It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 33 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 30 Dec 2011, 17:50 

I was fortunate enough to get into the laserdisc format, just before it started on the downward slope (of the most popular format of choice) in spring ''begining of April in fact'' of 1998.

After many years of riding motorcycles I decided to change my mode of transport to a car a Golf MK3 (of which I still have,& well looked after.)
My main reason why I went to four wheels was mainly because my Mother was disabled, her marriage to my step Dad was a very unhappy one for 29yrs, so I began spending more time with Mum taking her out on the odd occasions, also with Mum being wheelchair bound out of doors meant, that I needed the boot space of which the Honda 1500se Goldwing motorcycle did'nt have.

I had gone from the 4 x sports motorcycles and crossed over to the grand tourers I achieved all that I wanted to with motorcycles, and so it was time to move on.

I had recieved many shares from the Building Society at the time, and cashed them in straight away being at their highest return, plus the funds from the sale of my motorcycle, I then decided to return to home Audio with the addition of Video electronics.

I first noticed the DVL-909 Laserdisc player and thought I like this and so purchased it, along with a number of high end Sony ES full size Audio seperates.

To begin with I purchased a number of PAL laserdisc's, thinking these were great ''however,'' nothing could have prepared me for what I would eventually experience with the NTSC Players & LD's over the next few months and years ahead.

I would journey around 70 miles each way to purchase as many Laserdisc's as I could, on and at times a weekly basis,
spending hundreds if not thousands on Laserdisc's.

One of my first WOW!!!! experiences came when I had just purchased the 1998 Roland Emmerichs blockbuster of Godzilla, and the !!BASS SLAM!! when the creature stomped from the Hudson bay and onto the fishing docks reduced myself to giggling like a little child........I thought well this is it for me:)

I have had a great many similar experiences ever since then.
I have a great fondness for the Laserdisc format. . . . . . .And this same fondness is with Laserdisc today, as it was back then.

The Laserdisc format although expensive for the customer, you became part of an experience that was exclusive and tangible, way beyond what todays formats can ever offer in terms of pride of ownership.

This experience even extended to the hardware, and owning a number of Elite Players I have no regrets about the many hours (mostly seven days a week) in which I used to work, in order to import these masterpieces of engineering, the ebony finish and refinement.........Pioneer TRULY PLACED MUCH pride in producing these items of equipment and it showed.

I get as excited today in purchasing Laserdisc's as I did when I started out, and shall look forward to my next order of which has been a long time coming. . . . . .reserved by Mr Santini who is a good man and very patient.

I have gone through many challenges over the years, and in 2012 I shall finally realise a 14year goal of having my equipment setup and on made to measure support stands, and being in my first home.

Yes I am nuts about the Laserdisc format however, I can think of a lot worse things to waste my money on.

There are many other experiences that I could share here but I think i've written enough.

All the best everyone and take good care of yourselves

elahrairrah, ejjames, laserbite34 & laserarena89,
I enjoyed reading your experiences, this adds to our appreciation and understanding of other members.

Sincerest regards

:wave: :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: Any Favs?
Posted: 22 Mar 2015, 05:59 

Good morning Guys and Girls,

A very interesting Subject, the answer can vary at times of mood, the age of ones life, and where a person was at any particular time in their lives.

However there are the core movies that have left their mark and stay at the top of ones list;

