dune HD later for a fee (TBD).

R_Volution PlayerOne is a Zappiti Neo clone but borrows the power supply section from Zappiti Reference. It retails for $899 (free shipping for US). It doesn't include any HDD but you can use any 3.5" SATA HDD with capacity up to 16TB. Please note that R_Volution NAS will not be available in the US due to legal reasons.

R_Volution

Snap1.jpg

This is the one I like out of all the media players in the market. From what I heard their NAS product got Zappiti in trouble in the US and that's why the company went kaput. I don't know if Zappiti became R_Volution (and continuing under new name) or R_Volution acquired Zappiti hardware (and became successor) but they are both French companies. Zidoo is based in Shenzhen China. Dune HD is Russian.

They are all based around the Realtek RTD1619DR chipset with very similar hardware components except the newer Zidoo players use RTD1619BPD which offers higher processing power. They all are built on Android 9 or Android 11 (newer models) but highly customized for media player role. So it really comes down to whichever one has the best software. From all the reviews I have read, Zappiti was leading in this and now R_Volution software is even better.

Did anyone of you try StreamFab or anything similar to capture content from any of the major streaming services?

StreamFab by DVDFab for downloading streaming videos from YouTube, Netflix, Disney+ and so on

Posted: 24 Nov 2023, 01:12 

The voltage change happens in the transformer. Every other component around the transformer are for filtering, rectifying AC to DC and voltage regulation. Since this is a switching-mode design, there is also a chopper circuit to increase the AC frequency. Transformers works more efficiently with high frequency AC current. Switching is added to increase 50/60Hz current to above 20 kHz so they can use much smaller transformers. Your phone charger is probably upping the AC frequency to megahertz hence they are so tiny. This high frequency switching causes noise hence they use frequencies above human hearing, it can also leak into audio and video amplifiers and cause interference. Some low pass filter is used to remove this switching noise. That’s why switch-mode power supplies are a lot more complicated and have many components.

Although the transformers look identical, the markings are different. Use a multi meter to see if the secondary side Voltages are the same. Switch-mode allows easy voltage regulation. The chopper circuit can increase or decrease the duty cycle (Percentage of time the switch remains close each cycle). The filter circuit later on would average the Voltage. A feedback loop would constantly update the chopper to keep the average Voltage at desired levels. Most circuits design to operate within +/- 20% before any protection device will trigger. That’s 96V to 144V for the US. Your utility company is obligated to provide you 120V within +/- 5% (114V to 126V).

Posted: 26 Dec 2023, 21:44 

There are very few Hi-Vision players to begin with. From Pioneer, there is the HLD-1000, HLD-X9 and HLD-X0 for the consumer market. If the X0 is the best then the X9 and the 1000 will be worse with this logic. If you compare all Laserdisc players, then the X9 is far from the worst. It really depends on your point of view and your quality threshold. If you want the cream of the crop, top 1% performance and built quality, nothing short of HLD-X0 will satisfy you. If you are fine with the top 10%, the CLD-D70X and above should make you happy.

An out of tune player can swing +/- 10% in picture quality. With this equation, a top performing CLD-D703 might even beat a poorly tuned CLD-97 or better. Smearing is a problem if you know how to see it. In this, ignorance is a bliss. Once you see the imperfections in the LD picture, your eyes will always be drawn to them.

In this age of 4K video with roughly 48 times higher resolution, it is difficult to not find imperfections in the LD picture even with the best player and setup. If you are getting into LDs now for quality, I have bad news for you, you probably won’t ever be satisfied. If you are getting into it for nostalgia and some rare content then any player in great working condition should do the trick except maybe the very low end ones.

Posted: 01 Jan 2024, 20:48 

@efishell, I just noticed, you are the first person to post here from Türkiye.

@admin, Julien, you got the Turkish flag mixed up with the Tunisian one in profiles ;)

Attachment:
IMG_0508.png

Turkish flag

Posted: 01 Feb 2024, 03:49 

I don't think 2.35~2.55:1 was required but it boosted tickets sales with their panoramic screens, triple-synced projectors (Cinerama, Kinopanorama), 70mm reels (Super Technirama, Super Panavision, Ultra Panavision) to bring an experience that felt different from TV sets.

