It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:02

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Good sellers - who are they and what have they done right?
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 12:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Just as we have a bad seller thread, it is just as important to have one for good sellers.
There are lots of great sellers out there who don't always get the credit they deserve.

We can use this thread to give them a mention so people are aware of who the very best sellers are.

These are just a few things I would consider that make a seller special:
consistently good prices and regular discounts
great variety of stock
helpful tracking down titles for you that may not be easily available
will go out of their way to find most economic shipping services
superb packaging every time no matter how many LDs you order
no issues with rot or other defects as discs are always checked carefully by default - you shouldn't need to ask
100% accurate grading of items
fast delivery if that is what you have paid for
flexible as regards payment methods

If this threads goes the way I anticipate we should end up with a fantastic resource of all the best laserdisc sellers in the world which will increase sales for those sellers and make the marketplace a safer place to conduct laserdisc purchases.

All the bad eggs mentioned in the other bad sellers thread will hopefully be forced to quit through lack of sales. Of course we may find some sellers get reported as both a good and a bad seller.This is quite feasible depending on what different people have experienced. If so then anyone planning on buying from such a seller tagged as both good and bad should exercise caution as the seller's reputation is certainly in question until either they or someone else can prove otherwise - I know a few who definitely fall into that category currently!!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 22 Apr 2012, 15:38, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Good sellers - who are they and what have they done rig
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 12:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

My first candidate for this thread is:

http://www.duffsflix.com/servlet/StoreFront

I've been a regular buyer from Mike Duff for years.
He is a very pleasant and helpful guy to do business with.
Packaging is as good if not better than any other seller in the world.
He goes the extra mile to include decent free sleeves with all LDs shipped.
He managed to identify a much cheaper service for shipping big parcels to me which was also really fast. No other seller has done this.
Quality of stock is fantastic. By way of example I picked up a beautiful copy of Beatles - Let it be for $99 a few weeks ago.
As far as I am concerned he leaves the other sellers high and dry.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 00:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
consistently good prices

No offense, but you would definitely not fall under that particular parameter.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 06:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

laserdiscoking wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:
consistently good prices

None taken although since you've never done business with me you don't know what discounts I offer.
Prices are always negotiable, especially for return buyers and the more you buy the bigger the discount.
I also offer the ability to swap discs so no money need ever change hands.....not too many others offering that these days.
My own tiny store stocks primarily the rarest titles so prices are correspondingly higher than someone stocking 80's movies but nothing quite in the $6000 price range as others are listing currently!!
I do however have a much larger inventory of duplicate stock in my personal collection some of which isn't quite so rare so prices are much cheaper.....try me if you dare!
I also have other copies with some wear which would be significantly discounted for anyone on a tighter budget.
I've had no complaints so far given the quality and rarity of titles I stock.

If you'd like more details feel free to contact me.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 07:40 
Serious fan
Serious fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
laserdiscoking wrote:
laserdisc_fan wrote:
consistently good prices

None taken although since you've never done business with me you don't know what discounts I offer.
Prices are always negotiable, especially for return buyers and the more you buy the bigger the discount.
I also offer the ability to swap discs so no money need ever change hands.....not too many others offering that these days.
My own tiny store stocks primarily the rarest titles so prices are correspondingly higher than someone stocking 80's movies but nothing quite in the $6000 price range as others are listing currently!!
I do however have a much larger inventory of duplicate stock in my personal collection some of which isn't quite so rare so prices are much cheaper.....try me if you dare!
I've had no complaints so far given the quality and rarity of titles I stock.

If you'd like more details feel free to contact me.

Yeah, you do have some nice stuff that is rare, and you're obviously a serious collector. It's not so much the rare stuff where your prices are ridiculously high, it's the not-so-rare stuff you sell along with them where the prices are gouged. For example, Stryper: Live in Japan [ID7919EN] goes for around $20-$40 regularly. This US release Stryper live concert is not particularly rare and comes up on ebay about once a month or so and it was released on US VHS as well.