1) ARSENIC AND OLD LACE WITH CARY GRANT..........BRILLIANT, FUNNY WITTY ECT.
2) CITIZEN CANE........ORSON WELLS HAD QUITE A UNIQUE STYLE.
3) THE THIRD MAN.........ORSON WELLS.
4) THE MAN WHO KNEW TO MUCH......
5) ANY MOVIE WITH DORIS DAY......''I ALWAYS HAD A SOFT SPOT FOR THIS DIGNIFIED, ELEGANTLY DRESSED WOMAN'' AND THE VOICE OF AN ANGEL...............SHE IS STILL ALIVE AS FAR AS I KNOW......
6) REAR WINDOW........JAMES STEWART / DIRECTOR ALFRED HITCHCOCK.
7) LAUREL AND HARDY..........TO MANY TO LIST HERE.
8) ABBOTT & COSTELLO........TO MANY TO LIST HERE.
9) CHARLIE CHAPLIN..........THE GREAT DICTATOR.......AND OTHERS.
10) GENE KELLY.......SINGING IN THE RAIN......AND MANY OTHERS.
11) FRED ASTAIRE AND GINGER ROGERS.........TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST HERE.
12) THREE STOOGES.............GREAT FUN......TO MANY TO LIST HERE.
13) FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.
14) DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.........EPIC.
15) BEN HUR..............EPIC.
16) TEN COMMANDMENTS.....CHARLTON HESTON.
17) ANY MOVIE WITH LAURENCE OLIVIER....INCLUDING SPARTACUS.
18) ANY MOVIE WITH KIRK DOUGLAS.......
19) JAMES DEAN / EAST OF EDEN / GIANT / REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE AND ANOTHER.
20) CLEOPATRA WITH ELIZABETH TAYLOR & RICHARD BURTON........
21) CLINT EASTWOOD ........ALL SPAGETTI WESTERNS WITH & HIM LEE VAN ClEEF
22) DIRTY HARRY COLLECTION BOX SET (I HAVE)
23) IN LIKE FLINT AND MAN LIKE FLINT.......AND ANY OTHER MOVIES WITH JAMES COBURN
24) THE GREAT ESCAPE / PAPILLON.......DUSTIN HOFFMAN AND STEVE MCQUEEN.
25) WHERE EAGLES DARE.........RICHARD BURTON AND CLINT EASTWOOD.
26) NORMAN WISDOM..........TO MANY TO LIST.
27) ANY MOVIE FROM EALING STUDIOS........COMEDIES ECT
28) THE BODY SNATCHERS.....WITH ALEK GUINESS / A BRIDGE TOO FAR......AND MANY OTHERS.
29) LAURENCE OF ARABIA....
30) A NUMBER OF MOVIES WITH JACK PALLANCE / ANTHONY QUINN / ALAN LADD / VICTOR MATURE / JAMES MASON (WHAT A UNIQUE SPOKEN VOICE)
31) ROGER MORE AND TONY CURTIS IN THE SAINT.
32) THE CIRCUS / THE BIG TOP.........WITH BURT LANCASTER, JOHN WAYNE AND TONY CURTIS.
33) SOME MOVIES WITH VINCENT PRICE / PETER CUSTING / MALCOLM MCDOWELL / JOHN MILLS....MANY MOVIES.
34) GONE WITH THE WIND .........WITH CLARK GABLE...........OTHER MOVIES WITH HIM IN.
35) PATTON WITH GEORGE C SCOTT.
36) JAMES CAGNEY A MAN WITH A THOUSAND FACES........AND MANY OTHERS.
37) THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE
38) THE ZEPPELIN..........
39) BUSTER KEATON........MANY MOVIES.
40) THE STING .......WITH ROBERT REDFORD.
41) BUTCH CASSIDY AND SUNDANCE KID.
42) YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.........GENE WILDER / STIR CRAZY.......FUNNY
43) HOT TIN ROOF........
44) FROM HERE TO ETERNITY........BURT LANCASTER.
45) AIRPORT 1975.....
46) EARTHQUAKE........1970'S I THINK WITH CHARLTON HESTON.
47) AMERICAN GRAFFITI .......WITH HARRISON FORD / RICHARD DREYFUSS / RON HOWARD ECT....
48) STAR WARS ORIGINALS (CUED TO WATCH ALL THREE) i DIDN'T MIND THE RE-TWEAKED VERSIONS EITHER.....THAT'S ME. ( I HAVE ALL VERSIONS)
49) MINORITY REPORT...........TOM CRUZ
50) WAR OF THE WORLDS OLD AND NEW (ALTHOUGH I THOUGHT THE NEWEST VERSION COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER)
51) ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ............A.I
52) MATRIX 1 / 2 & 3.........ALTHOUGH 3 WAS OUT OF IT'S DEPTH IN SOME WAYS.......NEVER MIND.
53) LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY / DIRECTORS EXTENDED CUTS
54) THE HOBBIT ALL THREE MOVIES.
55) GODZILLA 1998.............NOW I LIKE THIS MOVIE AND HAVE MOST VERSIONS INCLUDING JAPANESE BOX SET.
56) VANILLA SKY.....WITH TOM CRUZ.
57) MAGNOLIA........WITH TOM CRUZ.
58) FOR WHOM THE BELL THOLES.
59) THE ALAMO.......ALL ACTORS GREAT
60) THE BIRDS........SCARY.
61) TIME MACHINE OLD AND NEW VERSIONS.
62) MEMENTO.....DIRECTING THIS WAS SOME TRIAL I BET.
63) TAMING OF THE SHREW...........
64) WHATEVER BECAME OF BABY JANE........
65) MAN OF STEEL ..........SUPER MAN RETURNS.....BOTH GOOD.
66) MOVIES WITH JOAN CRAWFORD WOW!.........AND THE MANY OTHER ACTRESSES OF THEIR TIME.
67) THE THING.........1982 I THINK.......KIRT RUSSELL
68) THEY LIVE........BOY DO THEY YES THEY DO AMONG US
69) TRUE LIES........JAMIE LEE KIRTIS AND ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER.........DTS LASERDISC WOW!
70) BLADE RUNNER WITH COMMENTARY ( HAVE ALL VERSIONS + HDDVD BOX SET) SAW THIS ON THE CINEMA WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT IN 1982..........GREAT MOVIE
71) SAVING PRIVATE RYAN......WOW! AMAZING SOUND
72) THIN RED LINE............GREAT PICTURE / THE SOUND / MUSIC SCORE AND COMMENTARY.