Julien

A French man did this first. Abel Gance’s Napoleon had its ending projected onto 3 different screens.

https://preview.redd.it/abel-gances-napol%C3%A9on-1927-was-over-nine-hours-long-and-v0-kett2iqtaq1c1.gif?width=506&auto=webp&s=7cd4292ea4f651d2a9322dfe918c1f8c48a7266b

Posted: 11 Feb 2024, 23:29 

I will let Ben Affleck explain why

Post subject: Re: VideoCD (VCD) replay
Posted: 12 Feb 2024, 21:40 

Was there any commercially released SuperVCD? Maybe some bootleg but I don’t recall any movie had a legit SuperVCD release. it is a shame because SuperVCD looked pretty good compared to VCD.

I remember back in the day no name Chinese VCD players were the best because they could play anything you throw at it including SuperVCD and DiVx. Most modern Blu-ray and 4K UHD players don’t play even regular VCD now.

Posted: 17 Feb 2024, 23:57 

Are you sure they have unlimited funds and aren't just living in their parents apartment's closet????
People are not thinking about their future 1 month in advance let alone 1 year
and spending too much on this stuff to inflate the value right now.

I started collecting movies early on when I was a teenager and broke. I am making significantly more money now. I was buying a lot more movies and paying a lot more for each when I was broke. Although I have more funds now, I have a lot more options with my money. Sinking thousands into a dead format or even into a hobby in general is never among the top options now.

I am not saying this person is broke by any chance but this is my honest story. With my limited funds and limited career reach, I felt buying a rare movie at a few hundred $ was a quick trophy and something to look forward to.

Posted: 11 Mar 2024, 02:15 

I am selling my Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD Signature Series 60 inch Plasma Display . I am the original owner of this display. I bought the very last unit in Best Buy's inventory in late 2008 when Pioneer ceased production of all plasma displays.

This is the very last generation and the flagship model of Pioneer for the US market. It has a killer 3D comb filter for its analog video inputs, comparable to Crystalio II and Lumagen Radiance 2144. It has a true pure mode which it bypasses all processing if an external video processor is used. This is unique to Pioneer plasmas.

It comes with the original packaging and all accessories including the original remote. I will include the signed letter by the Pioneer engineer who hand picked parts and assembled this unit from Pioneer's Japanese factory (hence why they called it the "Signature Edition"). Its panel was factory broken-in and inspected before shipped to the US.

As many of you know me, I took upmost care and attention in maintaining this display in top condition. Upon delivery, I ran a further 200 hours of break in patterns before I played any actual video on this display. I professionally calibrated it several times with highly sophisticated color and light probes over the years. This display never really decayed in quality and always had perfect calibration results with an average delta of 1% and max error of under 2%. It has a very high contrast ratio (Kuro means black in Japanese), comparable to the current OLEDs, due to its plasma topology it has a much faster refresh rate similar to CRT display. It took me a while to get used to the much slower refresh rate on my Sony XBR OLED which ultimately replaced this TV in 2016 because I needed 4K and HDR.

It has always been connected to the very best power conditioners, cables, source device and video processors in its entire life. Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro-141FD was made as a statement piece. Pioneer opted to include no speakers, no pedestal, no tv tuner in this reference design. Instead, they included the very best panel (thinnest panel at the time), the very best electronics for both analog and digital inputs. This display retailed for $7000 in 2008, it is $11,000 adjusted for inflation in today's currency.

I will include BDI Arena 9972 Flat Panel TV Mount/Pedestal which was $789 in 2008 and is the best pedestal for any display. It is made of solid stainless steel.

I will include a very high end 3-meter long (12 feet) AudioQuest power cord ($250 value)

I will include the pro software to enable to ISF calibration settings. ($100 value)

I will include Pioneer's 2007 and 2008 Promo/Demo Blu-ray discs. These were given only to the Pioneer dealers to demonstrate the best abilities of these Pioneer Kuro displays. The discs include special video content that showcases the very fast refresh rates and the extreme black levels of this display. These discs are near impossible to find. I have these copies because I was working for a Pioneer dealer at the time.

