It is currently 02 May 2024, 14:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help not getting any AC-3 sound with my setup
PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 04:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Sorry for the newbie questions, I finally got an AC-3 RF demodulator and wanted to listen to some AC-3 on my laserdiscs. Here's my setup

LD-S2 with AC-3 modification by Kurtis
Nakamichi DE-1 AC-3 RF Demodulator
attach coax cable from LD RF AC-3 out to Nakamichi AC-3 RF input
Nakamichi AC-3 digital output (coax) to the AC-3 input (digital coax) of my
Technics SH-AC300 Dolby Digital Surround sound processor (output to 5.1 speaker setup)

Unfortunately, I don't hear any AC-3 sound with this setup. Any tips? I can use standard RCA style cables for these RF connections right?

I've verified that the Technics processor works with my DTS laserdiscs and the optical cable output. Bad AC-3 demodulator or ac3 mod on the LD side? Any way to verify an AC3 output signal?

Post subject: Re: Help not getting any AC-3 sound with my setup
PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 05:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

? first are you using an AC-3 disc.
you will only get the sound from that type of disc and you have to select the correct channel on the LD player.

IF your technics has an AC-3 already you don't need the namamichi since it will be a second unit of the same thing.

but IF your technics does not have AC-3 then you need to have the nakamichi connected like you have it.
you may have to select that input manualy on the technics??
my pioneer had 3 setting, auto, manual and off? i think.
or it may have been 2 setting, it's been 5 years since i had it.

but try that, see if there is a setting that you can pick and make sure the AC-3 disc is on the correct analog channel.

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 05:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Yes, I'm using an AC-3 laserdisc to test, True Lies (AC-3 version not DTS). I thought you don't need to select analog channel R, because the player automatically outputs an AC-3 RF signal through the AC-3 RF port (again my player was modified with this output)

The Technics has an AC-3 digital input, but my understanding was you need to feed the AC-3 RF signal through an AC-3 demodulator to and then pass the demodulated digital signal into the processor (because the AC-3 input on the processor is for AC-3 digital)

and yes, I made sure I'm on the correct input on the processor (AC-3 digital input 2)

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 05:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i don't know about modified players, mine has AC-3 already and was not added, it's been some time since i had AC-3
setup in my system but i would select the analog channel just to be safe, it might be an issue?????? i don't know.

also when i used my AC-3 demodulator to the pioneer receiver i used the RCA cable only, but it didn't have an AC-3 IN just Digital audio IN i think.

so if your techincs has AC-3 Digital i would try that without the nakamichi first, it just takes some time to figure it out with your gear.

it took me years to finally set mine up right.

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 17:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

abc_kid wrote:
Sorry for the newbie questions, I finally got an AC-3 RF demodulator and wanted to listen to some AC-3 on my laserdiscs. Here's my setup

Technics SH-AC300 Dolby Digital Surround sound processor (output to 5.1 speaker setup)

Unfortunately, I don't hear any AC-3 sound with this setup. Any tips? I can use standard RCA style cables for these RF connections right?

What is your "5.1 speaker setup"?

Quote:
I've verified that the Technics processor works with my DTS laserdiscs and the optical cable output.

That doesn't make any sense to me since the Technics SH-AC300 doesn't support DTS and has no digital pass through.

Quote:
Bad AC-3 demodulator or ac3 mod on the LD side? Any way to verify an AC3 output signal?

Most demodulators have a light that comes on only when there is an AC-3 sync, unfortunately yours doesn't. Without that feature I don't know of any way to verify.

Hook a DVD player up to the Technics SH-AC300. Does that produce sound?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 17 May 2013, 18:18 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

signofzeta wrote:
abc_kid wrote:

What is your "5.1 speaker setup"?

Front R,L, Rear, RL, Center, Sub

Quote:
I've verified that the Technics processor works with my DTS laserdiscs and the optical cable output.

That doesn't make any sense to me since the Technics SH-AC300 doesn't support DTS and has no digital pass through.

You're right, I meant I verified that I can get sound via the optical input, on regular laserdisc.

Quote:
Bad AC-3 demodulator or ac3 mod on the LD side? Any way to verify an AC3 output signal?

Most demodulators have a light that comes on only when there is an AC-3 sync, unfortunately yours doesn't. Without that feature I don't know of any way to verify.

Hook a DVD player up to the Technics SH-AC300. Does that produce sound?

Yeah, basically I think either my demodulator doesn't work on the AC-3 mod on the laserdisc has been damaged (which seems on since Kurtis does great work) I'm leaning towards the demodulator.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 01:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If the DVD player works then its an issue with the player or the demod. I would say its slightly more likely that the demod was bad but there is no way to tell unless you try another player or demod.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 05:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

how many ac-3 discs do you have? could a rotted dadc pressing affect the ac-3 sync lock?

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 15:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

elieb wrote:
how many ac-3 discs do you have? could a rotted dadc pressing affect the ac-3 sync lock?

no

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 16:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It could be the level of the AC-3 RF output - my EAD TheaterVision player, which is basically a Pioneer CLD-99, has a lower RF level than my MSB LS-1 AC-3 Prototype and Panasonic LX-900 that Duncan modified. My B&K AC-3 demodulator doesn't like the lower level and when playing an AC-3 disc on the EAD TheaterVision, I often get lots of AC-3 audio drop outs. The first AC-3 demodulator from Lexicon, made by MSB, had a switch for different AC-3 RF levels from different companies players.

My Sony SDP-EP9ES has no problems with any of my players AC-3 RF output, nor does my Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 16:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me since the Technics SH-AC300 doesn't support DTS and has no digital pass through

Not natively, but large numbers of the Technics SH-AC300 were modified by MSB to add DTS decoding and digital pass through - which, incidentally, used the same board as the Millennium 2.4.6. DTS decoder which MSB also designed and made. The Marantz stand alone AC-3 decoder was also a unit that many users had MSB add DTS to.

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 17:26 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the laserdisc player or the demodulator. I'm probably going to end up buying a Yamaha DDP-1 (I just love the look of the system). Hopefully the Yamaha is pretty forgiving with possible low level AC-3 RF signals?

PostPosted: 18 May 2013, 18:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

abc_kid wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the laserdisc player or the demodulator. I'm probably going to end up buying a Yamaha DDP-1 (I just love the look of the system). Hopefully the Yamaha is pretty forgiving with possible low level AC-3 RF signals?

If you do turn out to have a problem with low level AC-3 RF signal, the Sony SDP-EP9ES is a superb decoder, even with low level RF signals, and offers direct pass through of DTS/PCM signals - if you use the 6 channel analog outs you can take advantage of its incredible Pro-Logic decoder which was also used in Sony's theatrical SDDS processor, and its signal processing modes which which really work well - I've never heard better, not even from Sony's other equipment. It also has analog pass through of 6 channel analog signals so it doesn't take up your 6 channel inputs on your receiver.

Also, the Lexicon I mentioned lets you adjust it for various player RF levels and MSB's engineering of it is superb.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]