It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:17

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Laserdisc DTS Audio VS Blue Ray Specific title comparisons
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 15:58 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I am trying to grasp, other than the completest factor, why DTS titles are still so expensive when one could, in general, buy the Blue Ray title for $15.00 or less. I enjoy the audio as much as the video of any movie. Unfortunately, right now,I have next to nill time to watch movies between work and kids/family obligations. so watching the same movies twice is completely out of the picture.

Is the DTS laserdisc worth another $10-15 or more dollars? I say no. (I got my copys of DTS Laserdiscs on the cheap in a collection) That's the question for this thread. Lets specifically compare blue ray vs Laserdisc DTS audio.

So, for those of you with the time, $$, and multiple copies of movies what is your audio experience between a specific title Blue ray (DTS or Dolby HD) vs DTS laserdisc. Are any DTS laserdisc titles superior?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by eric05gto on 24 Dec 2013, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc DTS Audio VS Blue Ray Specific title compariso
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2013, 18:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Generally bd will beat ld in every way. I have a high end setup built on mcintosh and martin logan gear. The fidelity on lossless audio is something you can easly hear. Dts lds and lds(ac-3) in general are louder. Some have cooked up rear effects.
Some lds are sourced from theatrical masters. And full bitrate dts is very close to lossless audio on most systems.

So if the mixing is more important to you, dts ld will sound the best. But high fidelity, better price, availability, somewhat soften up (not always) mix is fine then bd wins.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2013, 14:34 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Thanks for the reply! I just watched the Laserdisc DTS of the Wedding Singer. I was just really impressed with the sound quality. I have a Yamaha RX-V1, Klipsh front, and Bose 301's for surrounds.

Maybe it would be best to just review the DTS laserdisc movies in the review thread if the consensus is that BD meets or exceeds the Laserdisc DTS titles in audio quality.

Finding inexpensive DTS laserdiscs will still be fun in itself.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 12:15 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Well when it comes to APOLLO 13 I go for the THX Laserdisc (dts) its faster than bluray when backing up on the hottest part of the dts locks on, with Onyko instantly.

The bluray takes a few seconds due to naff searching back on the Sony BDP-S550 it advances back by 10 seconds or if I keep clicking it will advance back further or forwards but its so slow.

Plus the load up time is slower than snail. I can launch the THX Laerdisc faster than slow-ray. Oh once its decided to load up fine just make sure its not one those dodgy bluray if you press stop it won't resume straight away. I can paint a wall and watch it dry faster than bluray.

Okay now the disc has decided to play after 2 mins of loading time that I won't get back.

The chapters on the bluray is dreadful. :thumbdown: the THX Laserdisc wins for chapters. :thumbup:

Picture colour wise it looks a shade darker than the THX Laserdisc same with R2 DVD.

The framing is different with all the versions. Its Super35 so what do you expect.

The loudness of This is flight surgeon housesh!t is about the same with dts THX Laserdisc and the bluray on the SPL db metre and monitoring the RTA though the THX Sound System. There is really no big difference at all.

The analouge setting is so I can switch mode on the SDDS from digital discrete to analouge instantly without interruption.

If I wanted to watch the Laserdisc on the projector I can always use the up scale on AVR which looked good when setting it to 1080i it didn't look as rough before when it was set at lower resolution. Too many features on the Onkyo.

HD-DVD Dolby Digital Plus shows about -1db less of "This is flight surgeon housesh!t" . Well that's no surprise.

With region 2 DVD it has an audio fault on the nightmare scene with loss of centre channel that starts right at the start of chapter 6 and centre channel returns to normal right after the nightmare.

Also PAL 4% speed up it doesn't sound all that good as I'm so used to the normal frame rate seen the film 12 times at the cinema.

The SE edition hate the text that was removed from the picture frame and placed in black boarder below. The text was replaced with subtitle :wtf:

The HD-DVD text within the picture frame.

The bluray keeps the text within the picture frame.

The start up time with HD-DVD way faster than the bluray. But I hate that menu music.