Hey guys there are so many more that I could list here......AND HAVE SO MANY FAVS

Kind regards

Posted: 17 Aug 2017, 07:35 

Good Day Julien,

Good day: Signofzeta, Je280, Firehorse_44, rein-o, Edwin240170, Laserdisc_fan, Hippiedalek, Audioboyz1973, Kingpin, Xtempo, Megarat, and to all the other members here.

Well done on the 15years milestone, and thank you for all that you have done for us all here.

If it wasn't for LDDB I wouldn't have had such an immediate access to the Japanese versions of the movies that I hold dear.

I have spent many thousands of Dollars & Pound Sterling doing business with Julien and Nicolas Santini (who you kindly recommended to myself Julien.)

Julien has travelled great distances to study in Canada ect and with his Entrepreneurial spirit and determination, he has indeed endured and stayed the course.

You like so many of us have gone through your own unique challenges However, what has stayed with you is your loyalty to this site and the additional forum that was added by your good self, as a recognition for the need of LD Collectors and enthusiasts to have a central point a Community.

Julien always gave a superb level of service to myself personally, with a level of professionalism that is very rare nowadays.
This level of service is a testament and speaks volumes of who you are as a person with integrity and truth.

Thanks to this site / forum I have made Good Friends here, and one in particular is a Friend and Brother for life.
I shall refrain from mentioning the individual's name as I would never wish to embarrass, suffice to say that Trust and the Garnered Respect that has been gained over time means so much.

This welcome celebration may help us all here to form new bonds of Friendship, or strengthen the relations we already have here. May this also heighten each of our appreciation for what this site provides.

Do we reach out more? Well' I know of others here who have also formed good Friendships, as a result of many elements from each person's character, personalities and experiences from doing business LD Repairs ect.

Let's all continue to make this site even more unique than it already is, and one extends the hand of Friendship to each of you.

Remember everyone without people this site would not exist.

People and the many personalities here united by a common interest in Laserdisc and Home Theatre, and yet we are all far more than this and have so much more to share.

A good deal of this sharing is through the post's and topics that we start or reply to However, there is another form of sharing, and that is through the Personal Messaging element of this forum ''Friendships are important''

Thank you Julien and all the Members here with appreciation.

Sincerest Regards to everyone

P.S. Love the picture of the Cake :)

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

Posted: 12 Oct 2017, 00:42 

Good evening / Morning paper,

Good question;
This is something that I am looking into Composite to HDMI.

A retailer of trust is making a few phone calls for me, and so hopefully I shall have an update in the next few weeks or longer.
Available funds are a little thin, but the retailer discussed and we agreed on myself placing a deposit when something reasonable and suitable is found.

I shall let you know,

Kind Regards to you

:thumbup: :wave:

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
Posted: 15 Oct 2017, 03:35 

Premier at Showcase Winnersh / Reading Thursday 05, 21:50pm

Review of Blade Runner 2049 movie by benmbe, Oct 6, 2017.