I am asking $1000 or best offer. I am located in Laguna Niguel, California 92677. I prefer local pick up or to meet within 90 minutes to my location (Los Angeles to San Diego). I can ship it world wide at the buyer's expense and risk.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Please check out my other listings. I can offer deep bundle discounts.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Plasma/PRO-141FD

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-y9b2ZlP9NJI/p_6319972/BDI-Arena-9972-Flat-panel-TV-Mount.html

Posted: 11 Mar 2024, 02:30 

I am selling my Theta Voyager Mark II in black finish with (very rare) progressive scan upgrade option, including the original owner's manual and the remote control in excellent condition. This option adds red/blue/green component output for 480P video. Mark II is the latest iteration of Theta Voyager universal disc players which can play CDs, DVDs and Laserdiscs. I bought the unit as its second owner from a Theta dealer/showroom near Boston several years ago. It didn't come with the original packaging but I can provide adequate packaging if shipping is needed.

I will include a 1-meter (4 feet) AudioQuest high end power cable ($100 value) and Audioquest audio/video cables ($200 value) as March bonus.

I am asking $1000 net to me. I prefer local pick up from Laguna Niguel, California, 92677 or to meet within 90 minutes to my location (Los Angeles to San Diego). I can ship it world wide at the buyer's expense and risk. Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions.

Posted: 14 Apr 2024, 02:10 

I need the cash for a project this month. I can do $850 until the 2nd week of May. After that I will sit on it at $1000 for however many months/years it takes or keep it.

Posted: 18 Apr 2024, 23:35 

My eye doctor prescribed me with glasses a few years ago but I am not wearing them because I prefer to see softer and more analog world.

Posted: 19 Apr 2024, 10:04 

You could technically make arguably lossless copies on D-VHS tapes. Frankly, ripping them and using Plex or similar is probably the most efficient and least expensive. If you are watching them on a 19” CRT TV, I guess VHS will do fine like you said.

Posted: 20 Apr 2024, 22:52 

You could technically make arguably lossless copies on D-VHS tapes. Frankly, ripping them and using Plex or similar is probably the most efficient and least expensive. If you are watching them on a 19” CRT TV, I guess VHS will do fine like you said.

Thank you for your "substantive" (?) post. D-VHS would probably do this. But the tech exists in a time I don't like. The decks look goofy and the luxury is gone. I'd prefer to put visually important titles onto SVHS. Its video is better than VHS but still has that analogue smoothness. Recently did 4K Full Metal Jacket to SVHS. I much prefer the look on SVHS. I also record SACDs to metal cassettes- the harshness gets smoothed off and it's much more pleasing.

My primary monitor is a 32" wide CRT btw. Every dub I make on my Sony SLV-R5 Looks incredible to me - better than the harsh DVD.

I guess everyone can't appreciate an analogisation approach.

That’s nostalgia and possibly masochist too. You enjoy your eyes tortured with 240 lines of resolution when near 4000 lines of resolution version of the same material is in your hands. Recording high res DSD music onto 8 to 9 bit metal cassettes. You like pain.

Posted: 21 Apr 2024, 04:59 

for their time.

This is the most incorrectly used term of our generation.

They were built well FOR ANY TIME, escpecially THIS TIME. My TOTL "ES" Sony universal player is built like garbage in the 2020s. My 1990s Sony DVP was built WELL. NOT FOR ITS TIME. FOR ANY TIME!!!!

Again, this is nostalgia. You like to look at the device itself, not what it produces. Yes, newer electronics are smaller, lighter and look very different. That’s called progress. The 90s Sony DVP needed that many circuitry to do its job, that’s why it had that many circuitry. I can assure you, if they could engineer it to do the same functions with half the circuitry AT THAT TIME, they would have made it with half the circuitry. NOW, they can engineer a device with a fraction of the circuitry which produces magnitudes of better performance, therefore they are smaller, lighter and reflect their eras in their cosmetic design.
Page 9 of 10 [ Search found 230 matches ]