It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:21

Page 2 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: AVOID Duncan Hunter/Bayview Electronics/laserdiscservice
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 04:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
I don't see how anything you said there was a response to anything I said. Was it supposed to be? To me, human lives are more important than CD players. That was my point. If you care to address that, fine, if not please holster that machine gun you have that only fires emoticons and exclamation points. I think we've seen the full potential of that excuse for discussion.

And in all seriousness, everything in those shots looks like it's junk. I don't see anything but spares. We can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt there are a bunch of scopes and X-0s at the bottom of that pile. Another meaningless distinction? Maybe, but before anyone gets pissed about how their precious gear is in a windowless shed, it might be good to keep that in mind.

agree, human lives are more important than CD players, i'm not trying to say anything of the sort.
what I am saying is that he is a thief, do you disagree with that :|

and he likes being a thief since he keeps taking on players, and in my book that is just low, and pretty much as low as one can get.

:wtf: :yawn: :wtf: :yawn: :wtf: :yawn:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 22:16 
True fan
True fan

August 7/2015 to Grasshopper

Duncan sent this too me after I asked him who was Jenny!!!!!

Duncan says this "Jenny with the S2 is an engineer. Not an old flame, just a customer.
Just finished doing the base coat on the house. Mary Beth wanted a repaint so the BIG part is done now.
Now I can get back to work. Have a Sony gas laser player that I'm working on now. Have to do a mod to the cabinet so the spindle motor will turn. It's another machine for an arcade game. Other than that have a CLD-79, CLD-59 in progress plus a McIntosh MLD-7020.
So, it's been brutal hot here (good beer weather).

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 01:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Interesting, Grasshopper...especially since none of those models match the outstanding jobs listed at the beginning of the thread (though the McIntosh may, or may not, be the one that a person on Yelp said they had been waiting since February of 2014 to receive....who knows).

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 05:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

. o O (... who would bother mailing out a CLD-59? It's just a 504 with a shiny front panel...)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 06:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

happycube wrote:
. o O (... who would bother mailing out a CLD-59? It's just a 504 with a shiny front panel...)

Sentimental reasons? I see a DVL-909 in those pictures and it's not like there's a ton of love for that player either.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 06:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I asked him to sell me one of his theta voyager months ago, I was willing to buy it not functioning, he didn't sell it. Now I see it on top of the pile inside the manufacturers box:)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 15:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

happycube wrote:
who would bother mailing out a CLD-59?

Or a CD player. Honestly, those can be found for peanuts at any local freemarket and even a basic model gets the job done.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 15:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Tragic to see/read

I would hate to see my player(s) laying around in some backyard shed like that.
Not a very professional look if you ask me. moisture, damp, unheated non insulated.... OMG
some cardboard unheated dump in the middle of nowhere is a repair centre? I would avoid even looking at my player if that is what it takes.
I can understand it's more of a hobby for some but this is beneath everything I know. Not even the basic needed things are there...

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

I do hope you guys get your player(s) back but I'm afraid they are... :thumbdown:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 17:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nissling wrote:
happycube wrote:

Or a CD player. Honestly, those can be found for peanuts at any local freemarket and even a basic model gets the job done.

but this wasn't a basic model :yawn:

it is a pioneer model and a vintage one that does not come up on ebay very often.
Thanks for nothing niss :yawn:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 18:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
nissling wrote:
happycube wrote:

but this wasn't a basic model :yawn:

it is a pioneer model and a vintage one that does not come up on ebay very often.
Thanks for nothing niss :yawn:

I think both of the initial posts miss the point. For one thing, we don't know that anybody mailed a CLD-59 to Duncan -- it could have been delivered to Duncan in the same way that Jennifer's player was, meeting him somewhere because his "shop" is located deep in the woods and therefore hard to find (after seeing the pictures, I have my own opinion about this, but again, in the interest of sticking to what is directly verifiable, I'll shy away from offering it). On top of that, Rein-o had previously dealt with Duncan (as detailed in the original thread) and had a favorable experience. If he liked the CD player, and Duncan told him he could repair it, what's the big deal if he sent it off?

Regardless of whether, in your opinion or anyone else's, a piece of equipment was "worth" being sent off for repairs, the simple fact of the matter is that it was sent off and it has yet to be returned. I mean, by the same logic, why send *anybody* a laserdisc player for service work? After all, there's a pile of them out there, and even a basic model gets the job done, right?

Opinions are opinions. Anybody can look at any situation, I'm sure, and draw any conclusion they wish to from what is presented. At the end of the day, though, the only "bad choice" I see that we all had in common has nothing to do with what we sent out for work, but that we trusted a business to repair/modify/return our equipment in a timely manner based on the favorable recommendations of others. That's a bad choice which could literally be made by anyone without having any information to the contrary (hence the existence of the original thread, as well as this one).

