It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Audio Soundtrack Questions (Analog Left & Right)
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 14:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I actually don't have a remote for this... the player didn't come with one when I bought it and I haven't had a chance to buy a replacement yet. I've just been using the buttons on the front to control things. Is the lack of remote limiting how many audio channels I can switch to?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 14:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'll try to explain this for you.

A Laserdisc can contain up to four audio channels - two digital and two analog (though a PAL disc cannot hold both). In this case, both of the digital channels are used for a Japanese stereo track, or Dolby Surround. So when you're getting stereo sound, you're listening to both of channels. Thing is that once you've switched over to analog sound and still get stereo, you should get the English dub out of your right speaker. With most (probably all?) LD players, you can switch between the channels in other to output a specific one alone on your RCA output. This way you can get one of the tracks on filtered out during playback and in this case you wouldn't get disturbed by the left track which is the original Japanese soundtrack.

So what I'm starting to think is that if the player has two sets of RCA outputs (two outputs for L and two for R), you may have connected both of the RCA cables to the L outputs? If so this would all make sense. But I don't really know, I'm just guessing here.

I also see that your player has a 4,5mm output for phonos on the front. Have you tried it?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2015, 05:53 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I finally had a chance to work on this, and I was able to get it to work! I had to plug the audio jacks into the #2 L/R inputs and press the Audio Mode button to switch from digital to analog. Apparently #1 is analog left and #2 is analog right. The player defaults to Digital on startup and has to be switched to Analog, regardless of what output method is actually being used... *sigh* I guess what'll make things easier is if I got Y splitters for the audio so I won't have to keep switching things around in the back when I want to switch audio channels...

Anyway, I have it working now. Thanks for all your help!

edit: I tested a bit more, and it seems like the player can only switch between digital and only one analog channel. I'd have to choose between the left or right analog channel when connecting the cables. I guess it really doesn't work if both sets of audio outputs are connected at the same time.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 05:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There are usually two buttons to control audio: one to switch between analog and digital, and a second to select Left, Right or Stereo output.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2