It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jurassic Park Dolby Surround
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2015, 06:42 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/05723/41829/Jurassic-Park

I recently purchased a Singapore import of Jurassic Park (I know there was a bootleg in the 1990's, but I'm sure this is legit as it has the stamp markings from a the US plant on the inner circle of the disc plus copyright details and the US cover with a Singapore copyright sticker (Forward International PTE ).

My question is in regards to the Dolby Surround Stereo track (not the Dolby Digital or DTS). I'm currently decoding it in Pro Logic II and not getting anything from my rear speakers. Is this correct?

I have strong levels from my Front L & R and Centre but barely to no rear. I remember seeing a receiver amp from the early 90's with just a centre output and no rear.

Could this have been mixed for FL, FR, C?

Post subject: Re: Jurassic Park Dolby Surround
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 04:04 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I think I may have found my answer here:

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/ ... inal-Audio

Quote:
Other than that single change, the 5.1 mixes are exactly the same, which is WONDERFUL - the AC-3 LD's and DVD releases (both the DTS and AC-3 versions) all had mixes that had been altered from the theatrical mixes - the AC-3 Dolby Digital mixes on DVD had some of the LFE bass re-directed to the main channels (a Dolby recommendation) and the Right Rear channel had a broadband 90-degree phase shift applied to create a better Dolby Pro-Logic compatible downmix for those consumers who have to use the 2-channel outputs of their DVD player: the unfortunate side-effect is that side-wall imaging is destroyed, as is any imaging between the rear speakers since one channel is shifted by 90 degrees in phase (Dolby recommends the 90 degree phase shift always be used for best 5.1 to 2 channel downmixing except in cases of a phase-coherent mix - then a separate 2-channel mix should also be supplied on the disc, which is something that Paramount and Fox routinely do so that their 5.1 mixes are not altered for DVD.) The JP & LW surround mixes on LD and DVD were not as aggressive as the DTS-6 (APT-X100 encoded) theatrical mixes - certain sounds were missing entirely or buried so far down in the mix that you could barely hear them. Imaging seemed to suffer too, especially in scenes like Nedry's car with the rain on the roof - you can hear the rain above you, almost as clearly as if a speaker were placed on the ceiling, in the original DTS theatrical and LD mix and now on the Blu-ray. Nor did the alternate AC-3 LD and DVD mixes seem to have as aggressive dynamics and headroom as the DTS-6 theatrical/DTS LD mixes. The DTS LaserDisc of Jurassic Park was the very first DTS LD released and DTS used the same (+20db headroom Dolby SR 6-track 35mm Full-Coat Mag) master to encode the DTS LaserDisc as they used to make the theatrical DTS-6 CD-ROM discs.

So it's a case of the Dolby Surround Stereo mix on the LD not being very good. It certainly has the deep bass, but the mix is very front heavy. Nothing from the rears but bleed and faint hiss.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 23:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

do you have ANY surround speakers hooked up?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 03:20 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

elieb wrote:
do you have ANY surround speakers hooked up?

Yes. Tested them and they are working fine.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 17:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

As much as I like rarities on ld I do hope you got that specific disc for being an odd one :thumbup:
There's only one way to experience JP on ld and that would be in... We all can guess! Right?

A nice find anyway. Hope you figure it out :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2015, 00:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

As long as there the soundtrack is stereo the rear speakers should always work even if it is not Dolby Surround encoded.
That's why even when all the VHS tapes / LDs say the sound is Dolby Surround endoded I am always a bit sceptical about it.
There are some great Dolby Surround tracks and you can immediately hear they are genuinely encoded in Dolby Surround however with
many releases it is not that obvious in my opinion.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015, 04:50 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

paulisdead wrote:
I recently purchased a Singapore import of Jurassic Park ...

Would be interesting to know if the same master was used for this version. It's about several distortions, especially when it comes to Malcolm's voice, as stated here in further detail:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Preserving-DTS-LaserDisc-tracks-specifically-Jurassic-Park/post/736273/#TopicPost736273

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2015, 23:22 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I'm going to eat a big plate of humble pie here guys: after taking apart my system for the first time in a while, I found that it was an incorrect connection after all.

Replayed that same Jurassic Park Surround laserdisc and the rear speakers came CRASHING in.

Oops. :oops:

So a quick review on the sound of the Dobly Surround Jurassic Park LD: I can't believe how well LD decode into Pro Logic II and how discrete they sound. LD's are really solid for matrixing. It's a good dynamic mix. The music scores and roars of the T-Rex, will remind you of a time when surround sound was mixed for theatre geeks that like their movies LOUD!!! Like a lot of blockbuster films on LD, the surround channels are hyped more than you would find on a DVD/BluRay. The dialogue is clear and the bass is full bodied. Overall - if you can't decode the DTS disc, there's no reason why you shouldn't grab this one.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]