It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 163 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 21 Jul 2023, 08:41 

Welcome to the membership !

Posted: 29 Jul 2023, 01:58 

Just picked up Lost in Space vol 3 box from a dealer in Japan.
The last box missing in my collection of that series of boxes.

Can hardly wait to start viewing.
Have not viewed a lost in space episode since I was a kid.

Cheers to all the peeps here !

Addendum !
MY BOX VOLUME THREE LOST IN SPACE IS MISSING DISC THREE PLATTER.
IF ANY MEMBERS HAVE A SPARE DISC 3 FROM VOLUME THREE BOX PLEASE ADVISE ! ! !
THANKS IN ADVANCE !

Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 00:53 

I watched Gamera, Guardian of the Universe (1995) [DLZ-0185] . This is a very high quality LD. The movie itself isn’t as good as the best Godzilla movie but it’s a lot better than the worse ones. While it is a lot more serious than the OG series the fights still get goofy and Gameras spinning flying trick looks totally badass in this version.

Gamera has always had a special place in my heart.
Based on Zetas assessment I am going to give this contemporary version a spin soon down the road.
Thanks for the interpretation man.

Cheers to the membership.....

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 05:38 

Right on ...
Also felt Ralph Bakshi's FIRE & ICE was passed over like many of his iconic creations. The artwork was staggering.
Roto scope genre was leveled up due to Bakshi and his teams. LOTR is one of my favorite creations of his.
Sometimes that way with art that is ahead of its time. Takes awhile to take root with people if at all with the exception of just the devoted.....

Agreed with Clan of the Cave Bear. A buddy is a big fan of the novels and not into film however I felt like a great attempt at bringing the epoch to 2D life lol.

Gotta watch CONAN and DESTROYER again, been a few years.....

Cheers mate

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 19:58 

Agreed about destroyer....
100%, however, my imagination allows me to overlook some level of crappy acting to stay in the fantasy setting.
Part of my background as a Dungeon Master has augmented this skill thanks to ancient past AD&D hobby.

I loved Robert E Howard and his Conan mythos.

If anyone is interested and a reader, Karl Edward Wagner wrote a series about an Antihero called KANE.
Some of the saltiest and bada** writing I have ever imbibed.
Check out "Darkness Weaves", "Bloodstone", "Death Angel's Shadow", "Dark Crusade", and "Nightwinds".

HUNDRA, Thanks Zeta, never even heard of that heroine.
Liked Red Sonya, however even with my imagination in full gear, just found it hard to love Briggett Nelson's acting. Still entertaining though story wise.

First Conan really struck that fantasy gaming chord. I believe it was during this period of High School gaming Conan dropped. Loved his girlfriend the thief. Bad to the bone slayer.
Punching the camel got Arnold alot of heat back then.

Great fun thread.

Thanks you guys...

Post subject: Re: Surfing stuff on LD...
Posted: 09 Aug 2023, 02:33 

When I read posts from this thread I hear DICK DALE playing in my head doing riffs !
Hats off to the king of surf music !

Cheers to the membership !

Posted: 10 Aug 2023, 11:06 

No economic degree here, however I see this as a bad move.
They are tanking and now they are making desperate moves imo.
Could be wrong.
Seems selling some physical media would bring in quan ?
I am biased though.
Time will tell if smart move or not.
Market for reselling their media may become a under current of sorts.
Not my bag though....
Disney has gambled big time with current trends and alienated a part of their business market shares.

Cheers mates....

Posted: 15 Aug 2023, 21:57 

Torrent it is then. I will never pay for digital / one off or subscription based.

Agree, also not paying for that mode of content.

My girlfriend has a list of streaming providers and they leave alot to be desired.
Impressed at times by the obscure titles, however inconsistent is given new meaning the way things are dropped or not even available.
And paying monthly is so hard to love.
I am with therussian on this one.

At first my Lady thought not so much of LD, She watched her first few titles and now we are making it a routine when streaming a movie comes up ! We trade off taking turns on viewing stuff.
She turned me on to Schitts Creek ha !

Added another LD fan to the world ! To quote " for me it is just a new viewing experience....."

And added bonus -
Her High Definition LG TV makes LD new to even me !

Let's face it people, there is NOTHING LIKE PHYSICAL MEDIA WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS THAT COME WITH.

Destined to go the way of the dinosaurs ? Perhaps, however not without holdouts like me spinning up movies and games till the last !

Cheers to the peeps....

Posted: 01 Sep 2023, 02:39 

Revisited Luc Besson classic "Le Grande Bleu, version longue" [PILF-2379].
My girlfriend had never seen this and one of my fav movies so we spun this up last week.
Love Rosana Arquette and Jean Reno in this one.

If your into a good story and epic diving cinema Luc Besson style then check this movie out.
One cannot predict the ending on this one !

Cheers to the membership......

Posted: 16 Dec 2023, 23:16 

Liked your story re; DEmO MaN !
Too Cool to follow through and find out about laserdisc because of a movie reference !

Well your 100% accurate useless and expensive hobby ... fun though and incredibly exciting to treasure hunt into antiquity !

Big LDDB welcome ...

Cheers to the membership ....

P.S.

FYI - first post from a home PC in two years being untimely unhomed and then surviving the mortgage process to build a new home at the worst possible time in modern history ! Climbed the mountain, found enlightenment, and now chop wood and carry water...
FLYING TERRAPIN WILL BE OPEN 2024 later in the year if all goes as planned ......

Posted: 25 Dec 2023, 07:41 

Have a Cool Yule everyone....

Merry Christmas 2023 !
Cheers

Posted: 04 Jan 2024, 04:44 

Jolly good for you ! Hope you enjoy the process.

Only two years in storage and I am experiencing a similar revival.
Similar however very different from 14 years.

Must type, even with only two years in boxes, the unpacking is a thrill all over the place......

Cheers to all, happy new year....

Posted: 08 Feb 2024, 23:59 

Found a pristine copy of Sleepy Hollow recently.
Dealer packaged more then adequately by posting LD Platter outside of jacket to protect fragile seams from jarring and dropping while in transit.

Being a big Tim Burton fan, this will be a nice gem for the grotto.
Christopher Walkin, Casper Van Dien, Christina Ricci, and the one and only Johnny Depp.
The headless horsemen yarn with a Tim twist !

Cheers to the membership !
Page 7 of 7 [ Search found 163 matches ]