It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:44

Page 5 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: AVOID Duncan Hunter/Bayview Electronics/laserdiscservice
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 17:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

lightfoot wrote:
Hello, all....I'm new to the forum. I stumbled upon it today while doing an online search and I'm only sorry I didn't even know about it till now. Unfortunately, I sent in my LD player for repair four months ago and I have not even heard a peep back from the gentleman I sent it to. Before I shipped it off, we exchanged several emails and at that time, he did explain it would be several months before he would even have the chance to look at it. And now that much time has passed, I have sent him several emails, asking about the current status. Sadly, there have been no replies and so, it now looks as though I'm in the same boat as all the others on this forum.

Duncan strikes again, wow when will he take his site down and stop stealing players.

Can we finally start taking legal actions.
Please let me know what steps to take.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 17:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Now I realize that you (Rein-o, but all others too) are upset for what have happened but are you serious about your signature? It's as if you want to point out that you're a victim and that he's our equivalent to the Devil. I don't care if you point out in this specific thread how low respect you have for him but FFS, we don't need to see it in every freaking thread you post in.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 18:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I think it's good to raise awareness of the problem for any newbies who might not stumble across this thread. To be honest I find the image more annoying than a single line of text (but I don't really mind either).

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 18:57 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Here is a message that I was forwarded by Grasshopper from a very lucky person.
What really gets me is that he is still taking on new players from unsuspecting people.

"Greetings, I hope you might assist a new member with some brief advice?

I'm contacting you because I've been following threads on lddb.com's Forums for a few weeks now, to find a place to get my recently-bought player serviced. It has some severe video interference issues, but is in fine shape overall.

In brief, I found LDservice.com earlier this week and got into contact with Duncan, who has been very responsive, with replies on the order of an hour or less to my inquiries. He's more than happy to have me drop off my player for service in WA, which is doable as I live within a few hour's drive / ferry trip.

BUT: I've only JUST yesterday discovered the threads on LDDB.com regarding Duncan's lack of follow-through on repairs, and that's left me in a pickle as to whether to trust him. I'm leaning to NOT.

Do you offer any kind of repair service? My player works, but has screen issues that Duncan said 'might be the capacitors' which is really vague. I'm no technician, so I'm loathe to ruin a rare xxxxxx in a repair attempt. The only other place remotely close to me I can find for service is in Portland, but they haven't responded to my email yet.

I would greatly appreciate your advice as to what to do. Duncan appears to still be active on the LDDB Forums, so asking for advice there seems likely to tip him off - he's obviously quick to respond to emails sent to his website too.

I'm rather disheartened, as in the end, all I want to do is enjoy my laserdisc collection with a decent picture.

Thank-you,

xxxxxxxxxx."

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 17:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

lightfoot wrote:
Hello, all....I'm new to the forum. I stumbled upon it today while doing an online search and I'm only sorry I didn't even know about it till now. Unfortunately, I sent in my LD player for repair four months ago and I have not even heard a peep back from the gentleman I sent it to. Before I shipped it off, we exchanged several emails and at that time, he did explain it would be several months before he would even have the chance to look at it. And now that much time has passed, I have sent him several emails, asking about the current status. Sadly, there have been no replies and so, it now looks as though I'm in the same boat as all the others on this forum.

What address did he have you send your player too? That might be his location where he is now.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 09:01 
It went to a PO box in Yelm WA

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2016, 06:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nothing yet.........

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 01:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nothing here either

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 06:27 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

rein-o wrote:
Here is a message that I was forwarded by Grasshopper from a very lucky person.
What really gets me is that he is still taking on new players from unsuspecting people.

"Greetings, I hope you might assist a new member with some brief advice?

I'm contacting you because I've been following threads on lddb.com's Forums for a few weeks now, to find a place to get my recently-bought player serviced. It has some severe video interference issues, but is in fine shape overall.

In brief, I found LDservice.com earlier this week and got into contact with Duncan, who has been very responsive, with replies on the order of an hour or less to my inquiries. He's more than happy to have me drop off my player for service in WA, which is doable as I live within a few hour's drive / ferry trip.

BUT: I've only JUST yesterday discovered the threads on LDDB.com regarding Duncan's lack of follow-through on repairs, and that's left me in a pickle as to whether to trust him. I'm leaning to NOT.

Do you offer any kind of repair service? My player works, but has screen issues that Duncan said 'might be the capacitors' which is really vague. I'm no technician, so I'm loathe to ruin a rare xxxxxx in a repair attempt. The only other place remotely close to me I can find for service is in Portland, but they haven't responded to my email yet.

I would greatly appreciate your advice as to what to do. Duncan appears to still be active on the LDDB Forums, so asking for advice there seems likely to tip him off - he's obviously quick to respond to emails sent to his website too.

I'm rather disheartened, as in the end, all I want to do is enjoy my laserdisc collection with a decent picture.

Thank-you,

xxxxxxxxxx."

Thanks for forwarding this, Rein-o. Even if we remain SOL, I am at least glad to see that this thread is preventing others from making the same mistake as we did.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 19:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I received my player at work this morning:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0gm4d ... sp=sharing
I'll have to wait until I get home to make sure everything works, but it looks fine visually. I was assisted in recovering the player by a very helpful individual who goes by tracksnblades17 here on LDDB. He offered to try and meet up with Duncan while he was in the area. Duncan agreed and the player was handed off and subsequently shipped back to me. I'm very grateful to tracksnblades17 and glad to have this resolved after nearly 3 years.

