It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:22

Page 1 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bad sellers - who are they and what have they done wrong?
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 12:27 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

It's about time we cut to the chase to name and shame the worst sellers out there as far as laserdiscs are concerned.

I'm not talking about a seller who has made an honest mistake or a newbie who didn't know how to pack properly and has seen the error of their ways.

No I am talking about serially bad sellers who consistently do one or more of the following:
forget to ship items you actually paid for
overcharge on shipping
don't pack items properly and blame the postal service
list items with totally inaccurate gradings so as to deceive the buyer
sell you rotted laserdiscs that supposedly played fine and then don't reply to your emails or claim they played perfectly
send you a different item to what you bought
revise their pricings in the upward direction after you have made an offer which they have declined

Any of those sound familiar?.....they should because I have been on the receiving end of all of those from sellers at one stage or another.

You should include:
Who the seller is (either from LDDB.com, Ebay ID or their own site etc)?
What atrocity they commited?
What was the outcome?

Sellers should feel free to reply because I don't doubt this thread could put a few of them out of business or at least severely damage their business unless they can explain their actions. If so then it will be mission accomplished as far as I am concerned as I want to get rid of these dodgy sellers once and for all.

Post subject: Re: Bad sellers - who are they and what have they done wrong
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 19:50 
ebay id traderhorn 3354 from Texas. Sold me a new It Happened one Night i asked him to open it & check it & found out after he said it was perfect that the end of side 1 & all of side 2 was full of laser rot. I made a mistake & left feedback before i played it. Did tell him about it but no further responce so i will not purchase anymore from this seller.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 20:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Sorry if I've posted to the wrong section although I cannot help but think it is going to be a popular thread!

As these bad sellers get listed feel free to send them a link to this site so they know they are being punished for their crimes.
Also gives them the opportunity to respond although most will likely decline the invitation!!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 22 Apr 2012, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 21:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I bought some Muppet LDs from an eBay seller who put a Post It note directly on the play surface of the disc saying that were superficial scratches on the disc and to let him know of there were any playback issues. I'm a pretty well adjusted guy, but sooner or later that's going to get him some negative feedback from somebody.

The irony: there were no scratches on the disk, just various amounts of schumtz and filth. I cleaned it all off just fine, and playback is perfect.

The eBay seller ID was canadabuddy.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 19:15 
This one seller who i cant remember because he is not a regular laserdisc dealer sold me Phantom Menace without inner sleeves & it had watercolor paint all over it. After i cleaned the discs up & found sleeves the discs did play perfect.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 20:10 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

It is very rare to encounter a bad Japanese seller but they do exist.

EbayID:tokyorockadom aka TATSUMI WAKITA

During 2006 I bought many music LDs from this seller and everything was great.

Then in late 2006/early 2007 problems started to develop.
Parcels didn't arrive or arrived with totally rotted LDs - these were expensive discs costing hundreds of dollars per disc and totally worthless.
I contacted the seller and got absolutely no reply.

Eventually after numerous email attempts I logged a paypal dispute.
The seller then replied apologising that there was a family member had been sick and this had caused delays responding.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and he agreed to allow me to ship back the rotted LDs and I would get a refund as long as I cancelled the dispute.
I cancelled the dispute and sent the items back never to hear from him again. I lost all my money as the dispute had been closed.

Just checkout the trail of destruction he left on Ebay through all the negative feedbacks he received from other buyers he had done the same thing to shortly after I got burned:

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... MEFSX:FDBK

Eventually Ebay shut this clown down but by that stage it was too late - the damage was done.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 21:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i hope that will teach you not to close the case with paypal until you get your refund.

you could have got your money back but trused a person who never responded until you opened a case.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 21:45 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
It is very rare to encounter a bad Japanese seller but they do exist.

EbayID:tokyorockadom aka TATSUMI WAKITA

During 2006 I bought many music LDs from this seller and everything was great.

Then in late 2006/early 2007 problems started to develop.
Parcels didn't arrive or arrived with totally rotted LDs - these were expensive discs costing hundreds of dollars per disc and totally worthless.
I contacted the seller and got absolutely no reply.

Eventually after numerous email attempts I logged a paypal dispute.
The seller then replied apologising that there was a family member had been sick and this had caused delays responding.
I gave them the benefit of the doubt and he agreed to allow me to ship back the rotted LDs and I would get a refund as long as I cancelled the dispute.
I cancelled the dispute and sent the items back never to hear from him again. I lost all my money as the dispute had been closed.

Just checkout the trail of destruction he left on Ebay through all the negative feedbacks he received from other buyers he had done the same thing to shortly after I got burned:

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI ... MEFSX:FDBK

Eventually Ebay shut this clown down but by that stage it was too late - the damage was done.

