It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 05:42

Page 7 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: AVOID Duncan Hunter/Bayview Electronics/laserdiscservice
PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 06:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Being in Canada.....too far for me to go get my player, but those in the USA could if you are near him.

PostPosted: 17 May 2016, 16:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

doesn't seem like much fun being an LD enthusiast anymore, does it?

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 16:50 
I'd like to say that my experience with Duncan has been quite different from these horror stories. I've known Duncan since the 1980's when I lived in Olympia, Washington and he opened Bayview Electronics. He's repaired several pieces of my equipment over the years.

Most recently he repaired my CLD-99. I live about five hours away from Olympia now, so when my player went south in December of 2015, I shipped it to him. Within a couple of days of its arrival he got back to me. He had checked out the player quickly, and it was ready for me within a couple of weeks. To avoid the risk of shipping damage I decided to wait until I could drive to Olympia to pick it up.

He held the player for me until May of 2016, when we could finally drive up to get it. Throughout he responded to every email quickly and fully. My wife had business in Seattle last week and drove to get the player on May 27th. Duncan arranged to meet her on I5, and had to wait for quite a while because she was stuck in traffic. She said he was completely fine with this, even though it was obviously an imposition on him. My CLD-99 is back home and working just as it should.

Duncan is one of the few people still doing LD repairs, and most people know him as one of the best technicians. I'm sure he must be overwhelmed by demands from folks to fix their aging players yesterday. Let's all cut him some slack, OK?

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 18:05 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ld wrote:
I'd like to say that my experience with Duncan has been quite different from these horror stories. I've known Duncan since the 1980's when I lived in Olympia, Washington and he opened Bayview Electronics. He's repaired several pieces of my equipment over the years.

Most recently he repaired my CLD-99. I live about five hours away from Olympia now, so when my player went south in December of 2015, I shipped it to him. Within a couple of days of its arrival he got back to me. He had checked out the player quickly, and it was ready for me within a couple of weeks. To avoid the risk of shipping damage I decided to wait until I could drive to Olympia to pick it up.

He held the player for me until May of 2016, when we could finally drive up to get it. Throughout he responded to every email quickly and fully. My wife had business in Seattle last week and drove to get the player on May 27th. Duncan arranged to meet her on I5, and had to wait for quite a while because she was stuck in traffic. She said he was completely fine with this, even though it was obviously an imposition on him. My CLD-99 is back home and working just as it should.

Duncan is one of the few people still doing LD repairs, and most people know him as one of the best technicians. I'm sure he must be overwhelmed by demands from folks to fix their aging players yesterday. Let's all cut him some slack, OK?

Since you speak so highly of him and are in contact with him, tell him to send my P-D70 player back as is.
Do you think you can get him to do that???
Or are you just duncan.

By the way, i've done some searching on Facebook and found him.
Search Hunter Washington, he is about 20 down as Sandy Hunter.

PostPosted: 29 May 2016, 18:32 
I figured someone would think I'm just Duncan in disguise. But I'm not. And he didn't ask me to write this.

I stumbled on this forum by chance and only wanted to report my own experience. The world of on-line reviews, ratings, and comments is getting pretty cut-throat. You never can be sure that the person who dumps on a restaurant, or a repair shop, or anything else isn't just a competitor who wants to damage the other guy. Or that there isn't another side to the story. Or for that matter that praise isn't self-generated. Too bad.

Please just take my comment for what it is: My own experience in dealing with Duncan very recently. Like the day before yesterday.

Regarding your player, why don't you trying emailing Duncan at service@laserdiscservice.com ?

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 03:06 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What do you think i've done :yawn:
last message he sent said that he would smash my player if i didn't remove a comment posted here.
I did and still no player or even a response from him.
He is DOA and there is no contact from him.

But he is on facebook and hasn't responded to my messages there either.

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 15:34 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
Lets not forget that gumbyandpals never received his player back from Duncan rather he had someone else pick it up.

So he is still not getting anything done and sitting on a of our gear.

I haven't written to Duncan in over 4 years, but back in 2012, he was complaining about a lot of issues he was having with his back (herniated disc, I think), which kept him from lifting even relatively light players. He said at the time that he had a local high school wrestler help him lift players onto his work bench and help him ship them off. I'm wondering if he's physically unable to do any lifting and must rely on someone else/someone else's timetable to help him.

This does not explain him ignoring e-mails, however. If he's physically unable to move/lift players, then he needs to e-mail customers to explain the situation. Even if it's one giant, copy-and-pasted e-mail that he sends to everyone, it would alleviate a lot of people's worries about their player(s).

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 21:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A comment from http://www.bytecellar.com/2012/01/10/a- ... community/ made me think of Duncan...

"Ben says: I’ve seen this happen before when people sell stuff out of their home. They get used to the money coming (in) and even though they know they can’t provide the service any longer they still want the money. It’s greed is what it is, they figure they can just keep stringing you along while they figure out how to get rid of you."