The Dolby digital Plus

I'm only seeing about small -0.5db on Jacks scream THX Laserdisc dts

The Jack scream is about +0.5db higher on the bluray wow its not rocket science but I still prefer the THX dts Laserdisc. If we where all blindfolded I doubt we'd even guess there is 1db or 0.5db difference.

But get the SPL metre out and use the fader on the AVR to double check when playing the same scene over and over and over and over but I bet most would be bored stiff playing it over and over by the third time. I can do it for an hour. :)

So APOLLO 13 dts vs bluray dtsHDMA is hit and miss.
Picture framing hit and miss since its filmed in Super35
Colour I can easily turn down the colour for the bluray and make it look like they all need to go to blood-bank. :lol:

Sure the THX Laserdisc looks pale but a few gentle nudges of the colour boast up and everyone looks like, flight surgeon will give them a clean bill of health.

Ether way the launch is near deafening for a few brief moments until it cuts to CM command module.

"Get ready for a little jolt fellas." THX Laserdisc dts LCR front mix

"Get ready for a little jolt fellas." dtsHMDA LCR front mix

I couldn't be asked to do a waterfall of the LFE.1 its generally the same mix.

And an added bonus the TV ad from APOLLO 13. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 21:39 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The reason why DTS LDs go for mad money is because there are a lot of people out there that want to collect something to fill the hole in their heart and, due to a lack of tru3 passion for art, having no real preference or even awareness of deeper artistic qualities, they choose the DTS badge.

There are a small number of DTS titles. Most of them are affordable and the idea of collecting them all seems aprochable. They were all released in the US (save for one, I think) so the xenophobes don't have to deal with foreignness. They are nearly all mainstream Hollywood movies that are easy to understand so the dead souls that hoard them can actually enjoy watching the things, assuming they aren't collecting sealed copies only.

Basically, there is no good reason, but it's the best reason these sorts of collectors can come up with. They are a pitiable lot.

Objectively speaking, DTS LDs had a relevance that faded quite a bit when DTS DVDs started getting good, and disappeared completely when BR was launched. This is actually a longer period of relevance than most of the movies that were actually released as DTS LDs, regardless of what format they are presented it. I mean...Casper, Blues Brothers 2000, Dante's Peak, Flubber (1997), The Lost World, Waterworld, Vocano, Deep Rising...sheesh... The price of DTS completism is far too high. Not fiscally, but psychically. I simply can't pollute my movie collection with that junk.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 19:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think there would be no harm in respecting other people's vieuw of collectable :!:
It's so easy to say, I don't want it so it's rubbish :wtf:
When hunting for individuall dts titles you will be robbed!
Buy a collection and it all get's affordable

Let's all get along please :angel:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 19:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its not a matter of me respecting people who love Blues Brothers 2000...because absolutely nobody loves Blues Brothers 2000. It is a movie that is offensive to fans of the original, and completely forgotten by everyone else. The DTS LD is probably worth more than every other version of the movie combined, so it really is just the badge and DTS format and that is a pretty sad reason to collect something. Like people who only collect cars with Firestone brand tires. Its nonsense.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 19:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Here we go :P
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2013, 22:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hey, i like blues brothers 2000 :lolno:

that made me laugh, thanks :D :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 10:54 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

rein-o wrote:
hey, i like blues brothers 2000 :lolno:

that made me laugh, thanks :D :lol: :lol:

I can't stand 2000 and its not in my collection. Only the original THE BLUES BROTHERS. :)

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 17:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Not a Blues brother 2000 fan either here but it's a nice signature release anyway . would have made a great dts cover :shh: if they didn't cancel it.
I "learned" owning such discs would make a "collector" "pitiable" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by kris on 31 Dec 2013, 18:08, edited 2 times in total. _________________
CLD-D925
RFD-1
CLD-99 elite
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 17:53 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

