Posted: 09 Mar 2012, 14:13 

Pioneer all the way for me!

My main players (In various rooms) are:

Pioneer Elite LD-S2
Pioneer Elite CLD-97
Pioneer Elite CLD-99 (2 of them)

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 08 Jul 2012, 02:14 

What did you pay for the msb upgrades if you dont mind me asking. I went onto their webpage they ask a thousand to a few thousand for upgrades of current cd/bd players. Maybe they were more reasonable back then,given even a cheap player was a thousand or so. Now you can buy a already super good oppo bd player for $500. I dont know how many people would pay 2-3k on top of that to upgrade. Then I know lexicon bd playet is oppo rebadge with 2500 markup or theta rebadge with some mods with 2k markup. You never know

The mods were done back in 1997 and cost me just about $400. They were much cheaper for everything then. Now their prices are outrageous for what they provide. They are still willing to add am AC-3 output to an LD player but want more than 500 for it.

Posted: 24 Sep 2013, 21:18 

I have a CLD-D703 on the way, should be here next week. Two months ago I had zero LDs and players, now I have 75 LDs and three players. :crazy: :thumbup:

Posted: 12 Oct 2014, 19:12 

On these/most players Y/C separation(comb filter) occurs early in the chain right after ADC(analog to digital convertor). Digitized signal is then fed into TBC(time base corrector). Higher quality players have (DVNR)digital video noise reduction available after TBC. Some players have basic on/off type(i.e. CLD-97) and some have more comprehensive settings(i.e. CLD-704,99 etc.) like multi-step luminance and chrominance noise reduction, sharpness etc.. After this, on simpler players right after TBC, on more advance players right after TBC + DVNR the separated signal is combined again(Y+C) for composite output and kept separate for S-Video output.

In theory, if you separate Y and C and later combine with identical filter(in reverse), the output should be equal to the original(no change) regardless 2D or 3D comb filtering as long as they perform same parameters. Keep in mind that these are digital signal processing(signal is already digitized at the comb filter) therefore you can apply a function and then apply the same function in reverse to come back to the original signal without any loss(cant say the same in analog/continuous time). So given this, 3D comb filter setting or any setting should not have any effect in the composite output since the same setting in reverse will be applied at the end to undo what the first filter did.

Now there is a 3rd option only few players employ. All above process is the same however instead of leaving Y and C separate and directly feeding them into S-video output, some players combine the signal anyway and then employ an additional comb filter here for S-video output. For example CLD-704 has a 2D comb filter to do above process and uses the same type filter to combined for composite output. CLD-99 uses this same exact board but adds a second comb filter(this time 3D comb filter) to separate the once combined signal. SO all early processing(TBC, DVNR, sharpness) happens after and 2D comb and combined with 2D comb again then separated by a 3D comb filter at the end. Some argue this is a design flaw however if above paragraph is true, it shouldn't matter. Why did they chose this way? It was probably cheaper to add a 3D comb at the end then re-designing the entire board around a 3D comb design. Pioneer engineers probably deemed the outcome would come out the same anyway(who are we to argue:)

To answer your question,the 3D comb filter setting on my HLD-X0 has tremendous effect on its S-Video output and no effect in composite output. I use the composite output as I think the 3D comb filter in the Crystalio II is slightly better than the one in HLD-X0. I left the setting at 2 because I have its S-Video output hooked up to a capture card. I hope this helps:)

Post subject: Re: DTS stereo?
Posted: 25 Aug 2016, 20:30 

New Line used DTS exclusively on "The Mask." DTS offered a "Dolby Surround" compatible 4:2:4 soundtrack on the feature prints, called DTS Stereo. Since using "Dolby Surround" or "Dolby Stereo" would require the payment of royalties, the DTS stereo option was covered by the royalties already paid for DTS 6-Track.

That same 4:2:4 track is what all 2.0 channel stereo programs for "The Mask" used. No Dolby royalties on the video if they don't say "Dolby" on the jacket, and provided they didn't use a dolby encoder when making the 4:2:4 track.

For the Dolby Digital LD, the PCM track is still the DTS Stereo mix. On the DTS LD, the Analog tracks are DTS Stereo (incorrectly listed here on LDDB as Dolby Surround).

Post subject: Re: DTS Collection Complete
Posted: 04 Dec 2017, 20:25 

I completed my DTS collection back in January (worldwide) - the last holdouts were "Schlafes Bruder" from Germany and the test pressing of "Jurassic Park".

Post subject: Re: DTS Collection Complete
Posted: 06 Dec 2017, 19:00 

There are a handful of stand-alone DTS decoders:
McIntosh MSD4
Parasound P/DD-1550
Millennium 2.4.6

The Millennium does ONLY DTS. The McIntosh and Parasound units do DD and DTS.

Posted: 19 Jun 2019, 17:06 

Most LD movies can’t be sold even at 1/4 their original price. I almost never buy anything for more that retail.

The Matrix was like $40-70 when it came out. It had a trillion moron fans who even like the sequels so a brief trend of it selling for $300 twenty years later isn’t really that meaningful. MUSE titles have almost always been expensive because they made so few for such a small time span. Meanwhile %95 of the other 65,000 LD titles are at like $7 if not $0.70

So IMO LD is a hobby you can go totally broke on but it’s also very cheap compared to most hobbies as long as you decide you aren’t a power collector and that you only need 45 sealed discs that all cost $800 each. There are these weirdos who don’t watch LD or have an LD library they have a “collection”, much of it unopened, all the titles are hot stuff they are only buying because other people told them too. They collect late releases mostly. Those champions of humanity will massively drive the price up on a small selection of stuff (often literally just posting a range of catalog numbers they want like a broken robot born with no heart or something) but they will never make the entire hobby go up in price because they don’t even know what movies are unless they are valuable collectables. The almost never buy ANY of the actual cool stuff, just whatever sells for the most on eBay. It’s a blessing that that there are just way too many LDs out there and too few collectards to jack the price up on everything.

I did not invent the word collectard but I have used it a lot because it’s perfect.

If you want a good copy of The Matrix I’d suggest Blu-ray. If the color timing matters make a special calibration for just that purpose and save $250. :)
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 8 matches ]