It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:51

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Film soundtrack low end (waterfalls with Spectrum Lab)
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2013, 15:24 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Waterfalls are way of seeing how low the soundtrack is playing whether its music or film soundtracks.

Program being used is free download called Spectrum Lab that's easy to use.
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

Downloads
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html#download

Waterfall of "SKYFALL" (2012) bluray dtsHDMA 5.1

Chapter 28 01:58:13 Silva approaches Bond's house or what's going to be left of it afterwards :lol:

Monitored on Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System (LCR mix) only as the rest of the channels haven't been wired up but I might get around to doing that later today so I can see what the surrounds and LFE.1 is doing, but for now LCR has a wicked bass and vibration jolt.

"Take the Bloody Shot"!

The low end part of the score at 38Hz vibrates the Irwin rocker seats with an elastic string feeling pulse that intensifies the scene. The rest of the stage channel bass from LCRS x2 JBL subs and the LFE.1 that is adding in extra low end, but with all balanced out along the Puck transducers makes for an exciting home THX cinema listening experience.

Impact of the gun-firing/score at the same time jolts the cinema seats.

Post subject: Re: Film soundtrack low end (waterfalls with Spectrum Lab)
PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 16:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

This is an ear buster! Not cool with tones that press on the ears that can result in tinnitus. Luck It was too high enough but it was still TOO DAMN LOUD!

If I ever see myself going to cinema to seeing this I would remember to take EARPLUGS!

The Spectrum Lab shows the last few seconds at 33Hz wasn't cool. It felt great with Puck but its headache offending film score mix that I can now sense after 8 minutes. :(

Man of Steel Official OST - Superman Theme by Hans Zimmer (HQ)

Since I stopped playing the score around 15:57 pm I feel a little unease a bit sick to the stomach.

The deep frequency response of this track from the LCRS sub bass and the Puck in the cinema seat. My ears and my a** is tingling from the high strong levels of deepness at "7" on the Dolby CP500.

I then re-play this again at lower fader of "4.5" damn it is still too high I feel pressure on my ears that is not cool at 33Hz EARPLUGS ARE NEEDED! :thumbdown: or needs sub bass turned down at the front.

Lets try again.

Fade "4" sub bass gain for the room set back a few notches on the MDX4600 with the same compression I had set up for the last two plays.

The feel in the Puck vibrates the seat bucket seat back and armrests and the overall loudness peaking near 85dbc is far comfortable now. sigh. Levels on Dolby CP500 is near to +10db.

Oh the last few seconds was a relief as that 33Hz offending tone wasn't as rough.

Okay that's enough Man Of Steel for me. I still prefer a John Williams score that is not as offensively too loud to listen too! Hans Zimmer, is just TOO DAMN LOUD!!! and that is saying it in the not nicest ways it was :thumbdown:. I hope cinemas don't have it loud where one or few would have to walk out on it. Or at least take some EARPLUGS with you to easy off the pressure.

Okay taking a forth listen with earplugs in! All I can hear is muffed typing on the keyboard.

Fader set at "5.5" I can hear the piano at the start which is at high level. I can feel the vibration in the seat and partly from the sub at the front with gain turned up a few notches and its not as unpleasant. SPL db +90dbc dbA near to 75dbA.

Okay that is really enough of this. Had it been a Justin Bieber song I would have dismissed it and not even given 0.5 second play.

Removed earplugs careful. I have trigged off some mild tinnitus, which I have had since 1975. I still have a headache that will easy off naturally or maybe 20/30 min catnap.

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 19:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Playing a few moments from R2 DVD "Arachnophobia" (1990) Dolby 4.1

The Puck and the sub bass extension that works with LCR the LFE.1 sub handled very little on this mix in fact very, very little the low end is mostly covered by the stage channels.

Lows pressing on my body all during the Trevor Jones score helicopter scene to climbing down the cliff to look for a new species.

When the photographer fines the spider web, huge deep bass that rumbles and presses effortlessly leaves me gasping for a drink.

The last part of the spectrum above is the hand pressing the stick into the ground was even felt.

The impact is close to what I felt at CIC/UCI High Wycombe 6 plex in THX during early, January 1990 thou the version I saw 35mm optical Dolby SR that pressed hard on my body.