Last edited by gumbyandpals on 26 Feb 2016, 23:14, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Laserdisc Player
CLD-3080 w/ AC-3

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 22:48 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

that is great! I can't see the picture. hope it was worth the wait.:)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2016, 20:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

gumbyandpals wrote:
I received my player at work this morning:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0gm4d ... sp=sharing
I'll have to wait until I get home to make sure everything works, but it looks fine visually. I was assisted in recovering the player by a very helpful individual who goes by tracksnblades17 here on LDDB. He offered to try and meet up with Duncan while he was in the area. Duncan agreed and the player was handed off and subsequently shipped back to me. I'm very grateful to tracksnblades17 and glad to have this resolved after nearly 3 years.

Thanks for the update. I have edited the initial post to remove you from the list of people who are still waiting on players.

Did the player work when you tested it?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2016, 21:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The player works fine. I sent it out to be aligned because it was exhibiting a decent amount of crosstalk. The crosstalk is gone, so it appears the requested service was done.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2016, 17:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i sure hope for the sake of all involved that this is only the first in an extended series of properly serviced players
being finally -FINALLY- returned to to their respective owners.

if this actually takes place, perhaps everyone should lay off on Hunter, and give the fellow a chance to try to make up.

life can be a real mother sometimes, and perhaps Mr. Duncan has been dealt an especially lousy series of hands.
sure, there were better, more Honorable ways of dealing with ones professional obligations,
but Human Emotion, especially at it's extremes, can quite often put a rather unprofessional and irrational skew
on one's thought and behavioral patterns.

no one here on these boards knows with any certainty what exactly Hunter has been going through
these last couple/three years now, but if he suddenly comes into a position
of attempting to extend an olive branch to his "Former" customer base,
then i'm thinking that that customer base should give the man every opportunity
to make up for his past transgressions.

We will See what eventually Becomes of this...

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016, 05:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Lets not forget that gumbyandpals never received his player back from Duncan rather he had someone else pick it up.

So he is still not getting anything done and sitting on a of our gear.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016, 19:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

like i said, let's hope that this is only the beginning of an effort to make good on his legacy customer base.

and, if it isn't, perhaps he might be reading this right this moment.

in that case, please rethink your actions, Mr. Hunter. if you intend to hang up your career and retire,
please consider making good on your customer base first, so you can retire with a a clean conscience,
and some semblance of sense of professionalism and personal honor.

you clearly have/had a long, experienced and dignified career as a professional serviceman,
specializing in LD-based A/V technologies, something to be quite proud of, to be held in high esteem for the remainder of your days,
a long and proud Career indeed, the twilight years of which you had once served as a priceless asset to the world's LD enthusiast/Fan community.

you aren't doing yourself or your hard-won highly specialized skillset any credit whatsoever by behaving in such a lowbrow fashion.
you probably have your reasons, whatever they might be, and whatever logical sense they may or may not make
to anyone who isn't yourself, but please do try to consider what it must be like to those of this fanbase
that you have done this injustice upon, they all trusted you, often with many of their most cherished possessions,
with the presumed faith that they would receive them in better condition then they sent them to you in,
Faith that you would repair and optimize them to the best of your professional ability.

i wish you would seriously consider all of this, and consider making good on your professional obligations
to all here involved. i realize this would be a serious undertaking,
but i personally feel that you Owe it, to yourself, and to your once-loyal customer base here on LDDB...

Last edited by tasuke on 09 Mar 2016, 19:40, edited 1 time in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2016, 19:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

tasuke wrote:
like i said, let's hope that this is only the beginning of an effort to make good on his legacy customer base.

and, if it isn't, perhaps he might be reading this right this moment.

in that case, please rethink your actions, Mr. Hunter. if you intend to hang up your career and retire,
please consider making good on your customer base first, so you can retire with a a clean conscience,
and some semblance of sense of professionalism and personal honor.

you clearly have/had a long, experienced and dignified career as a professional serviceman,
specializing in LD-based A/V technologies, something to be quite proud of, to be held in high esteem for the remainder of your days,
the twilight of which you served as a priceless asset to the world's LD enthusiast/Fan community.

you aren't doing yourself or your hard-won highly specialized skillset any services behaving in such a lowbrow fashion.
you probably have your reasons, whatever they might be, and whatever logical sense they may or may not make
to anyone who isn't yourself, but please do try to consider what it must be like to those of this fanbase
that you have done this injustice upon, they all trusted you, often with many of their most cherished possessions,
with the presumed faith that they would receive them in better condition then they sent them to you in,
Faith that you would repair and optimize them to the best of your professional ability.

i wish you would seriously consider all of this, and consider making good on your professional obligations
to all here involved. i realize this would be a serious undertaking,
but i personally feel that you Owe it, to yourself, and to your once-loyal customer base here on LDDB...

This is really nice of you, I really do hope he reads this and acknowledges it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2016, 00:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good to hear someone got their player back even if it required a bit of assistance. I'm going to e-mail Duncan again about mine.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 17:44 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

and everything was silent.... :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 22:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

No reply from the e-mail I sent him.

Page 5 of 13 [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next