It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:20

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What happened to Dolby True HD?
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 18:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It appears more and more abscent with new releases?
What's up with that?
I love dts :thumbup: but was fairly impressed with the True Hd soundtrack Star Trek into Darkness. It sounds :thumbup: :thumbup:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Post subject: Re: What happened to Dolby True HD?
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2013, 19:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Lossless codecs dts vs dolby is irrelevant.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 04:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

i also prefer dts (old school dts, even the reduced bit on dvd) over dolby.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 17:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The thing is, aren't there any studios left asking for a Dolby True Hd Release instead of dts hd?
It looks like Dolby lost a battle...?
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 19:43 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

kris wrote:
The thing is, aren't there any studios left asking for a Dolby True Hd Release instead of dts hd?
It looks like Dolby lost a battle...?

Maybe when Atmos is released into the consumer market it would take back control of the market.

They can call it Dolby TrueHD Atmos 125 channel not that 125 is needed for the home it can be customized. As long as you have smaller speakers for the surrounds and have them spread spaced along the back wall side walls and ceiling so it pan-though all the individual surrounds and five screen as well oh and the extra two sub bass for the surrounds.

What do you reckon on the odds of GRAVITY getting dtshdma 7.1 60% or DOLBY TrueHD 7.1 40%? Will see when its released next year on bluray.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 20:57 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Atmos in my setup 8-)
My ceiling (and wife) won't like it :lol:
I can't wait to hear Gravity on BR disc.

Curse those engineers :eh:
Always inventing the next best format ;)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 21:28 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

kris wrote:
Atmos in my setup 8-)
My ceiling (and wife) won't like it :lol:
I can't wait to hear Gravity on BR disc.

Curse those engineers :eh:
Always inventing the next best format ;)

You fit the same speakers surrounds in the walls and in the ceiling flush mounted so they don't look intimidating. I don't mind seeing x12 surrounds around my room.

So if your walls are plasterboard drywall it would be an easy install if carefully planed.

I have seen some small dubbing rooms with Atmos and the floor to ceiling was about 1 foot more than my room which is shallow at 7' 8", but doable.

JBL Control 1 is a easy model to install in matter of minutes and comes with mounting brackets provided. When first released years ago, the brackets was optional and cost a fair bit. They have a fair good frequency response and handling power and if coupled with a sub for the surrounds would provide an enjoyable surround around the seating in the room. But that's my opinion. ;)

As for Dolby TrueHD only newest title I have still is STAR TREK INTO LOUDNESS. That film is mixed far too loud. Softer scenes with effects would have to be at near 0db and if you want to risk your hearing being damaged on some loud scenes that are close on to clipping. The dialouge mix on the film is lousy. I would sooner watch STAR TREK II THE WRATH OF KHAN or decently mixed MONO film like COMA (1978).

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 03:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Disney/Pixar Blu-rays use Dolby TrueHD since Brave. That film and Monsters University are both Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (48/24) on Blu.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dolby made a comeback in the consumer market since their new TrueHD encoding technology they implemented on the PS4 gives DTS a run for their money. Should more and more players use this technology, and Dolby pushed their studios to encode soundtracks in TrueHD for Blu, they might gain interest to non-believers and DTS loyalists.

I mean, Brave on PS4 just sounded orgasmatic.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2014, 03:14 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I would if I could invest in a medium to large theater and hopefully turn that into a Home one since I'd run out of space for new speakers and gear..

I've always thought Dolby and DTS shared the marketplace equally. Does THX really do anything or did anything when they used them on LD releases?

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 04:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thx was only a certification in the beginning. thx sealed titles ensured they maintained certain standards in video and audio quality. THX certified equipment also meant they could faithfully reproduce the video and/or audio. They added some minor processing in late 1990s to processors. A specially designed low pass filter to soften the front speakers. Also applied pseudo stereo effect to surround speakers if recording is mainly mono.

later in 2001 ep1 had "THX surround EX" a co-ed innovation with Dolby labs. This was the closest THX came close to being a codec. Later on THX game, car etc.. were implemented.

THX continues to certify Blu-ray discs but they are far and between. As usual all star wars and Indiana jones blu-rays are thx certified.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2014, 05:45 
I thought the True HD was associated with HD DVD. Maybe that's why its not seen very often now.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 04:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

veddermandan wrote:
I thought the True HD was associated with HD DVD. Maybe that's why its not seen very often now.