Your price? $300. In 5/10 condition.

Now it's not necessary that I needed to have dealt with you before to know that you aren't going to discount the 90% off of your asking price to where it is even close to being what it's worth.

As wise man once said, "You don't have to buy it", and an even wiser man replied, "Nobody ever will."

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 15:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I dont want to start a fight here but I dont think laser_fan have stated that he in any way would be a cheap seller....

I dont know if I think that price should be a criteria for if a seller/shop is good. I for example think Urabanchou have extremly valueble prices but I believe some people in here would disagree in that. I think a good seller should be graded after the service they provide and not the prices they have.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 19:10 
Da Don gave me a refund for a laser rot Hustler i bought several years ago this forum does get the message out.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 19:51 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

laserdiscoking wrote:

Yeah, you do have some nice stuff that is rare, and you're obviously a serious collector. It's not so much the rare stuff where your prices are ridiculously high, it's the not-so-rare stuff you sell along with them where the prices are gouged. For example, Stryper: Live in Japan [ID7919EN] goes for around $20-$40 regularly. This US release Stryper live concert is not particularly rare and comes up on ebay about once a month or so and it was released on US VHS as well.

Your price? $300. In 5/10 condition.

Now it's not necessary that I needed to have dealt with you before to know that you aren't going to discount the 90% off of your asking price to where it is even close to being what it's worth.

As wise man once said, "You don't have to buy it", and an even wiser man replied, "Nobody ever will."

Stryper: Live in Japan - I'm actually glad you've picked that example as it an interesting title to discuss. I've always liked that disc and much prefer it to the other Stryper LD. Both Stryper discs are US only releases so no Japanese or European equivalent. Almost every hard rock/metal fan who I have got to know over the years has both those discs in their collection or wants them.

I've sold equal measures of both Stryper LDs over the years however I've always found the Live in Japan title to be much tougher to actually locate. I honestly don't know why (and if someone else does please let me know) but it turns up far less frequently on Ebay that the other Stryper title 'In The Beginning'. I was always amazed these two didn't get issued in Japan - it would have made total sense to release a 'live in Japan' in Japan but because that didn't happen it has pushed the price up. Same for other US only metal releases of which there are quite a few to hunt down. So my prices are a reflection of many factors - how hard it is for me to find titles, how much I had to pay for them, overall condition and demand. Any time the live in Japan appears on Ebay it always sells and if you manage to find it for $20-$40 then you should snap it up immediately as it is a great buy at that price.

I sell about 40-50 laserdiscs max per year so each one is pretty special.
I've a full time day job so this is just a hobby for me. If I sold none it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
I have never claimed to be the cheapest source. I just focus on titles that collectors really want.
If you are after anything that turns up regularly for $50 or less you would definitely be better to buy elsewhere as I cannot compete with those types of prices.
I don't deal in high volume/low end sales as I don't have the free time or even desire to process so many transactions.

I'd much rather focus on finding more interesting rare titles that people really appreciate.
So my advice is simple - try everyone else first and when they cannot locate it for you at any price contact me - I'll likely have every single title you require.
Most of the people I sell to are very passionate music enthusiasts like myself who have fantastic collections of their own but want to fill a few gaps - I believe I meet those requirements perfectly.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2012, 20:05 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

johan184 wrote:
I for example think Urabanchou have extremly valueble prices but I believe some people in here would disagree in that. I think a good seller should be graded after the service they provide and not the prices they have.

