It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Beta Movies
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 09:56 
Second post
Second post

I think this website since it involves all extinct media needs to include Beta Max I would be more than happy to help build a database on here I have tons of Beta movies.

Post subject: Re: Beta Movies
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 10:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

niceguy1283 wrote:
I think this website since it involves all extinct media needs to include Beta Max I would be more than happy to help build a database on here I have tons of Beta movies.

Hello!

Just like VCD or VHS, this would be a huge task and since the tapes could be recorded, the market for pirate/bootleg releases can be daunting.

I try to keep the database for discs at the exception of D-VHS, I'm quite sure the collector's market for Betamax is also quite small.

I'd rather focus on LaserDiscs whenever possible.

Julien

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 11:07 
Second post
Second post

admin wrote:
niceguy1283 wrote:

Hello!

Just like VCD or VHS, this would be a huge task and since the tapes could be recorded, the market for pirate/bootleg releases can be daunting.

I try to keep the database for discs at the exception of D-VHS, I'm quite sure the collector's market for Betamax is also quite small.

Julien

I know and I love this website - as I have been getting into a lot of Laserdisc and even have some HD-DVD. But maybe someday - I know he market isn't great but I love all things retro.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 16:12 
True fan
True fan

What about pre-recorded SVHS, Julien?

Very few were made and there are very few collectors, but it would be nice to have them memorialized in the database. The number is extremely small. I believe less than 20 pre-recorded Hollywood movies were sold on SVHS.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Honestly, out of all the old commercial tape formats I'd even consider adding to the database, Video 2000 might probably be the only one. It was short-lived enough and only sold in Europe, leading to what I would imagine is a very small number of retail releases.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2020, 19:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

First, this site is not devoted to all dead media. It’s the Laserdisc Database. It has some other formats, things that are like LD like CED and VHD...things with D in them usually.

Also, it took a lot of work to make this site. A decade at least. It’s more accurate than most database sites and it never goes down. It was done for free. Money was spent, sleep was lost. You have two posts.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 03:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:

Julien

BETA oddities such as this can be fun to collect, though;

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 03:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

"An enchanting tale where toys come to life and talk"? What a unique premise, I'm sure Disney never did anything like that again. :mrgreen:

Also I'm with you tasuke, oddities are the most fun to collect. I have one of those big old clamshell Disney VHS tapes I picked up someplace and never got around to watching, I forget the title, "A Day in the Magic Kingdom" I think.

Also I just realized I resurrected a three year old thread, sorry zeta :oops:

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 13:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Beta tapes rarely turn up at work but if they do they're usually in very good cosmetic condition overall (unlike 90% of VHS tapes).
I think the last few Beta's sold for around $20 each but I can't recall the titles.

Most VHS tapes are gutted for the cases (if they're clear hard type), the ladies use them for storing small items out back.
The actual tapes and cover slips get binned. Although the odd clam shell in really good condition will be sold complete (Disney etc).

takeshi666 wrote:
Also I just realized I resurrected a three year old thread

Image Disgraceful

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 15:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

HAHAHA I think it was due to the laserdisk spam posts that we had, made all of these topics living zombies again :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 15:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I was always astounded that people actually LIKE those crappy white poofy Disney Boxes.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2020, 18:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well, these older, early/mid-80's-era examples are a great deal sturdier and better designed overall
than the flimsy DISNEY-standard 1990's thin-vacuform clamshells everyone knows and despises...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 04:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
I was always astounded that people actually LIKE those crappy white poofy Disney Boxes.

At least over here, they're way more common on older tapes, and definitely not just Disney ones. The cardboard sleeves that are so common in the US in the other hand are way more uncommon, so I tend to associate those poofy clamshell cases with old releases in general. Personally, I just like the way they feel to handle.

Also I was supposed to bid on some tapes last night but I completely forgot. :x

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2020, 15:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tasuke wrote:
well, these older, early/mid-80's-era examples are a great deal sturdier and better designed overall
than the flimsy DISNEY-standard 1990's thin-vacuform clamshells everyone knows and despises...

That’s true. I used to work at a video store and we had nearly every Disney VHS release from the beginning. The best VHS case by a mile is the plastic clamshell Amaray case, sans pegs for the spools. The art and the tape are both protected by something MORE durable than they are, which is the point of a case. Sadly I’d estimate not even %10 of US releases are in these cases but most JP releases seem to have them. (I’m not a VHS collector). The cardboard sleeve looks nice but gets f-ed up as almost as easily as a record jacket. The vacuum formed stuff is just total crap. Much better for shipping than for ownership. The edges are sharp, little holes show up. Presumably they yellow also?

Btw, I still have $70,000 if anyone will sell me their Diamond Edition Beauty and the Beast. PM me!

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 23:47 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
First, this site is not devoted to all dead media. It’s the Laserdisc Database. It has some other formats, things that are like LD like CED and VHD...things with D in them usually.

Also, it took a lot of work to make this site. A decade at least. It’s more accurate than most database sites and it never goes down. It was done for free. Money was spent, sleep was lost. You have two posts.

Haha, lovely :-)

Out of all formats that could technically "deserv" to be added here, I think VMD (or HD VMD) would be the most logical. It had an extremly small period of existence, it used a red laser to read the data from the disc. There are a few rare collectors and very few titles available.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versatile_Multilayer_Disc

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 00:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

superemail wrote:
Out of all formats that could technically "deserv" to be added here, I think VMD (or HD VMD) would be the most logical.

Substance collects these. HD-VMD anyone heard of it?

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2020, 12:30 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I think Substance was looking for discs but probably gave up by now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]