It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 04:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 02 Apr 2013, 14:46 

The part VNL-1779 costs $4.25 from Pioneer. I have a post about this talking about the shipping charge ($14.46) which I think is too much. Oh well, it is too bad I am reading your post now. I ordered the VNL-1779 part from Pioneer on 3/30. If I had known that you needed the same part, I could have added it to the shipment with no increase in shipping charge and sent it to you by USPS. It will cost you $4.25 for the part plus $14.46 shipping plus $2.95 for shipping and handling plus any sales tax to order the part from Pioneer. With New York sales tax, the part cost me $23.58.

I have the same problem that you are having except it is with a CLD-D406 player. The player will play side 1 okay. The pickup will then go to side 2 and play it okay. The problem comes when the pickup tries to get back to its side1 position. The pickup stalls on moving along the track in many places and will not get to its side 1 position without outside help. I have a spare CLD-D406 player that seems to have good gearing in the optical pickup except that the pickup cannot detect an LD or CD when there is one on the tray. I think that the disc sensor is part of the optical pickup and the pickup assembly is listed at ~$135 which is much more money then I spent on both players. So repair of my parts player will have to wait for a long time.

The 2 CLD-D406 players I have I won off E-bay. Both have and have had the same problem with the gearing being broken on the optical pickup. I do not know if both had the gearing broken during shipment or were originally broken before shipment. I did not return either of them as the shipping charges to return each them was about equal to what each cost. For example, it would have cost about $20 to ship one back and then I would have been refunded about $20 from the seller. I say this about shipping of the 2 players because I have 2 Sony LD players that I won off E-bay. Both were shipped to me and both have had no problems. No breakage of gearing or any internal parts and both worked out of the shipping box the day I received both. Do you suppose that the design of the pickup assembly is "more rugged" on the Sony's than the Pioneer's and is capable of surviving shipment better (granted the player's packing is big variable here)? I know that this sounds heretical to Pioneer fans; but, it is just an observation of mine.

Posted: 11 Oct 2017, 14:45 

I just won the following from an E-bay seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-AVC08U-AUDIO-VIDEO-CENTER/232414269174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 .

This box can accept 2 composite and 2 component inputs (both video and audio) and convert the video from 480 to 1080. The audio is digitized and output through a toslink jack. The box will also accept 3 HDMI sources. You can then select from 7 inputs to output to the one HDMI jack. See the item description for more details.

In some situations, this "box" maybe helpful. I am going to use the box for my CED players. Their video is not that great; but, the HDMI is version 1.3 so it should not matter.

Posted: 28 Oct 2017, 20:42 

The following applies to the majority of Sony AVR's. Check your owner's manual if you have a non-Sony AVR.

On my AVR (Sony DA3300ES), there are a number of inputs on the back. For the DVD input, there are usually 2 analog audio jacks, a composite video jack and a Toslink/coaxial input for digital audio. When there are signals on the DVD inputs, the AVR will take the digital audio over the analog audio for sound. If there is no digital audio, the AVR will switch to the analog audio. For the Sony, this is its normal operation.

Sony SDP-E800:

The E800 has an analog input on the back and you switch to it using the button on the front. Say you have an LD connected to the digital 1 input. This will give you digital sound when you press the digital 1 button on the front. If you want to play an LD without digital sound, you are out of luck with this setup. To get around this, connect the composite video and analog audio outputs of the LD player to the analog analog and video jacks on the back of the E800. Now, connect the front L and R outputs on the back of the E800 to the analog inputs that you are using for the E800 on the back of your AVR. Now when you want to play a non-digital sound LD, you press the analog button on the front of the E800.

You may ask how is the above possible. I found out that when you press the E800's analog button, the red carrier light in the digital out of the E800 is turned off. The lack of the carrier causes a Sony AVR to switch to the analog audio.

As of this writing, I have not tested the above thoroughly yet. Maybe someone else could verify the above.

Posted: 03 Nov 2017, 00:19 

Here is the service manual for the MDP-650:

http://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Sony/MDP/

There are 2 of them so select whichever. I have not inspected the two to see if there is any difference. I will leave that up to you.

(I have downloaded the SM for my MDP-600 just to have it. You never know when an "off-brand" player could die.)

Post subject: Re: Repair Options?
Posted: 09 Mar 2018, 15:24 

Hello,

I'm just wondering is there anyone in the United States; preferably east of the Mississippi, and even more preferably, New York that works on vintage electronics anymore such as CED? I have a 400 series player that has a busted rod transfer gear and while I do have a replacement gear coming, I do not have the tools or space to affect a successful repair. Thoughts? Options?

Thanks,
Daniel

Several things:

1) Do you know about CEDmagic.com? Go there and request a membership and post your problem. There are a number of hobbyists that repair CED players and any number of them can help you.

2) Are you talking about the transfer rod coupling? I have changed the coupling on an SJT-200 and found it to be a bear of a job.

3) Go here: http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38 for a service manual for your SJT-400.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]