Perhaps you are thinking of Dolby Digital +? That was very much associated with HD-DVD.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2014, 07:37 
alien wrote:
veddermandan wrote:

Perhaps you are thinking of Dolby Digital +? That was very much associated with HD-DVD.

No i was right True HD was on HD DVDs. I remember that being one of the tag lines for selling the HD DVD - True HD pictue True HD sound.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33865210
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/xbox- ... 155573991/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/697036/indust ... st_8214978

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 09:53 
It seems to be studio dependent.DreamWorks animation tend to go with True HD more often than not so do Paramount.Fox have always gone with DTS to be honest i would have liked to have seen more LPCM tracks but it only seemed to be pushed by Sony in the early days of Bluray and now has disappeared.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 14:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Audiophiles in the early days argued that bitstreaming uncompressed audio like dolby truehd and dts hd ma has certain advantages over lpcm. 1- lpcm uses the clock in the player and transfered over hdmi causes jitter. Pioneer and denon came up woth their own propietery signal procesing where the avrs master clock is used instead for less jitter. 2- lpcm takes much room. With the same space used dolby and dts can achieve higher resolution. 3- bitstream audio is uncompressed and timed in the avr so less prone to jitter.

I want to say studios got out of it due to space. Some concert bds have both bitstream and lpcm tracks.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 15:02 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Another argument was that dolby truehd was a track on its own. The step down dolby digital track is seperately available as mandated by bd consortium.
Dts hd ma on the other hand has the core dts audio encoded in the signal. If one choses dts audio over dts hd ma, the player retracts the core dts track at 1.5mbps constant from the dts hd ma layer. Many argues that this comprimises the capabilities of the codec.

Also dolby truehd tracks have much lower nominal levels for a greater headroom. Compate dolby truehd to dts hd ma on the same disc (few exist) you will notice dolby plays lower volume but explosions etc are the same. This is to create much higher dynamics.

Dolby truehd was designed audio and videophiles in mind. Dts hd ma is more for common croud.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 16:52 
Yeah a big disadvantage of LPCM it had a fixed bit-rate i have the Jet Li film War which has a fixed bit-rate of 6.7megabits!.a lot of people choose Dts-Hd over True-Hd but the True-Hd soundtrack on Transformers Dark of the moon is amazing.Also films such as Spiderman 3 have an LPCM and True-HD track.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2014, 23:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Japanese BDs often have LPCM tracks, even nowadays.
Last new release with Dolby True HD I saw was also japanese:
Ghost in the Shell Arise border:2 - which has LPCM as secondary audio (but only in stereo).

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 18:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
Compate dolby truehd to dts hd ma on the same disc (few exist) you will notice dolby plays lower volume but explosions etc are the same. This is to create much higher dynamics.

I've noticed this even when comparing Dolby Digital to DTS. Although difference isn't extraordinary in that era, I prefer DTS.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2014, 19:26 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

nissling wrote:
substance wrote:
Compate dolby truehd to dts hd ma on the same disc (few exist) you will notice dolby plays lower volume but explosions etc are the same. This is to create much higher dynamics.

I've noticed this even when comparing Dolby Digital to DTS. Although difference isn't extraordinary in that era, I prefer DTS.

Dolby Digital used a featured called "dialog normalization". you will often see this in your decoder in negative values like "Diag Norm -4db". It means Dolby track will play 4db lower than the reference level of 85db. On an explosion where a peak of 105db is easily heard, this is a dynamic range 4db wider. You will notice on music tracks diag norm is usually set much lower around -7db. This way the lossy Dolby Digital can match dynamics of a PCM encoded CD.

Higher levels on DTS HD MA is due to DTS core tracks which is embedded. Since most tracks are encoded at 20bit or higher, dynamic ratio is no issue. DTS keeps nominal levels high so the embedded backwards compatible DTS core track can still sound decent. Dolby TrueHD has the backwards compatible dolby digital track separate. Its ground up designed for best performance.

I notice nowadays they include an extra dolby digital 2.0 track for late night viewing. What a waste!! Most decoders have dynamic volume option anyways.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next