It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 4 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 03 Oct 2018, 04:51 

I think it is perfeclty natural to think about "return of laserdisc" when you discover this media, and start to love it.
I also had the same natural thought when I start laserdisc 3 years ago (I did a post about that, and as here, everyone said it was impossible, and I thought they just lacked of enthousiam).

But now, I perfectly understand and accept that it will not be possible.
I talked a lot with pioneer engeneer here in Japan, and only few people (+50 years old) in Pioneer, can perfectly understand now how LD works.
Pioneer also did a fusion with onkyo, and changed their catagory like that : Their target is now people who don't want to spend more than 100$ for a player.

Most of engeneer now, are not working on creating technology from scratch.
They are thinking about using technology that already exists (100% digital), and combine them together smartly, to sell them well.

After watching some video on you tube about the LD production process, you will also understand why it would be difficult.
You need BIG, very BIG factory to press and realease movies. Then lot of customers.

LD has been possible, because in Japan, between 1980 and 1990, people and factory had too much money.
One movie costed between 5000 yens and 20.000 yens. The price of a player today.
The way of thinking were also completly different.
Big, expensive things had good image in the society.

The real problem is not really the technology. because any engeneer can learn in few month about any technology.
The problem is neither about "quality of the image". Because today, 90% of people watch movies on 10cm screens.
Most of people I know don't mind about difference between a 4K video and 240p video on you tube. But they want it fast.
Today, the keywords are "fast", "small", "eco", "fun", "convenient".
If you can prove to the entire society, that LD are all of that, then you have a chance of return.

Posted: 03 Oct 2018, 05:41 

Why so snide and sarcastic?? You know I got into the LaserDisc thing very recently. I just found this board and was excited to find other people who are as enthused about it as I am. If this is the kind of attitude going to be thrown at somebody who's just getting started perhaps this isn't the place for me. Sorry if I offended anyone.

You didn't offend anyone. :)

Maybe some of us are just old farts and get irritated at times because many of us have been w/ the format from day one and we hear a lot of the same questions over and over again (my goodness, how many times have I wrote about stretched loading belts now :crazy: ).

Anyway, my simple advice as a newbie; don't buy "pan & scan" titles and collect titles that are of the later releases (picture quality is usually better and many titles have Dolby AC3 or DTS encoding). Also, I personally love getting rare box sets of a movie or TV show if the packaging is well executed.

Posted: 08 Aug 2022, 04:09 

Admins, you can scrap this thread if you think it is lame, a SPAM plug, or such (or if it has been discussed before)! In 1992, I was trying to start a rap organization called W.E. C.R.A.Z.Y. (Wildly Endorsing College Rap And Zealous Yearnings) at what was USL in Lafayette, Louisiana, at the time (which is now UL). I knew of a recording studio called Lil' Jabos (or close to that), that referred me to "Disc Makers" (discmakers.com), who then sent me a catalog. They mass produce CDs and such for 3rd party/independent artists! Anyway, one of their ads came up in FB today, so I buzzed them with the idea! I am quite impressed with the laserdisc community, and how it has survived over the years! I just think it would ROCK if the enthusiasts got together and made some sort of partial revitalization! Maybe it is just a dumb idea, but I'm bipolar, and get a lot of off the hip ideas, that I think could actually be worth the trouble, but they usually just sound good in my head, and aren't worth the hoo-rah!

While I am on the general subject, does anyone here know of any 3rd party entities that build laserdisc machines from scratch?

Posted: 09 Aug 2022, 13:38 

Probably the best we can hope for in the near future for a whole new player is a DIY setup that uses a laser scanner (maybe something like this: https://www.gaudi.ch/GaudiLabs/?page_id=652 ) to scan a whole side at once, then decodes/outputs it with something like the Domesday86 software on a Raspberry Pi or FPGA or something. Maybe in a big 3D printed enclosure made to look like a LD player.

Maybe technology similar to the IRENE project could read LDs someday. https://irene.lbl.gov/
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 4 matches ]