It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 24 Nov 2011, 02:04 

I enjoy finding vintage appliances and electronics at yard sales and thrift shops that are less than complete of not working and restoring them when possible. I think I know just about every type of mixing bowl or beaters fit which brand mixer, and what blender jar goes to which base, etc. I like getting even the lesser brands of electronics and getting them operating. Something that grew out of my Dad's repair shop.

Just two days ago I picked up a 70s Elgin 8-track amp/receiver in pretty nice shape, walnut finish, just all dirty and such, for $5 and got a set of bookshelf Sanyo walnut finish speakers that match it perfectly for $7. After a good clean-up, and an 8-track tape popped in, it worked fine. Also has good AM and FM pickup and two inputs for phono & aux. That was fun. If I don't keep it, I'll make sure it gets a good home.

Posted: 03 Mar 2012, 06:01 

You can get many parts for an LX900u from other Panny models that used the same framework, meaning the 2cnd gen dual-side players made after the LX1000u.

Posted: 15 Aug 2012, 07:33 

My CLD-D515 (somewhat similar) had the same problem. The load belt was taut enough to pull the tray in, but not enough to lift all that load of stuff to lock the disc into place, and if the disc isn't locked in, no spin and a spit-out happens.

Replace that load belt, clean the pulleys and relube where needed, if needed.

Posted: 12 Sep 2012, 01:03 

Well, that was a player I sent, which was just fine when it left, but of course arrival is a different matter. You'd think since it was priority mail service it would have been handled better, which the post office here claims it was up to the point of customs over there. After that they claim no responsibility.

So I suspect it was a sudden jar or even maybe sat upside down while jostling around in a truck, no way to know.

The problem is evidently a mechanical issue, and perhaps something got jarred out of place. I was thinking maybe also the belt slipping since you stated that the load assembly attempts to drop down before playing and seems to get stuck at that point. Whatever it is, it has to be some minor item either out of step or alignment, or even a small piece dislodged?

Or just the tray slightly askew at an angle and not in perfect parallel position to the tracks. EG, both sides of the tray have gearteeth and maybe one geartooth is ahead by a spot or two compared to the other side.

In regards to the A to B side turn, maybe an obstruction of some sort since the assemply moves fine on the lower track and the track is a U track and not a flip-turn type.

Here's a trick to be able to watch the turn better, get a smaller LD, like the 8 inch size that was available for some music and karaoke releases. I don't know if there's a smaller than 8 inch LD, but at least this will give you more of an unobstructed view of the attempted turn.

I don't know if this will work, but maybe load a CD into the tray and just hit the side B button to close the tray and start play. Usually when you do that the laser goes right off to side B. In other words, trick the laser into going to side B. You might try that first with an LD in the tray and see what happens.

Of course, I just realized that the laser will not go to side B if the tray does not move into the proper position for side B play. I cannot recall specifically about this player, but some others I remember actually lift up the whole disc clamp section and set it into a position while the disc stops spinning and goes the other way, then the laser assembly moves the rest of the way up the track to the top side.

Seems like I remember this happening with that U=turn style of track on both Sony and Panasonic players. If so, then it's still a slipping belt or tray getting struck issue.

Posted: 19 Sep 2012, 03:10 

I don't blame you. I swore off the 500 series except for the 504 and 505, the AC3 models, For some interesting reason, the midrange AC3 players are better built than the others. I mean the 406, 504, 505, 604 and 605. They all have the U-turn laser assembly track which is simpler and more reliable and less problems with tray opening, plus quieter and faster too.

If I was getting a midprice model, it would be one of those, and likely the 406, 604 or 605 since they also have optical output.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]