I had the good fortune of Watching the original Blade runner on the big screen, and so when I heard that the follow up was coming along, I knew I had to watch this in the Movie theatre once again.

After a long time in the making I was really getting excited about this long overdue follow up Blade Runner 2049.

Around 2 1/2 Hours viewingtime: I was pleasantly surprised at the opening sequence, the expansive ATMOS theatre sound struck my senses like the first Movie, the steady pace of this movie unfolded with good character building, of which drew the viewer in.

Don't know if others who viewed this movie would agree, or maybe not as each movie is subjective for each viewer However, I would highlight the silence and stillness when looking at each of the character's faces with each scene, had the ability to draw you in............ It was a pleasing change from the usual action / explosions throughout other movies.

It gave a sense of space and Led ones mind to contemplate, reflect yes the audience were given the opportunity to work along with the whole experience.

The music score although not Vangelis, was however very respectfully conveyed with equal aplomb & conjured up memories of the original movie experience. The sheer expansiveness of the bass clout impacted the viewer, One connected with Blade Runners craft flying over the vast city and landscapes.

I could mention so much more here, and I shall leave the rest of the movie details for others to fill in what I have neglected to mention here.

In summing up the Movie I would express the following:
To all those who experienced the first Movie, and left the theatre with a feeling of satisfaction, having recognised that such an experience was rare and satisfying. 2049 holds it's own as an equally unique experience, and although what I have conveyed here is mentioned above subjective, I am confident that others (but not all) will be equally pleased.

I shall look forward to owning this on 4K Blu-Ray.

This movie will be a good test disc for Video Files.

Kind Regards to everyone

Pros

I was pleasantly surprised by the Elvis Presley / Frank Sinatra Holographic performances
The Pace and silence whilst focussing of facial expression was involving.
Harrison Ford's performance was a pleasure, and other surprises were welcome.

Cons

To be honest for me personally there were no negatives or / cons.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 15 Dec 2017, 01:59 

WOW I must have not really been into anime when I was younger, or I really didn't care about this title.
Never really heard of it, name is familiar but who kind of cares.

Eyes are just too much in a bad way, why did they have to do that.

I remember a time when I used to like movies.....

Good evening Rein-o

I hear you.

P.S Something through the movie industry has been lacking over the past few years.
Rare exceptions included here of course However, I feel they are becoming fewer as time goes by........... Our eyes and minds may become clearer as the years pass by.......... do we not see things as they are....... I am not as captivated as I once was..... But the AV Interest lives on and one shall endure...... to find the rare Gems out there.

Kind Regards to you Friend

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone!
Posted: 17 Feb 2018, 22:51 

Good evening Denson,

Warmest of Welcomes to this forum and hope you enjoy each visit.

Thank you for sharing a little about yourself and of your Laserdisc enthusiasm.
I could relate to your comments ect.

Kindest Regards

:wave: :wave: :thumbup:

Posted: 25 Feb 2018, 04:36 

Good day Confederate, Signofzeta, Takeshi666, Giannis, Van-Dammage, Nissling, Forper, Rein-o, Firehorse_44, Laserdisc_fan, Je280, Xtempo & Blam1

I hope that you are all well and taking good care of yourselves and your Families,

The subject of expensive, extortionately priced beyond 99% of peoples reach is something that I have an issue with regardless of any viewpoint.

On the Lddb Sellers Shops there are titles such as TITAN A.E & THE SIXTH DAY that are ''with an asking price of $5000'' and when I enquired about one of these, the answer was to the effect of (and I shall try and be as accurate here as I can.) the seller replied by mentioning that it's not for sale but they leave this on view just to see if someone is crazy enough to pay and then they may think about it if someone does.

My answer to that is this and please forgive me here but I am just expressing my own personal view: Are you Kidding me! / and I don't think I would ever do business with such people I mean that, just for the shear front and greediness / Call it arrogance / Call it such a Front and so on and so forth..........

If people say they are not selling and are playing games, then they should not have such titles on display PERIOD!

The majority of the membership who are active on this forum come across as fair unique individuals, whose viewpoints that are worthy of reading, weather I agree with what is shared here or not, and that's the beauty and joy of visiting this forum.