eric05gto ,

The general rule would be trying to determine what you like...
Is a title worth anything in the end? I have my doubts.
There won't be a format that gets "priceless"
Sure there are some movies more scarce than others regardless of format.
I like vinyls. I don't collect them but treasure my fathers collection.
There are a few first beatles pressings that go "some money"
It won't ever be a huge amount.
Is 300-400 euro or USD worth selling ... You won't get any richer that way.
these days money isn't worth a damn thing IMHO
We need it , but we won't get richer selling some "supossedly rare" format.
A "van Gogh" is rare. a format won't ever be !
a dts disc? it's very cool looking and sounding but worth 5-10USD? Nope I'm afraid not
Not planning on selling any of mine , even when someone would pay me an astronomical amount for laserdiscs like 10000euro.
I think the best advice would be get yourself a nice title like Ronin dts, Casper dts or Titanic dts , from there you can hear and see if it's worth anything to you.
the Ronin shootout sounds superb, Casper and the shadow sound very surrounded 8-) , Titanic.... :problem: it sinks silently ;)
Those are technical wise very good. Casper and the shadow being very affordable and very top notch dts soundwise... Good movies? Nope, but that's a personal opinion. TO EACH HIS OWN I SAY
I like the fact they sound as good as they can on laserdisc.
Don't go buying dts discs at any price is my advice.
The longer you collect the more pops up; even almost for free :thumbup:
A blue ray sound cristal clear , a laserdisc sounds more nostalgic IMHO
Blu ray may have the specs, Laserdiscs have the look 8-) and don't forget it ever ;)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 03:17 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

The movies I enjoy will be fun to find as a DTS for little to no money. I got lucky and got Casper DTS for $5 on flea bay, but my 3 year old says its for big kids. After that priest scene with his spinning head, I believe she is right. I got back into lasers for my kids and family to enjoy.
Ronin would be sweet to check out... It's one of my favorites.
Thanks to all for your informative posts. Such a good forum here!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 15:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

One point that doesn't get mentioned much is the durability of LDs . Bds and DVDs don't like scratches of dirt, but abused LDs will STILL play.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 06:13 
True fan
True fan

I know, not as impressive as laserbite34 but I did do my own half-assed totally subjective comparison between these versions of Apollo 13. Once again, because I am such a lemming, I found a copy of Apollo 13 with a DTS option for the sound track. I then played the "Lift Off" chapter in each of the versions and I must say that to me on my system the DTS is better than the DolbyDigital Plus on the HD DVD. Defintely more kick in the low end, not huge but enough to notice. The picture is a no-brainer, the HD DVD wins hands down. YMMV

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 07:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

bguzman wrote:

I know, not as impressive as laserbite34 but I did do my own half-assed totally subjective comparison between these versions of Apollo 13. Once again, because I am such a lemming, I found a copy of Apollo 13 with a DTS option for the sound track. I then played the "Lift Off" chapter in each of the versions and I must say that to me on my system the DTS is better than the DolbyDigital Plus on the HD DVD. Defintely more kick in the low end, not huge but enough to notice. The picture is a no-brainer, the HD DVD wins hands down. YMMV

I agree, own the same versions of this movie (laserdisc with dts track)
The dts release is superior soundwise :thumbup:
PQ on the hddvd is better, but that not rocket science anyway :lol:
The hddvd soundtrack sounds less agressive. If one heard the dts track on ld there is no way back :thumbup: Dolby digital plus : Houston, we have a problem :lol:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 14:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

North American Blu-ray has lossless audio. I believe HD-DVD is Dolby Digital Plus only.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18 
True fan
True fan

substance wrote:
North American Blu-ray has lossless audio. I believe HD-DVD is Dolby Digital Plus only.

Yes that is the case but I was under the impression that the HD-DVD has a better picture than the BD. Is that the case?

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 20:43 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Its a universal title. Hddvd version came out years before universal ported it to Blu-ray. It was a common practice for universal to dnr the hell out of the film before porting to BD. All BDs got lossless audio upgrade where the HD version was lossy but high quality DD+.

Few titles escaped from dnr, ee process. I dont know if Apollo 13 is one of them. Dnr and ee doesnt hurt newer and high budget films as much as there is not much to dnr and the print is already sharp for ee. Low budget and/or older films like the thing, spartacus literally got butchered.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2014, 02:38 
True fan
True fan

I LOVE the DTS track on the LD for THE SHADOW. Haven't yet gotten to compare it to the DTS DVD and new Blu-rays of which there are two different transfers.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next