Good point and this leads me onto another favourite seller of mine http://www.urabanchou.com/
Absolutely fantastic laserdisc seller. I have bought tonnes of LDs from this shop over the years and love this store.
Amazing inventory- constant updates and new titles all the time.
If you are a keen collector you really need to check their shop on a daily basis!
Great packaging - never once received a single disc damaged during shipping.
Found some titles for me that I requested on a wishlist.
Most helpful shop to do business with.
As a music fan I also found lots of other interesting things to buy from them as well like CDs, LPs, VHDs, tour programs, betamax tapes....the list just goes on.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 00:42 
I've had a few very positive purchases from this shop:

http://www.lddb.com/shops/tanjun/

Reasonable prices but he really goes above and beyond with the packaging and customer service. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012, 00:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I can say everything_place is a great seller because I had bought a CAV DiscoVision pressing of the Blues Brothers and it arrived in perfect shape and it was packed really nice

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012, 19:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

discoman wrote:
I can say everything_place is a great seller because I had bought a CAV DiscoVision pressing of the Blues Brothers and it arrived in perfect shape and it was packed really nice

I agree - I've bought lots of laserdiscs from everything_place and was always very pleased.

Another great seller is http://www.discountlaserdisc.com/ AKA Chuck Legg. I found out about Chuck only recently from what others had said on this forum and have bought 30+ discs so far. He stocks many rare titles that I could not find elsewhere and in very nice condition - many often brand new in fact. He will go out of his way to open sealed stock to ensure it plays well if you are nervous about certain titles and his shipping is very efficient. Highly recommended.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 18 Jun 2012, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2012, 20:11 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

A seller I have been dealing with for almost as long as I have been collecting laserdiscs is n$a AKA Nicolas Santini.
Despite the humble home page which he uses http://home.q03.itscom.net/nsa/ (which was the same in 2006!!) it listed everything I needed to know and I soon got in contact with him.

Quite simply he was the only person who stocked many of the music laserdiscs I originally wanted for my collection.
I've lost track of exactly how many discs I bought from Nicolas over the years but it is a significant number.

I've never been disappointed with anything I bought from him - quite the opposite in fact.
His grading is conservative so I often found that what I received was better than my expectation.

The packaging he uses is also top notch.

Nicolas is definitely a trustworthy seller and also someone who is a good contact if you have a wishlist of obscure titles!
Even now when I have over 5000 music LDs in my collection I still find he has the odd one I still require.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 12:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ucfmatt wrote:
I've had a few very positive purchases from this shop:

http://www.lddb.com/shops/tanjun/

Reasonable prices but he really goes above and beyond with the packaging and customer service. Highly recommended.

:thumbup: Me too! Really helpful and friendly fellow, found some very nice discs for my own collection there. Always does inspections on every item to make sure it's all rot-free and clean. Provides sharp photos so you can take a closer look at the covers. Packaging is awesome too...

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2012, 09:58 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A more global comment: don't forget to post the right feedback (positive/neutral/negative) after a transaction. It does tell to others what has happened and how it happened, either good or bad.

Any neutral/negative triggers a closer inspection from my side. I don't want LDDb shops to become the wild wild west. I'd rather have less shops running neatly than too many shops bringing troubles.

Do not hesitate to PM me when you find wrongly graded LDs, wrong description ("I'm listing here but I am selling the PAL version"), or anything unusual.

We had a few scammers before and also a few well known deadbeat buyers and suspicious sellers. Only quick feedback can help regulate the problems.

Sorry for the serious speech, you can now all get back to your normal life :P

Julien

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 22:33 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Next on my list of recommended laserdisc sellers is Kevin Grosky AKA laserdiscvault.com.
A point to make is this thread is I'm not listing sellers in any particular order - they are all great sellers.

I haven't known Kevin for as long as some of the other sellers I've done business with but his customer service is every bit as good as the best of them from my experience so far.

His packaging is actually my favourite of all of the laserdisc sellers. The reason is very simple - it is easy to open and yet very safe!
He double boxes everything using a LP mailer inside a much stronger outer box and uses two layers of bubblewrap around the second inner box.
This can be taken apart within seconds and also re-used. No other seller uses this exact same technique and it is actually the simplest and the best method of packing LDs I've ever seen as it doesn't go overboard with unnecessary tape or padding etc.