As I read the members replies / Comments I am feel honoured in getting to know a little insight into each person's personality Thoughtfulness, care, balanced or unbalanced views, partial or impartial Comments or views.
Reading between the lines with each message read, one discovers that each member is conveying as best they can (myself included) the way they see things at any particular time, or frame of mind.

I reasonably consider each individuals views and why they have posted a comment in such a way, & consider others personal concerns that maybe going on in their personal life, and some show this more than others and I appreciate each that.

Now here is my point Guys with all balance intended here;

I have mentioned the following words before on previous posts, and for those who have not read them I shall try my best to convey here.

I have spent up to $456 for around 6 Laserdisc titles each in my collection, and some I have 2 of, not for profit or to sell one at some point it's just personal.

I do not have money to throw away ''However Laserdisc is a collectors market'' When I personally mention collectors market I personally mean I cherish this format ''it's personal to myself ''

I have been doing business with Nicholas Santini for the last 'let's say' for around 15 years now.

He moved from France to Japan in 2000-2001 roughly and then around three years ago moved to Australia and is still unpacking 10,000 Laserdisc's and with a good deal of Hardware back in Japan in storage.
funds
Nicholas reserved many LD Titles for me around 12 years ago and I sent available funds when I could afford it every few weeks / months and in recent years available funds have become less.

This has been mostly due to other matters going on in my life, The loss of my mother being the one in charge of her savings, then I equally shared the Mums savings to each member of my Family (still settling my twin who has a long time drug related unhealthy dependence,) / car Repairs, Cut in wages and so on.

It's not about me here understand, but for the sake of the subject matter in question so bare with me and thank you for reading.

When I communications with Mr Santini I expressed my apologies for not being able to pay him any quicker than I am able, of which he doesn't have a problem with, and that we have over time garnered ''TRUST'' between us.

Mr Santini knows the kind of person I am and that we understand each other well enough, he has informed me that due to his other business activities and travelling from his Country of dwelling to the next, that I am the only Customer at this time who he is doing LD Business with, due to his priorities with other business ventures.

So here is my Point sorry I will now finally mention, I just thought by giving some personal background we can all find some common Ground on a united front;
I have spent a lot of money on Laserdisc's because I love the format, this has for the most part not been easy.

I have invested heavily into the Format and worked up to 120 hours in the past years from 1998-2003, in order to acquire the software and hardware that one desired of which has also been a journey (one cold write a book, ''no really'' and humbly I mean this, as it's been a journey.)

There is a Title ''Titan A.E'' £100 imported to the UK at the time, to be honest I cannot see myself owning but, came so close just before release However, the seller in London at the time would not take a deposit to reserve of which was sad....... Literally a week or two before release: I purchased The Phantom Menace / Star Wars Remastered box set and then drove home 26 miles away.

A good number of people who have purchased TITAN A.E paid a handsome price, and so they want some profit understandably but not $5000 that to my mind is just Hideous sorry it is.
Truth be known I own this title on US DVD, but has not been released on Blu-Ray as yet I have searched and it has not so on Blu-Ray.com I have registered my interest and for them to inform myself when it may become available if they get enough interest in this title.

I want this title on Laserdisc it's not complicated.

So regardless of any movie weather widescreen or pan and scan, if sellers are trying it on with ridiculous Pricing ''I personally find it hard to ever trust them sheerly because of the greed aspect.

Like Signofzeta has most eloquently mentioned, that Laserdisc was already expensive when in production ''especially but not exclusively coming from Japan''

My desire to spend $1000 on a Laserdisc has in recent years diminished due to the this being ridiculous and certain titles have become unobtainable I have had enough sadly to say but true.
I currently have a new sealed ''The Sixth Day'' reserved at $456 and another approximately 15 titles, of which includes new sealed A Man Like Flint and In Like Flint James Coburn box set around $150?.
Young Indiana Box set x 2 price to be finalised.
T2 with a Black OBI $175? Squeezed I already have the other squeezed T2
There are others to be purchased and mostly 1940-1960's black & white and colour Japanese versions as I love the way the Japanese packaged Laserdiscs / the gatefolds are superb.

Sorry for going on but just wanted to convey a selfless account that we can relate to here Guys.