It does seem like Duncan can still fix players, just not mail them back out...

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2016, 06:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My earlier dealings with Duncan getting parts was fine, which is why I had my player sent to him. The replies I did get.....soon as things improve, just a bit more time etc. And yes I was more then patient waiting with him as long as I did. But I can't seem to get any replies from him now. If there is an issue of some sort, if he would e-mail the people and tell them what's going on, most people are understanding.

It seems if your able to go meet with him to pick up your player you might still be ok.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 17:03 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Seriously this is just sad, and i feel bad for all the folks whose players have gone into the black hole that appears to be Duncan Hunter/BayviewElectronics/laserdiscservice...especially as he once had a long standing, and reputable business....ive been reading these threads over the last few months, and it always astounds me that the odd (new) poster (and i'm one too obviously) will suddenly pop onto this thread and state that oh hey they just had a great experience with Duncan, and got their player back, and they "just happened" to stumble across this forum, and had to share how great he is.... like wow. Hopefully someday everyone will get a happy resolution on this, and a boatload of players back, but looks pretty unlikely.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 05:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, i've had 2 great dealings with Duncan in the past.
So at one time he was good but now he is DOA.

I also like how Julien is always on here to tell us that the guy from Brazil is trolling around but won't chime in about these random posts of Duncan is great.

other than Duane and Kurtis LD is dead.

Who would have though that CED players would outlast LD players.
A person who has very little repair knowledge can fix a CED player but LD players we are SOL.

Very sad and i wish that new poster LD would pickup my player and pay to get it sent back to me.......
but something tells me that he knows its spoon time :yawn:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 05:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

LD players were always more complex than CED players in principle - and most CED players were built in the US, so there are more people involved with building them around - yes, LD was designed in California, but... from https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... mIY-WqZrAJ :
Quote:
When I got a DL ~8/10 years ago (~1990!), it came with a broken 7820. I worked for 2.5 years to fix that beast. Bought $100+ worth of manuals from Pioneer. Tracked down one of the ORIGINAL ENGINEERS who designed the beast. His quote: "Kid, you should forget it. We designed the damn things and WE couldn't fix them."... needless to say, I was fairly disheartened. That player was gutted for the laser platform :)

Thankfully LD players got a lot simpler after that, but there hasn't been a need until recently for a group like CEDatum, and there isn't a critical mass of technicians in the same area to form one.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2016, 17:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 01:20 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:

RIP :yawn:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 05:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

that was a much-vaunted and exclusive history to be justly proud of that our friend had surely once worked quite hard for...

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016, 20:56 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I've been using Duncan's services for more than a decade, and he's worked on my player more than once. I've always found his service to be excellent and fairly quick and his replies to be prompt and courteous...

...until now.

I contacted him in January about a problem with my player, and he said that he had a six week backlog. "No problem," I thought, as I don't play laserdiscs all that often anymore. A few weeks won't matter.

I last heard from him on January 27, when he confirmed receiving the player via UPS.

It's been nearly five months, and I've yet to hear back and haven't received any replies to email queries.

I really don't know what to make of this.

Charlie

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 22:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Add me to the list.

I wish I had seen this thread before I had an ebay purchase shipped directly to him instead of myself, and then only a month ago sent Duncan almost $200 by paypal!!
At least the player only cost $150 according to my paypal history. Looks like I'll never see that thing.

But look how nice he sounds in these emails.... btw no answer since the last one in this pdf.
There are some other emails between us, but this thread covers the entire history from when I first puchased a player, when it shipped, when he got it, WHEN HE CONFIRMED RECEIVING IT 9 MONTHS AGO, to right now my most recent few emails and his lack or response to date.

And by now I bet too much time has past since he tricked me into giving him money, that I bet I can't even submit any kind of claim with paypal any more.

I'm in NJ. Is there anybody anywhere near him that can act as a courier and actually go over there and ship them to the rest of us? I'd pay someone for that favor.

PDF of email thread:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bys6e ... WdGVEh4b1k

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 22:43 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

A day after my previous post, I received an email message from Duncan. Said he'd had three injuries in the past few months that left him "a bit disabled" and that he had checked out my player but had yet to do any work on it.

Not sure what I'm going to do, (or ask him to do) but I did hear back from him.

Charlie

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 00:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

If you can write an email that says you are a bit disabled, you can write an email that says "I don't do this service any more." I had my player sent to him, on his OK, years after some of these other people had already had problems with him. So There is no excuse for this. He absolutely knew that he couldn't or wouldn't do the work at the time he told me he would do it.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 00:42 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Let's be clear - I'm not excusing anything, nor am I defending Duncan or his actions (or lack thereof.) I'm simply saying that I heard from the guy and reporting what he had to say in his message.

That is all.

Charlie

Page 7 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next