Kevin is also one of the few sellers to consistently offer regular discounts which are really significant when buying lots of discs.

As regards his stock - well I have bought some very rare music LDs from him and also some fantastic movies which I could not find anywhere else and I search everywhere!
I always find that when I email him about a particular title I literally get a reply within a matter of minutes and that is very impressive given I live in the UK and he is in the US!

I will definitely be buying many more titles from him in the future as he is a great source for LDs. I just wish he was based in the UK!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 04 Aug 2012, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2012, 23:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Next on my list of recommended laserdisc sellers is Kevin Grosky AKA laserdiscvault.com.
A point to make is this thread is not listing sellers in any particular order - they are all great sellers.

I haven't known Kevin for as long as some of the other sellers I've done business with but his customer service is every bit as good as the best of them from my experience so far.

His packaging is actually my favourite of all of the laserdisc sellers. The reason is very simple - it is easy to open and yet very safe!
He double boxes everything using a LP mailer inside a much stronger outer box and uses two layers of bubblewrap around the second inner box.
This can be taken apart within seconds and also re-used. No other seller uses this exact same technique and it is actually the simplest and the best method of packing LDs I've ever seen as it doesn't go overboard with unnecessary tape or padding etc.

Kevin is also one of the few sellers to consistently offer regular discounts which are really significant when buying lots of discs.

As regards his stock - well I have bought some very rare music LDs from him and also some fantastic movies which I could not find anywhere else and I search everywhere!
I always find that when I email him about a particular title I literally get a reply within a matter of minutes and that is very impressive given I live in the UK and he is in the US!

I will definitely be buying many more titles from him in the future as he is a great source for LDs. I just wish he was based in the UK!

I agree totally. I've bought from the LaserDisc Vault a few times and he's always quick with emails. I usually get a reply within hours. Not to mention his outer sleeves are my new favorite.

PostPosted: 07 May 2013, 19:20 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

http://www.tokyomusicjapan.com an online shop operated from Japan by Ben Backhurst is another candidate that is long overdue a recommendation as a truly superb laserdisc seller.

If you collect music laserdiscs this is the first place you should check out.

He always stocks thousands of rare Japanese music laserdiscs and his prices are very competitive.

I've been buying titles from Ben since 2006 and still keep returning. His stock never ceases to amaze me.

Packaging is superb - top of the range and super fast delivery. I've never received anything damaged or delayed.

Condition - always grades items very carefully and many of the titles have photos. He is happy to provide more details if you ask and will also verify playback.

Will reserve items if required.

Gives discounts on bigger purchases and also runs special offers on selective items from time to time. Check store for details.

If you are just starting to collect music LDs and want to add some of the rarer titles in beautiful condition to your collection this is the place to begin.

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 00:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Duane aka Grasshopper is a %100 trustworthy and reliable man for any repair or service needs of your LD players. He was kind enough to help me diagnose my player and even mailed me the part I need for free of charge(at least $50 value with shipping).

Later I bought more parts from him. His packaging was bulletproof and shipping was fast. He is very honest and he won't sell you any service/part you don't need.

I recommend him to anyone who is looking for a tune up or repair on their beloved LD player. Rest assured it will be in good hands the entire process.

PostPosted: 29 May 2015, 00:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening Guys & ladies,

The good sellers that I have had the good pleasure of doing business with are as follows;

1) Julien Wilk: Lddb site administrator (totally trustworthy Guy who takes pride in giving the exact details of each LD that he sold myself, and with the top quality packaging cannot be beat and only matched by one other........

2) Nicolas Santini: I have been doing business with for around 10 years now same great service as above, and has been patient in waiting around 8 years for myself to pay for my reserved order of around 28 LD Titles, of which I should receive by the end ofr July 2015......FINALLY!

Great seller and to be honest we have both earned each others respect over the years has never let me down at all.

There are more sellers to mention here, but feel that for me personally the above two are my personal best.

Regards to all

:thumbup: :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]