Thank you for reading my rant and also sharing in my own way your thoughts in some way ''I hope''

Sincerest Regards to everyone

:wave: :thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

Posted: 07 Mar 2018, 05:52 

Good morning Therussian,

Thank you for sharing this video,

I have this Japanese Box Set and the Regular Japanese and USA Release, they are all great and am happy that I own them.

I shall have to give them (or at Least one) a spin on my days off.

To be honest I prefer the 1998 version than the latest iteration/s....

Kind Regards to you

Posted: 18 Mar 2018, 22:38 

Good day Gentlemen ie,

Marcham93, Audioboyz1973, Signofzeta, Rein-o, Takeshi666, Elahrairrah, Forper, Laserdisc_fan, Randyv, Tasuke & Je280,

Laserdisc_fan: The Blue Nile - Downtown Lights Love Blue Nile that band produce great musical works (Thank you for sharing.)

Guys I have just read all of your posts, and to be honest my pennies worth is quite redundant However, as a fellow member who appreciates the company here, and as words of thanks for each view point and comments conveyed by all of the above.

Marcham93 Thank you for starting this Subject;
Each person here is an individual who's right it is to freely express, and equally by taking the time (in fact I am at work but I Made the time to read all of your comments.) I used this time wisely as Contractors carrying out their duties meant that I had to stay where I was..... So here I am.

Each one' weather (and from) the initial intro, and there afterward I Genuinely enjoyed and reflected upon and thought of my own experiences with the formats I have: CD / MD / LD / DVD / HD DVD / BLU-RAY & BLU-RAY 4K ........ I love this hobby and all that it brings.

A level of civility here is to be maintained at all times, otherwise this forum will fade in it's appeal to all those who cherish coming here and contributing with each unique angle.

I could convey many things here ''that for all intents and purposes have been covered in my previous posts''

Due to the many hours I work, when coming off shift it takes time to clear ones mind, I haven't watched a laserdisc on my new TV for many months, I need more cables analogue to HDMI converter and other items are in need of purchase and completion........ Available disposable income after bills and so on.

The latest TV's have less Legacy inputs and this poses what can be obstacles....... Laserdisc is a format that I shall never part with, and my aim is to get all of these connections and other connections sorted, however it has been slow.....I invested heavily into the Laserdisc Format and for good reason ''I am so glad I did at the time''

I still have around £1200 worth of laserdiscs to pay for from a trusted seller who reserved and I shall see this through........Hopefully by end of this year 2018.
After this my laserdisc collecting will be 99% complete apart from the odd title here and there.

To be honest it's been a long arduous journey, a downright struggle if I am completely honest....... But Remains the best Format for me personally.

However I only purchase 4K Blu-Ray discs now, unless one of the studios only releases the Blu-Ray version of a title I like.

I have The MATRIX on DVD / (LD Preferred) and HD DVD (Warners rotters Damn it) and so with the announcement that this is coming out on 4K pleases me greatly.

I have been informed that Star Trek Voyager will not be released on Blu-Ray, as The Next Generation re-mastered onto Blu-Ray box sets did not sell as well as hoped
So it looks like I shall purchase the above on DVD, sometimes you go with what is available, it can be disappointing at times but that's the way it is, and we all know that.

Guys as mentioned above I am grateful for reading each of your viewpoints and passion of such.

I enjoy 4K for what it offers and when done right is superb, and when Purchasing from the USA can cost up to £42-50 inclusive of postage & taxes, and if I have the funds to do this then I do so with joy knowing that I have purchased something exclusive for me personally....... It's personal that's all.

I prefer physical media, however there is room for both and shall be looking at the purchase of a media Hard drive for my music needs as I am a member of a numerous specialised online retailers.
There is so much music 24bit studio masters that I have listened to that are superb, but around 20% that I would like to own on CD is not on offer, so download it will need to be.

My Point is this and we can all relate to this I am sure: I want quality in music and Movies and so, if it's available I will go with what is shall purchase the necessary in order to obtain....., It takes time with all of these things as we all know.

The main thing is that we enjoy our purchases and enjoy the experiences that accompany such fruits of our labours.

I for one appreciate: Marcham93 viewpoints of which are Genuinely valid...... What ever your needs are go with it and enjoy, and I look forward to the reading from you on any subject that you may have.

