It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 23 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: AC-3 setup problem
Posted: 09 Aug 2017, 17:17 

I think it should auto detect if hooked up correctly, make sure you have the amp set on channel that corresponds with digital input the apd-1 is connected to.

You should not be selecting any analog channels on the player, that will play the analog mono track, not ac-3

As said make sure you're converter is working.

here's some info:
http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/YamahaAPD-1.htm

Posted: 13 Sep 2017, 13:44 

I know the 16:9s sony are highly regarded, I've never had a chance to use or see one. I'm just sort of partial to 4:3, it's just what I'm used to. some things don't work so well with it, but LD certainly does.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to pick up one of those sets some day, I did inquire about a free 16:9 wega a few months back just for kicks but someone had beat me to it.

At the moment though it would not be practical because of space limitations. I just finished an av rack unit incorporating my 20" wega, and I have two 24" sets in the basement, though one I may have to part with since I think its tube may be failing.

To the OP though I would say what there to lose if the price is fight (free or close)
like Zeta said they won't be making these again

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 01:18 

Well if its any assurance, when we had the mix up with the DVL players I thought that you did a more then adequate packaging, I can vouch for your packing abilites.

Hope things work out..

Posted: 27 Oct 2017, 09:47 

This problem sounds to me like the centering of the side B plate is out of adjustment, it happens a lot with the dvl players, there is a little black screw at the end of the laser track towards the front of the player, next to the screw is a white plastic cam you adjust when the screw is loosened, be careful as its a minute adjustment. I remember some threads on this problem, try searching "side b centering" or similar.

Posted: 04 Nov 2017, 18:24 

I agree to a point, Late JP releases etc, but Criterion editions?

I find Criterions all the time, a few I've found for a dollar or less.

Posted: 13 Nov 2017, 07:20 

The 704 is really your best bet, unfortunately they don't seem super common now and people are asking higher prices for them.

As said 604/6 is a step below, they do have a toslink pcm and ac-3 out.

The 504 is ok, but has no digital out, only ac-3.

The CLD-406 is a 606 but without digital memory I believe.

Another option are the DVL players, namely the DVL-700 being the lowest in price usually, might be worth looking at although they are a bit more complicated then the CLDs.

Posted: 30 Nov 2017, 18:04 

rein-o wrote:
R7G has a different ring on the spindle and won't slip.
Made out of a white material rather than the black ring.

Ah, wasnt sure on that, I know the earlier dvl styles had the 704 type ring, so they changed it on the R7G.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 10 Jan 2018, 02:17 

Since my DVL-90 is slipping badly and my attempts to clean it have failed, I'm going to go ahead and start trying out alternatives, today I picked some plasti dip at the auto parts store along with some steel tubing to use to make a punch for sheet material.

The one option is try the idea Publius has and paint on a ring of plasti dip, I'll try some samples with a brush first and see how it looks. they do have a spray can but I think its a wide spray like paint and I'm afraid it will go all over the place.

Other option is cutting a ring out of an anti slip material, I ordered a strip of the 3m anti slip tape which I can hopefully cut out with the tubing I got. The tape I got is 23 mil which is about twice the thickness of the oem ring, though its still .023 of an inch.

Depending on time and how things go I might end up testing both methods on the player, first thing will be testing the plasti dip since I'm not familiar with it. Then hopefully over the next week I can make up the punch tool, I ordered the tape last night so it will be a few days before I get it.

Of course any progress I'll post here.

As for the M-holder, I'd be really interested if it would be possible to plaster mold one for aluminum casting, I don't having any casting experience but I'd love to try, or at least pass it off to someone who can.

Posted: 11 Jan 2018, 06:25 

Ok so I painted on the plasti-dip, I made a few different attempts to get it how I liked, which was trying to get an even coat but also with some texture to it, ended up with putting a single coat smooth, then going back and lightly "sponging" with the brush while it was tacky.

After a few hours of drying it actually leveled out quite a bit, maybe not perfect but the wasn't what I was going for. not sure how it would compare to spray but brushed on it seemed to come out fine.

Fired up the player and....it works! So far just brief testing, but I did a few side changes and stops and it did really well, Once though it did slip on a spin up an fail to play, but that particular disc was giving me trouble before and I think the label is dirty.

Otherwise very smooth, quick side change and stops dead right away, the question is if it will hold up in the long term. I'm impressed so far, wasn't so sure of a first attempt but...so far so good...