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2015, 22:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Points taken. I think my thinking was that the fancier the player, the fewer people there are around to repair them. Only a handful of people (with leftover fingers) work on the gas tube players AFAIK, a handful more the S2/X0, etc. The 59/504 are waaay on the other end of that.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 02:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just my comment.....The reason I sent my cld-92 was because it was non functioning and was alreay in the USA, which didn't cost much to have it sent to Duncan. Sending it from me in Canada to the USA would be probably close to 100 dollars with the weight properly packaged. (not including the shipping cost back to me) And I wanted to have a player that was properly aligned. I think most will agree a cheaper lower model player properly aligned can give a better picture then a better model that's badly out of alignment.

I might also add......in one of messages I got he temporary was working out of a room in the living area. If so, some players might be inside.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 04:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have entertained the idea of sending my McIntosh MLD7020 in for a tune up a couple of years ago but I decided against it. It wasn't worth it between the cost of good packaging material, shipping both ways and risking breaking the front glass face of the unit.

About the situation with Duncan, let's think realistically,
1- The guy is struggling as it seems, you aren't getting your money back period.
2- You can make piece with the guy, not p**s him off any further, maybe one day you will get your player back, working or not working. If you sweet talk the guy, more than likely, you will get your player back,probably fixed but perhaps after long time.
3- You have no hope of getting your player or money back, you will never forgive Duncan? I think you are wasting your breath here. It is time to forget about it. Visiting these threads will only increase your frustration.
4- Nevertheless this thread will warn others about the situation.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2015, 05:38 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

vinylcollector wrote:
Just my comment.....The reason I sent my cld-92 was because it was non functioning and was alreay in the USA, which didn't cost much to have it sent to Duncan. Sending it from me in Canada to the USA would be probably close to 100 dollars with the weight properly packaged. (not including the shipping cost back to me) And I wanted to have a player that was properly aligned. I think most will agree a cheaper lower model player properly aligned can give a better picture then a better model that's badly out of alignment.

I might also add......in one of messages I got he temporary was working out of a room in the living area. If so, some players might be inside.

Vinylcollector, it would be nice to update your entry in the first post with a few more details, if you don't mind and if you are able to provide them. Do you happen to know when you paid Duncan for the player repairs and shipping costs? When was the last time you received any information from him? Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much did he charge you for the repairs and shipping?

substance wrote:
I have entertained the idea of sending my McIntosh MLD7020 in for a tune up a couple of years ago but I decided against it. It wasn't worth it between the cost of good packaging material, shipping both ways and risking breaking the front glass face of the unit.

About the situation with Duncan, let's think realistically,
1- The guy is struggling as it seems, you aren't getting your money back period.
2- You can make piece with the guy, not p**s him off any further, maybe one day you will get your player back, working or not working. If you sweet talk the guy, more than likely, you will get your player back,probably fixed but perhaps after long time.
3- You have no hope of getting your player or money back, you will never forgive Duncan? I think you are wasting your breath here. It is time to forget about it. Visiting these threads will only increase your frustration.
4- Nevertheless this thread will warn others about the situation.

I think that #1, and the first part of #3 (we have no hope of getting equipment/money back) are where things stand (I know Grasshopper mentioned trying to get a refund from him in an earlier post to this thread...but I really don't see it happening)...hence why #4 is important. I understand your point with #2, and you might be correct, but I honestly disagree very strongly with that approach (and I'll leave it at that, heh).

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 05:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would have to look up what I paid.....but I paid for repairs and return shipping Dec 6, 2012

My last reply from him was August 7th of this month. He was working on getting the old stuff finished up and done.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 10:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

A lot of people invested at least a couple of hundreds in this, number 2 option is not an easy approach for them. It sounds diplomatic though. You play it nicely until you get what you deserve. Sad but in this day and age, unfortunately it works better.

Number 4 is important. People should mention the updates, any communication with the guy and if they receive anything.

Number 3 is where a lot of people is and will be at, the only way to reverse that is to find the guy physically and have him hand you your player back. In his mind he already lost you as a customer, reversing this is impossible, he probably sees little reason to rush your repair.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 16:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
...Or a CD player. Honestly, those can be found for peanuts at any local freemarket and even a basic model gets the job done.

sure, any competent CDP design will do all that is necessary, but how many of them out there will look this good doing it?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 21:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

out of 4 things shipped to him to look at around the time I got half back and half stayed. While I liked the PD-5700 it was impossible to source the lens so eventually I told him to keep it but he made no acknowledgement on that. I've also stopped caring about the digital optical mod for the Lexicon LDD-1, no acknowledgement on that either. I would be happy to have this back. to replace it I went the Pioneer SP-99D route in which after 3 tries I ended up with a complete and working one. 1 arrived broken and no sound another with output only one speaker and third is the best and most perfect one of all.

finally caved on an LD-S1 with manual since the LDS-2 hasn't arrived that I paid for. A refund or the actual player would be nice.

am trying to find the exact day and the price I paid through paypal.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 16:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

- DISREGARD -

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 01:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Ok I had paid 164.50 USD for repairs and shipping it back to me.

vinylcollector

Page 2 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next