It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 21 Mar 2022, 06:18 

Great I just spent over $700.00 on a Pioneer Elite player that is as useless as the current LD Player I already have. I
kept reading the manual. They are a little vague, but you are right.
What a waste. A demodulator alone costs a fortune. so odd there is no other way to get DD audio from a LD player.

You can still get a decent lower cost AC3-RF Demodulator but you have to think out of the box.

I use older processors to extract the AC3 track from my LD. Shop around for the following models on eBay…

Sony, SDP-E800
Sony, SDP-EP9ES
Denon, AVD-2000

They are getting harder to find now but when they become available you might get a good deal on one (I think I paid about $70 for the last one I got).

And when you do get one, you should connect your player’s AC3-RF Out and Digital Out to this processor and then connect the optical digital out of the processor to your AVR (don’t use the six channel outputs). By doing this, it will conveniently allow you to switch between Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM.

Posted: 21 Mar 2022, 23:49 

Luckily I was able to cancel the order for the Elite DVL-91. While it would have been nice to try out a few dts Laserdiscs, I still like my Pioneer CLD-D505 and was kind of not wanting to deal with a dual DVD / LD player since I only wanted it for LDs. Also kept reading complaints on how noisy some think the 91 can be.

Yeah…. I didn’t want to say it but $700 is a bit steep for a DVL. I would only spend that much if it was something like an LD-S2 and honestly speaking I still wouldn’t be desperate enough to fork over that much cash for it. If you want a good decent player with all the bells and whistles, I would still recommend a CLD-D704. You can still get these for a fairly good price.

Good thing is I did manage to buy a Denon AVD-2000 for about $150.00 to hook up to my current player. My previous demodulator was a brand new Sony model I got roughly 20 years ago and was well taken care of but, I turned it on one time and it never worked since then.

You won’t regret it. It is a great unit and even features auto switching between the AC3-RF input and Optical Digital 1 (unfortunately you won’t be able to take advantage of it since the 505 doesn’t have any digital output). Do you still have your Sony RF Demodulator? If so, might be easy to fix if it’s just no power (could be a fuse; maybe an IC Protector).

Post subject: Re: Denon AVD-2000
Posted: 23 Mar 2022, 20:40 

I was kind of shocked that it instantly gave my AVR DD 5.1 output without actually changing LD audio to the Analog Right Channel option

Not sure what you mean by Analog Right Channel option? Just remember, AC3 encoding on LD is simply about how it is stored on the right analog channel on an AC3 disc but that has nothing to do with functionality of the hardware. So long as your player has an AC3-RF output, you have that plugged into the AC3-RF input on the Denon processor, and then connect the Denon’s optical out to your AVR; the processor does the job of changing the RF signal to bitstream for the AVR. It’s as simple as that. It works just like a standard AC3-RF Demodulator but just has more inputs and surround processing that you won’t be utilizing.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]