The region 2 DVD will be speeded up a bit so the pitch of the lows will be a few cycle up from its original position. There is bluray release but the image looks soft and DNR. Also there is a Laserdisc pressing Arachnophobia (1990) [1080 AS]

The spiders first bite over the other spider being squashed, this spider has got some issues. :mrgreen:

When the guy goes into shock the score buzzes away though the whole seat and even had me, lifting my hands off the armrests at the same time, his hands flex! Creepy!

I wonder what it would be like if I had x4 Puck fitted into the each seat? Maybe a bit too risky? The seat might collapse? :lol:

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 19:59 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Feeling the performers dialouge (Benedict Cumberbatch) "KHANNNNNN" and Chris Pine feels cool. Its odd I didn't get this level at the cinema. It was rather toppy at most over the midrange and high HF horns on loud effects, still it was exciting.

Thou the clips on youtube are only Dolby Stereo matrix they still sound punchy and warm on the voices.

"Give me one reason why I should listen to you".
"I can give you 72 and they are on board your ship, they have been all along".

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - "I Allow It" Clip - International English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlAx6GZyPuQ

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 00:50 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

KHAN on the run for Spock though the streets of San Francisco. Khan slams though a glass door that was a noticeable solid slam.

Star Trek Into Darkness Movie CLIP - San Francisco Pursuit (2013) - Chris Pine Movie HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epl8KAqukqw

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 01:36 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Lots of rumbling vibration kick slam and depth rolling around even a red shirt that slams into the edge corridor. Ouch!

Star Trek Into Darkness Clip "Keep Going, Scotty" - Chris Pine, Simon Pegg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WNi7xoEH1k

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 01:52 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Wow I can understand more clearly on my Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System home cinema what was been spoken in the scene. At the Empire Leicester Square it was muddy dialouge with not enough decay time for the echo to relax, rather it just all overlapped onto each other making the film mix sound like "What huh did you understand what they said"?

The feel of the low end is way better in home THX home cinema.

Top end on horns is not as brittle and hash now.

Star Trek Into Darkness Movie CLIP - You Got This (2013) - Chris Pine Movie HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpItOL0ufyI

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2013, 21:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Thou some of may not be crazy about the MAN OF STEEL. I have given a pre testing of the all now front row seats fitted with PUCK. The unseated seats rattle on the last few seconds at 22Hz. :mrgreen:

The home cinema sounds as good as decent Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System cinema.

Not having much of listening fatigue issue as I did when playing a different video weeks ago... that resulted in earache for 1 hour. So far I have played this short clip "An Idea Of Hope" for 1 hour 30 mins over and over. Beat that! :mrgreen:

Man Of Steel - "An Ideal of Hope" | Trailer Music - Hans Zimmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDSDloAcxAM

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3 the last part at 22Hz near to the top is where the graph waterfall ends. The seats jolted. :lol: I can see what would happen if I had x6 fitted in the seat. It won't fall apart that takes a different type of impact/energy like dropping down hard onto the seat and possibly breaking it. But the feeling of the vibration is a bit alarming at times. Not bad value for, the Dayton PUCK. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 00:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have you run any of the Sensurround BD's through Spectrum Lab? And do you own the R2 DVD of Earhquake? I ask because its supposed to soud better and have a full surround mix as compared to the awful adVd and BD 5.1 mix - its funny, reviewers of the BD's think the 5.1 mix might have come from the 70mm mix when an article on mixing Earthquake clearly stated that that it was a 4-channel mix with the LC and RC channels carrying 100 HZ control tones for the Sensurround box - and Earthquake had mono dialog. No rumble was carried on any print - it was supplied by a Pseudorandom noise generator in every Sensurround box. So there is no difference between the 4-track 35mm mix and 70mm mix sound wise.

I have a DVD-Audio of the soundtrack to Earthquake in 4-channel discrete quad from an LP that was issued only in Japan - its the actual score used in the film and not the re recorded score on the US LP releas. The Sensurround track on it was taken directly from the rumble generator and is much deeper than the US release which was mastered from a tape recording of the rumble. JVC had a tough tie getting the rumble onto the quad LP. I have the quad release of Jaws soundtrack on DVd-A too, and like Earthquake, its the actual film score, not a rerecording.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 19:23 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
Have you run any of the Sensurround BD's through Spectrum Lab? And do you own the R2 DVD of Earhquake? I ask because its supposed to soud better and have a full surround mix as compared to the awful adVd and BD 5.1 mix - its funny, reviewers of the BD's think the 5.1 mix might have come from the 70mm mix when an article on mixing Earthquake clearly stated that that it was a 4-channel mix with the LC and RC channels carrying 100 HZ control tones for the Sensurround box - and Earthquake had mono dialog. No rumble was carried on any print - it was supplied by a Pseudorandom noise generator in every Sensurround box. So there is no difference between the 4-track 35mm mix and 70mm mix sound wise.