One of the reasons why I like this site ''especially to post on like no other'' is because it's quite a unique experience here......... I like that and hope with all seriousness that you all do to, and if not then that's ok also.

Sincerest Regards to everyone and take good care of yourselves,

Kindest Regards

:wave: :thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

Posted: 08 Apr 2018, 10:34 

Greetings Al,

Welcome to this forum,

I am also from the UK
Just read your introduction and of your enthusiasm of the LD Format.

It's the Format that just won't let go and rightly deserves the attention that it gets from us collectors here.

Yours like others written contributions here, is unique and well received.

Keep in touch here,

Kind Regards

:wave: :D

Post subject: Re: New here, Hi Everyone
Posted: 12 May 2018, 21:13 

Good evening Kid_Dynamo,

Just read your introductory message, and one can only say thank you for sharing a little about yourself, and of your enthusiasm towards the Laserdisc Format.

The warmest of welcome from us all here :wave:

We can all relate to your comments,

May you visit when you are able to, and feel free to share with us all of any updates and progress you make, as it would be great to read more from your good self.

No pressure of course,

Sincerest regards

Post subject: Re: Newbie from FL
Posted: 26 Mar 2019, 00:38 

Greetings Vaporkave,

Welcome to the land of Laserdisc's I hope you enjoy each visit.

We all come from various backgrounds with different Skills, and the few are Laserdisc Technicians, that are really appreciated by so many here.

Never underestimate your input here as I for one, although I am not a regular visitor as I once was, this site still remains one of my Favourite destinations of choice.

I have gained some good friends here, and one in particular has become like a Brother to me, although in a distant land.

Keep in touch and share your experiences with us all here.

Sincerest Regards

Posted: 26 Mar 2019, 00:44 

Good evening Julien,

Thank you for the update, and for all of your hard work with this site.

Please know that if it wasn't for this site, I would never had come in contact with the Great members here.

One member who I shall not mention here, has become a Dear Friend for the last 4 years.

I have always appreciated this Forum, and am very Grateful.

Kindest Regards

Posted: 28 Sep 2019, 10:01 

Good to know that Andy is ok,

I used to speak with this Gentleman on the phone occasionally, and at times for a couple of hours.

I could mention his personal matters here but am honourable and I gained his trust, however he's not so bad.

The guy had a bad heart Attack, and before this happened I used to advise him to eat more fresh food, and he listened.

He used to be a projectionist in movie theatre/s and was a perfectionist, of which I can appreciate.

He was very critical of getting the correct Picture and sound quality, and when releases of old movies on new formats i.e From Laserdisc to DVD to HD DVD and Blu-Ray were re-released he used to get quite upset and used to express his opinions to myself and on this forum.

No one knows what's going on inside with each of us here, and after all we are all trying our best to get through life as best we can.

I hope everyone here on the Forum are well and taking good care.

Kind Regards

:ugeek: :thumbup:

Post subject: Re: What are you reading?
Posted: 12 Oct 2019, 14:09 

Good day forum Friends Firehorse_44, Clackmedone, Signofzeta, Forper, Rein-o & Potter85412,

What are you reading.

To be honest when I read the above subject I thought you know what, I really need to return & read my Bible and Lord Of The Rings large hardback and, then read J.R. Tolkien's unfinished at the time at his passing Literary work, completed by his Son read below;

In April 2007, Christopher Tolkien published The Children of Húrin, whose story his father had brought to a relatively complete stage between 1951 and 1957 before abandoning it.

I placed a deposit at the time for the first Edition at release & purchased when it arrived £60..... It's a lovely hardback book in a slipcase......I need to read all of the above, so thank you all for inspiring this Man.

Take Good care of yourselves everyone, and thank you for being members here, it's always refreshing when visiting this site / forum and is a unique experience.

Kindest Regards

:wave: :thumbup: :wave:

Posted: 11 Nov 2019, 11:05 

Good day everyone,

I have just been reading some of the posts under this topic......I had the odd Giggle about the Gillette adds altruism and so forth

I paused before posting this reply, only because I wasn't sure if this was just for LD viewing or for any other disc or tape video format.

