It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 4 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
Posted: 16 Oct 2017, 01:00 

Agreed on all points benmbe. I thought it measured up to the original in every way (well except maybe the soundtrack).

Harrison Ford also had one of his better performances, especially when looking at his recent films.

As for Denis Villeneuve directing a new Dune, that would be interesting. Dune is a difficult book to translate to the screen, but I think he would be better equipped to handle it.

Post subject: Dune (1984)
Posted: 27 Feb 2018, 01:34 

I feel like talking about one of my favorite movies, David Lynch's Dune.

I saw this movie at such a young age, I think I was always able to look past its flaws. I understand when folks say they don't enjoy it, but it was so seminal for me. There is something about movies you loved as a kid and watched over and over, that they essential define your taste in movies. Certain beats in the film still give me goosebumps like the ending with Toto's wailing guitars. Yes Alia's voice over there is pretty ham-handed, but again, I never saw it as such. Or even the way the mysteries of Dune were unfolded in the movie. All very compelling to a sci-fi obsessed 8 year old.

Also the special effects are widely considered pretty naff, even by 1980s standards. But they still look better in some ways then some CGI today.

I saw the movie before I read the novels, but by 12 I fixed that. I read the first book easily every year through my teens. It truly is one of the great sci-fi reads.

And while Lynch's film will never measure up the book, it still stands as a great cult movie and one I will always enjoy.

So what do others think about the movie? Love, hate or otherwise? I always like to hear from folks who saw it in theaters. Still want to see this one on a big screen one day.

Posted: 28 Apr 2020, 02:18 

Just picked up Freaked (1993) [8560-80]. Haven't seen it in years. I remember liking Alex Winter's The Idiot Box on MTV, and this has the same vibe to it. The practical effects hold up well and the movie is funnier than I remember, though the humor is quite juvenile. I enjoyed it for it what it was.

Posted: 21 Jan 2022, 15:51 

Just bumping this to see if anyone had any ideas.

In the meantime we found a replacement player but would love to be able to get this one working again at some point. Can't ever have enough LD players :)
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 4 matches ]