I have a DVD-Audio of the soundtrack to Earthquake in 4-channel discrete quad from an LP that was issued only in Japan - its the actual score used in the film and not the re recorded score on the US LP releas. The Sensurround track on it was taken directly from the rumble generator and is much deeper than the US release which was mastered from a tape recording of the rumble. JVC had a tough tie getting the rumble onto the quad LP. I have the quad release of Jaws soundtrack on DVd-A too, and like Earthquake, its the actual film score, not a rerecording.

disclord, you have a fuzzy memory. :mrgreen: (I only have the R2 and the Laserdisc).

The link is at the top of the page I urge that you download and run the tests yourself so that you can see for yourself and post your findings since I don't have the EARTHQUAKE bluray.

The program loads up fast and needs setting up that takes as long as you can to do it and then it runs quite smoothly easy to use.

Step-by-step set-up guide with pictures.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ ... guide.html

If you like to monitor each channel in turn then a simple audio mixer 6 8 or more channel inputs and use the single mono output since you can only recoded on the Spectrum Lab with single input line feed to the pc.

Attach an RCA Y lead to back of the AVR if it has pre-outputs if also used with separate amps? That way you won't have to keep unplugging the outputs all the feeds will go to the mixer.

If you want to sum the whole 6 or 8 channel of 5.1 or 7.1 or monitor each channel then switch off the line input to the mixer or if it has mute button for each line input hit Mute so you can monitor the channel of your choice.

I monitor all though the THX at press of button so I can see if the film has extended low range then I can take some precautions before damaging the loudspeakers, but with new films or new/old releases I tend to take precaution. The last film that was bought around the IMMORTALS (2011) on bluray I had to reduce the fader and some of crossover slopes as I had little or no time to rehearse it as a friend bought it around late in the evening. Lows on that extended well below 20Hz.

The shakers in the seats packed a lot of wallop. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2013, 22:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Looks like an exciting film with wild stunts/action/effects and sound moments. Monitored on THX SW mode.

The Lone Ranger Ultimate Outlaw Trailer (2013) Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer Movie HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqe-Ye9z-KA

Last few seconds of the trailer has content below 20Hz.

The train wreck scene best played in Dolby Stereo the sub bass extension reaches down below 20Hz.

The Lone Ranger (2013) - Train Wreck - Movie Clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECiLYJ_YNGI

"The Lone Ranger" train scene. Good use of footstep moment that is felt when the pair are running across the train carriages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6S_TEMBSuI

The train scene "end of the line" good use of the footsteps even thou from the position from where camera is and audience would be its impossible to feel footsteps at that distance. Its just something I notice and one would only feel ones own or someone else's footsteps if standing in the same space area on/around the train.

Still it makes the scene exciting only a bit more realistic attention to what can be should be felt>

If one walks around you'd feel you're own body impact of feet on the ground surface or if wooden flooring standing still would feel someone else's footsteps. Or if suspending in mid-air while moving along beside someone and your hand on their shoulder you'd feel the vibrations.

I get more advanced listening as each day goes by. :)

"Song"? I like it how some on youtube call classical music songs when there are no lyrics. Talk about tone deaf? :lol:

The Lone Ranger Theme Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUpDG680uew

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 15:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Watching some "DIE HARD" this afternoon on THX laserdisc AC-3.

Centre channel packs a kick when it needs too when "Uli" gets shot as he runs down the staircase to exit on the roof, McClane, stops him in his, tracks. Felt the seating vibrate.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 18:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Jet turbo engine blasts Castor Troy. I'm not sure what it would feel like having heat blasted in your face for a second before being lifted up and blown down the shaft before hitting metal fence and then landing on your a$$ has got to hurt.

The feel of in the seat presses into my back with a kinder of windy feel. There is no LFE.1 during the scene as its covered by LCRS.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2013, 04:58 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Playing the bolder ball test from "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at 4am.