Due to my long working hours and shifts, my viewing of late has been sparse even slight not sadly though, as I feel that the older I get I am getting rather choosy about what I watch or willing to purchase.

My last Movie I watched at the Cinema from the most recent: TERMINATOR DARK FATE = Glad to have seen it, but due to the rather rushed and thin story line I shall not be purchasing this.

Before the above, a few months ago I went to see Spiderman Far From Home, now this I liked very much, and had his 4K Blu-Ray disk imported from the USA, this was a fine viewing experience, including the longer end credit surprise and how expansive the MC universe is going to grow.

On disc: JUPITER ASSENDING 4K / Monday 11th of Nov: 4K GHOST IN THE SHELL live action movie and then SUPER 8.

I sincerely hope that you are all well and please take good care of yourselves

Kindest Regards

Post subject: Re: My Introduction
Posted: 14 Dec 2019, 00:59 

Good evening from the UK Red45,

Welcome to the Forum here.

You are one of many who visit this site However there are many who are perusing but for some reason do not write.

Thank you for your unique contribution here and may you continue to share your comments and views here.

Kindest Regards

Posted: 18 Dec 2019, 06:34 

Good morning Mackgames100

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy each visit here.

Kind Regards

Post subject: Good morning to everyone
Posted: 01 Aug 2020, 02:35 

Good morning from the UK

I hope everyone is well and taking good care of themselves.

Things are not as they seem in this world, so stay focused, question all things with your powers of reasoning, and know that those in secret places are playing us all against each other, to keep us all distracted with divide and conquer tactics and narratives that are not healthy for humanity.

Sincerest Regards from a stranger but none the less a Friend.

may the spinning of your laserdisc's be a pleasure as always.

Posted: 15 Sep 2020, 20:54 

Dune (2020 film)
Legendary Pictures
Distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures
Release date
December 18, 2020
Dune is an upcoming American epic science fiction film directed by Denis Villeneuve with a screenplay by Jon Spaihts, Villeneuve, and Eric Roth. The film is an international co-production of Canada, Hungary, the United Kingdom and the United States, and it is the ''first of a planned two-part adaptation'' of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which will cover roughly the first half of the book, the first serial published in Analog magazine. The film stars an ensemble cast including Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem.

Dune is scheduled to be released in the United States in IMAX and 3D on December 18, 2020, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

I love the fact that this is going to be a two parter, and if done write the viewer who appreciates this material for what it truly is: Divine intervention.
The two parter should hopefully give enough time to build and to come to know each character as the story books truly intended, and I for one shall be watching this at the movie theatre and then purchase this on 4K Blu-Ray.

Sincerest Regards to all forum members.

:thumbup: :wave: :clap:

Posted: 16 Sep 2020, 01:17 

Greetings Vulpine

I live in the UK

I have the Meridian 519 AC-3 Demodulator connected to my HLD X9 and all is good, and the build quality is robust indeed.

Kind Regards

:thumbup:

Posted: 23 Nov 2020, 14:46 

Good day Davidb_sk,

Time in the UK is now 13:34 pm Monday 23rd of November.

Thank you for reaching out to all of us here, as it's always a pleasure to read from members here, as each unique experience is truly recognized.

After just reading your introduction and Shared Experiences, I for one can relate to how you feel about the LD Discs and Players 98%.

1% I also like the other disc formats however nothing can ever match the tangible quality and size of laserdisc.
1% I Can no longer return to VHS as a video medium however recording music on SVHS tape was preferred for me personally.

I need to spin a disc as it has been a while and for many reasons ''mostly to do with busy work schedule and various life trials''

David Please keep sharing with us here as we appreciate your time to write and convey.

Kindest Regards

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

Posted: 05 Apr 2021, 02:48 

Good morning Guys,

Time now in the UK is: 02:40 am

I hope you are all well and taking good care of yourselves.

Of late I have been watching an old UK TV Series called ''BLACK BOOKS'' Give it a watch sometime.

Last night / early hours into the morning I watched the New 4K Transfer extended edition of The Lord Of The Rings ''Return Of The King''

The Steel Tin Box Collectors set is a joy to own, and am now waiting to purchase ''The Hobbit trilogy''

These 4K Transfers are a noticeable improvement.

Kindest Regards to all

Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 33 matches ]