I had exactly the same type of experience with this seller several years ago. I sent a badly rotted disc back to him, and then never heard from him again. Fortunately, I got most of my money back from eBay. One day on my day off from work, I got a call from an eBay representative. He was doing a survey, and wanted to know how my experience had been. I told him that I was a laserdisc collector, and had joined the site specifically for the reason of building my collection with titles I couldn't find anywhere else. He was surprised to hear that, and told me he had a relative (his father or an uncle, I can't remember) who had collected laserdiscs years ago. I told him that overall my experience with buying on eBay had been very good, and I had gotten a lot of rare discs I was looking for there. However, I told him that I had really only had one very bad experience, with this seller, tokyorockadom. I recounted the whole story for him, and at the end of the conversation, he apologized to me about the experience, and gave me a gift certificate/credit for the price of the disc toward a future purchase! So, I only ended up being out the amount I paid to ship the rotted disc back to that crook! All's well that ends well! :thumbup:

David

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 22:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rein-o wrote:
i hope that will teach you not to close the case with paypal until you get your refund.

you could have got your money back but trused a person who never responded until you opened a case.

Yes I learned a valuable lesson from that one however paypal can only work in certain circumstances.

Take for example the case where you buy an inexpensive laserdisc that is defective.
If you are forced to open a paypal dispute you will be required to ship the item back via a tracking delivery service.
This can cost more than the disc + original shipping if you used a basic airmail service for original delivery.
Since you can only claim back the cost of disc + original shipping it may not be cost effective to ship back if you reside abroad and need to ship an inexpensive LD back to US or Japan with a tracking service etc.

For the same inexpensive LD you may opt to try to communicate with the seller directly to keep things more amicable.
Most sellers prefer this and would let you ship it back via a less expensive service.
If the seller then claims they didn't receive it you haven't a leg to stand on and could end up with no disc, no refund and the cost of shipping it back!
Again this happened to me a number of times.

It only really works on more expensive purchases. I was new to collecting at that stage and had received so many wonderful items from both this seller and all other Japanese sellers on Ebay initially that I didn't believe things could turn sour so quickly but they did.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 26 Apr 2012, 21:05, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 22:15 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

laserking wrote:
I had exactly the same type of experience with this seller several years ago.
David

For folks like yourself who have been collecting much longer than me I suspect the likelihood of encountering this seller was much higher. He was genuinely very good to deal with at the start and also very friendly which was why it was such a shock that things turned out the way they did.

I also understand the new owners tried to put right what he had done wrong and some buyers eventually got their money back. I just wasn't one of lucky ones though.

Ebay did however come to my rescue via several different incentives.
Firstly I was indirectly asked by them to do some beta testing on Ebay website changes over several evenings.
Since I work in the software industry by trade it was an easy job and I found lots of bugs.
When I reported the bugs I was paid for my time and it was actually very well paid for how easy it was to find the bugs!

Secondly like yourself I was contacted by Ebay over the last few years on quite a few occasions when disputes had been logged.
I always found them to be most helpful and also got some Ebay vouchers occasionally so overall I didn't really lose anything.
I just learned from the whole experience and I have a lot of respect for Ebay.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 01:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i had an issue with a seller for an item, not an LD.
it was 10 bucks, charged 6 bucks shipping, it was not working, he wanted me to send it back.
i said that would be stupid of me, but he offered to pay shipping both ways and refund the 10 bucks.

so luckly i was out nothing with this item.
but i totally understand, if it's a cheper item and shipping is more and they want it sent back
it's not worth it and you just have to live and learn.

as for the paypal issue, keep it open no matter what, until it's finished.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 21:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

New candidate for bad seller:

Ebay ID: peddlerstrading

This seller shipped me a laserdisc in a jiffy bag - absolutely no cardboard or any other protection used at all.
Not surprisingly it arrived cracked and sleeve completely destroyed - creased/bent on all four corners.

When I contacted the seller I got no reply.
A second email to the seller was also greeted with no reply.
When I logged a paypal dispute they eventually replied after a further 3 days!

Prior to the item being shipped I had specifically advised the seller to package the item carefully.
I had paid $20 for shipping and they had just slipped the laserdisc into a jiffy bag which is the cheapest possible packaging you could use and then kept the profit.
I could clearly see the actual cost on the parcel was a fraction of what they had charged me.

This was their reply:

What exactly is the issue with this item? We have shipped many without incident in the padded mailers.
This wasn't a Jiffy bag, these are padded mailers. You do not determine how sellers ship their merchandise.
You paid that much S&H because you are overseas. Obviously the postal carries mishandled the item. These ship all the time and are received without incident.

I will let everyone else draw their own conclusions about this seller but as far I am concerned they have earned their spot as a 'bad seller'.
This seller showed absolutely no remorse whatsoever. It was everyone else's fault except them and they actually still thought their packaging was perfectly fine which is the most alarming part.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 02 May 2012, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 21:43 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

laserdisc_fan wrote:
New candidate for bad seller:

Ebay ID: peddlerstrading

This seller shipped me a laserdisc in a jiffy bag - absolutely no cardboard or any other protection used at all.
Not surprisingly it arrived cracked and sleeve completely destroyed - creased/bent on all four corners.