Posted: 19 Jan 2018, 18:56 

I can report after playing discs the past week there have been no issues, I've watched a handful of films including a CAV 3 disc set, all played perfectly, also tried to note the labels before and after playing, some already had marks on them (probably from another bad ring) discs with with clean labels seemed to be undamaged after playing, no marking from what I could tell.

I did get a sheet of slip tape, but like Kurtis described it is hard vinyl like and has a grit surface, probably not another solution for this.

Posted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:43 

I may be missing something in the past posts.
Did you end up brushing the plasti dip on or spray?
Or did you get the flat layer and punch rings out?

I put on Plasti-Dip with a brush, I was going to make a punch and then make rings out of some grip tape, but I found some Plasti-Dip at a local store and decided to try it first. Since it worked on the first try I'll probably stick with that, the grip tape sample I got doesn't seem like it would work so well.

I might put plasti-dip on a second player at some point so perhaps I can make a tutorial and/or video for those who are interested, it's pretty easy to do.

Posted: 29 Jan 2018, 14:49 

That is good to hear about the S9/X9 ring, the cost though I always found to be a setback, even with the VEB1237. When looking at what you get it seems way overpriced, but maybe the materials or production is more costly I don't know. That being said I will leave that part alone for the owners of the actual player.

The can of Plasti dip I bought for the price of one ring I'm sure has enough to paint about every player out there, the only problem is the can does not seal well and will probably start to dry up fast, this would be the advantage of getting the spray can.

There is also a product called "liquid tape" that comes in a small can with brush applicator, supposedly its the same stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-Liquid-Electrical-Tape-Easy-on-Waterproof-Indoor-Ou/112678502485?hash=item1a3c298055:g:MD4AAOSwtVxaKany

It should keep better then the plasti dip can, also a little cheaper.

Post subject: Re: Noise on a CLD-S315
Posted: 05 Mar 2018, 13:42 

In my opinion what that looks like is the signal from the laser is getting weak.

The signal from LD is transmitted through analog RF so its not too surprising that you find it looks like a poor analog tv signal.

When the player is idle with the OSD being displayed there is no signal from the laser, hence why it looks clear on the screen, also that is a sign that your connection to the tv is probably good.

I'm not surprised it looked worse on an LCD since those usually upscale the picture and show more defects.

An attempted fix you could try opening up the player and first visually inspect the laser lens, if it looks very dirty you could try to clean it, but I've never had luck doing this, generally just playing a disc keeps the lens pretty clean.

Next the would be to locate the RF level pot and try to turn it up and see if that changes anything.

Posted: 07 Apr 2018, 00:30 

By going the ebay route you are just setting yourself up for more trouble, better to comb craigslist for a few months and local flea markets etc.

I did get lucky with a player on ebay for sale locally, I was able to pick it up in person since the seller was 15 minutes from where I live.

Posted: 30 Apr 2018, 18:05 

Welcome! glad to hear you've been enjoying those big shiny discs!

Posted: 19 May 2018, 20:01 

That remote should work for you, it's for the slightly older 503 model, most of the pioneer LD remote codes are the same with a few exceptions.

As for the audio that remote has the audio channel button and the separate d/a switch button, I think that's the same setup as the 504, it should work fine for your player.

Posted: 28 Jun 2018, 02:51 

Currently I would say the amount of music titles in my collection is pretty lacking, however when combing through a record store in Bend OR a couple of years ago I happened to stumble upon a copy of Marillion: Grendel/The Web (1984) [JM038-0032]

Never heard of the group before but felt compelled to grab it, it's a pretty nice little 8" LD (still the only one I have) there is a live performance on each side.
Pretty interesting UK progressive type band.

Posted: 01 Jul 2018, 17:40 

Are you getting no sound at all? Or just none in your surround speakers? The optical sends out PCM audio, the surround tracks need to be decoded by Pro Logic or similar in your receiver, otherwise it comes out in stereo, I'm sure your Sony can do this, you might need to adjust settings and/or inputs.

Posted: 02 Jul 2018, 08:56 

Even though the laserdisc surround is not as dynamic as dolby digital it should still be apparent in the surround speakers, it is also worth noting that some surround tracks are more "aggressive" then others, I've had a few where it sounded almost more like an ac-3, one example is from dusk till dawn (not the ac-3 version).

Post subject: Re: Best quality Laserdiscs
Posted: 19 Jul 2018, 12:32 

I sort of got under the impression that because it's called "blu-ray" everything has to be more "blu".

Posted: 07 Sep 2018, 15:43 

I have a feeling he wanted to say a lot more but was holding himself back...
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 23 matches ]