The level on Laserdisc though the SW TEST on the THX seems about normal.

The LFE.1 or generally the levels of the whole playing though the Onkyo TX-SR8750 maybe a bit high as content doesn't run as high over 120Hz and I need to play a Dolby Test Laserdisc to get the levels within a few db of the Laserdisc. I only cailbarted the CP500 yesterday afternoon matching levels though the TEST processor and checking with microphone up close to each speaker while the gain on preamp was adjusted to not clip.

At present the level on the Onyko is at -5db and maybe need to be trimmed down -15db or less. I shall see later in the day, its too late to mess around calibrating, its 5am.

Also the LFE.1 has nothing really to do with SW on the Laserdisc as I should have monitored the level of the low end on the DVD on LCR Mix on the THX as those levels should be showing a near same close response.

The SW was faded down as to not wake the neighbours, but still the bass-mid across the Three-Screen rumbled loud only for a brief time during the test.

Okay did a basic test listening between the SELECT 7 Dolby CP500 and SELECT 6 Onkyo, and trimmed level down -9db on the Onyko. I still have to check later in the day with full band pink noise.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 04:14 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Playing "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Laserdisc again. The snakes that silver out the hole from behind the wall have low end that I can feel. I'm okay with them they don't bother me as as much as they bother Indiana Jones.

Note the white circle is where the low end of the snake effect is placed with a bit more above it, but feeling these silver slimly slippery buggers is rather cool effect. I would like more snake low end.

When score starts up and Indiana starts to climb up the sphinx dog, one of the snakes bites out at Marion, with snappy low end feel. This film, still simply Rules. :thumbup:

The Bull whip has snap to it when its wrapped around the jaw of the sphinx dog.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 22:23 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

With 10 Oscar nominations for GRAVITY and possibility for sound effects editing and best sound mixing visual effects might seem likely win?

The re-entry scene is on par with Apollo 13 maybe a little more exciting. The visual effects with sound makes it look creditable.

When Ryan Stone, 1:49 and at 53 more so 50Hz 2:03 shuddering, she struggles to reach forward for the release button to separate escape-pod from the remaining space station the shimmering shuddering vibration I can feel in my cinema seats between the 20 and 80 range as there is so many layers of tracks all playing at once wow. That G-force would slam you back into the seat afterwards coming down at 25,000MPH.

WOW I have got to get myself x6 more of these PUCKS I feel my hair vibration with single one per each of the x6 seats.

The playing in DOLBY STEREO matrix is thrilling enough to get my attention on the THX sound system.

Steven Price score is magnificent its got me pressed back into the seat with force of the score and the chiror voices and spiritual uplifting that chocks me up.

The computers straining themselves to stay on-line look close to be fried tweaking bleeping across the LCR. Tense scary scene.

As the pod gets closer to ground the ride has little bumpy jumps as its in the atmosphere and GRAVITY finally has it, with smooth splash down.

Wow wheww wee sigh relief as the chutes are deployed.

GRAVITY due for region A release on 25th February 2014. No UK release date confirmed so best guess is March?

3D for those fans and regular 2D for us fans that prefer 2D so a choice for everyone.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gravity-3D-Blu-ray/82748/

Gravity (2013) - Landing scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htyr9oN9Z68

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2014, 14:46 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Fire scene from GRAVITY (2013) the film has good low end extension below 20Hz.

Gravity - Space Station Fire Scene - HD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7LU_Q964qA

A new upload of the re-entry scene with a little less compression than the other version.

Gravity (2013) - Landing Scene [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68X0q1OKVps

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 03:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Could you do the waterfall/Low end for the following titles?

1) apollo 13--the launch (specifically, the 4 different low end rumbles from the boosters)
2) the fugitive--opening credits and train wreck (it's loud for me even when my avr is at 20/100db)
3) sooty growling. :lol:

thank you.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 06:08 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

No can't do The Fugitive as I no longer own the Laserdisc USA pressing, sold it years ago.

Growling? He only meows.

Apollo 13, I think I did waterfall of that years ago?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2014, 06:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserbite34 wrote:
No can't do The Fugitive as I no longer own the Laserdisc USA pressing, sold it years ago.

Growling? He only meows.

Apollo 13, I think I did waterfall of that years ago?

didn't know, thanks for telling me.
as for apollo 13, i found the dvd to be a little "soft"

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next