When I contacted the seller I got no reply.
A second email to the seller was also greeted with no reply.
When a logged a paypal dispute they eventually replied after a further 3 days!

Prior to the item being shipped I had specifically advised the seller to package the item carefully.
I had paid $20 for shipping and they had just slipped the laserdisc into a jiffy bag which is the cheapest possible packaging you could use and then kept the profit.
I could clearly see the actual cost on the parcel was a fraction of what they had charged me.

This was their reply:

What exactly is the issue with this item? We have shipped many without incident in the padded mailers.
This wasn't a Jiffy bag, these are padded mailers. You do not determine how sellers ship their merchandise.
You paid that much S&H because you are overseas. Obviously the postal carries mishandled the item. These ship all the time and are received without incident.

I will let everyone else draw their own conclusions about this seller but as far I am concerned they have earned their spot as a 'bad seller'.
This seller showed absolutely no remorse whatsoever. It was everyone else's fault except them and they actually still thought their packaging was perfectly fine which is the most alarming part.

I looked at this person auctions on Ebay and saw that he lives in my city...wonder who he/she is and where they are located at.

Mark

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 01:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Whenever you buy LDs from someone who doesn't collect LDs you are, unfortunately asking for trouble.

LD collectors who lived through the LD era and payed $30-100 per disk have extremely high standards. We know that LDs are not Playstation games and that if you put even the tiniest smudge of anything on the disc it will usually be visable. We know how to take care of the jackets, especially the non-Japanese ones that tend to be more fragile than an Egyption mummy.

My biggest problem these days is with sellers on LDDB who will give you a hilariously detailed description of every single minute defect on the cover but won't bother to play test the thing. If I'm buying a copy of Contact or The Fifth Element the FIRST question is whether or not the thing has rot. I guess they think (and are maybe correct) that LD collectors never actually watch what they collect.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 03:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Whenever you buy LDs from someone who doesn't collect LDs you are, unfortunately asking for trouble.

LD collectors who lived through the LD era and payed $30-100 per disk have extremely high standards. We know that LDs are not Playstation games and that if you put even the tiniest smudge of anything on the disc it will usually be visable. We know how to take care of the jackets, especially the non-Japanese ones that tend to be more fragile than an Egyption mummy.

My biggest problem these days is with sellers on LDDB who will give you a hilariously detailed description of every single minute defect on the cover but won't bother to play test the thing. If I'm buying a copy of Contact or The Fifth Element the FIRST question is whether or not the thing has rot. I guess they think (and are maybe correct) that LD collectors never actually watch what they collect.

It's so sad that the introduction of players that used a solid-state laser brought the end of LaserDisc's ease of handling and players that could cope almost transparently with disc scratches, scuffs and just plain dirty surfaces. It was, with Pioneer's first solid-state player, the LD-700, a slight step backwards in general picture quality too - the lower wavelength red laser picks up less disc noise than the infrared diode so Pioneer's top loading tube players, when properly adjusted, had a sharper picture with lower chroma noise. Anyway, after diode lasers became the norm, the claims of discs you could scratch and fingerprint with no I'll effects fell to the wayside. The one bright spot was the CLD-1010, which restored much of the formats ability to withstand mishandling. At the time though, the advantages of having a red laser vs infrared for playback wasn't really known or even discussed except in the context of tube players being better for use with DiscoVision discs, so owners who didn't collect DiscoVision had little reason to ask Pioneer for more players with red lasers.

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 03:53 
Serious fan
Serious fan

myrtle1beach wrote:
ebay id traderhorn from Texas. Sold me a new It Happened one Night i asked him to open it & check it & found out after he said it was perfect that the end of side 1 & all of side 2 was full of laser rot. I made a mistake & left feedback before i played it. Did tell him about it but no further responce so i will not purchase anymore from this seller.

+1 on traderhorn; just got a Paypal refund today and had to open an eBay dispute to get it.
The auction stated that the item was 'very good' but when I received it the jacket was ripped open on all three sides. It looked like someone had been using the disc and jacket for a frisbee.
I was giving the benefit of the doubt that this was a simple 'shipped the wrong disc' mistake but the fact he or she did not refund without me opening an eBay dispute puts me off from any further transactions. YMMV

PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 13:59 
He has lost 2 customers i doubt he is a member here unless someone tells him what a rip off he has been.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 03:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

myrtle1beach wrote:
ebay id traderhorn 3354 from Texas. Sold me a new It Happened one Night i asked him to open it & check it & found out after he said it was perfect that the end of side 1 & all of side 2 was full of laser rot. I made a mistake & left feedback before i played it. Did tell him about it but no further responce so i will not purchase anymore from this seller.

he is still on ebay, should i be worried?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 05:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

elieb wrote:
myrtle1beach wrote:

he is still on ebay, should i be worried?

:yawn: only you can make that choice :yawn:

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 06:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

well, i don't want to have rotted discs and end up wasting my money.

Page 1 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next