It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:16

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: CLD406 Optical Out...what comes out of the pipe?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2014, 18:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Hello World,

Quick question regarding proper settings...I run a TOSlink Optical cable from my CLD-406 to my Onkyo TX-SR705 amp.

Now, on the CLD-406 remote I have an AUDIO button that, when depressed, cycles through Analog 1/L, Analog 2/R, Analog Stereo, Digital 1/L, Digital 2/R, and Digital Stereo

90% of my collection is simple Analog CX or Digital Sound PCM. Some are AC3. No DTS titles yet.

My main concern and question is do I need to manually make sure to choose Digital Stereo for each disc or side? Is this the automatic default for the Optical connection on this player? I hear slight differences when switching but never really spend much time outside of the Digital Stereo Option. I guess this is a way to choose between different languages or commentary tracks mainly.

Related to that I'd like to know if the analog audio is pssed through to the digital out put or not. I seem to remember this not being the case.

I understand that DTS will be DTS bitstream and that's all fine and good.

Any clarity would be great and I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum before. I did look...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: CLD406 Optical Out...what comes out of the pipe?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2014, 19:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sonicboom wrote:
Hello World,

Quick question regarding proper settings...I run a TOSlink Optical cable from my CLD-406 to my Onkyo TX-SR705 amp.

Now, on the CLD-406 remote I have an AUDIO button that, when depressed, cycles through Analog 1/L, Analog 2/R, Analog Stereo, Digital 1/L, Digital 2/R, and Digital Stereo

90% of my collection is simple Analog CX or Digital Sound PCM. Some are AC3. No DTS titles yet.

My main concern and question is do I need to manually make sure to choose Digital Stereo for each disc or side? Is this the automatic default for the Optical connection on this player? I hear slight differences when switching but never really spend much time outside of the Digital Stereo Option. I guess this is a way to choose between different languages or commentary tracks mainly.

Related to that I'd like to know if the analog audio is pssed through to the digital out put or not. I seem to remember this not being the case.

I understand that DTS will be DTS bitstream and that's all fine and good.

Any clarity would be great and I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum before. I did look...

Thanks!

I have a CLD-D406 and I leave the audio at digital stereo which works for the vast majority of my collection. Power cycling of the player does not affect the output chosen.
The analog audio is not passed to the digital out. If you attempt to play an analog only LD (i.e. no digital soundtrack), you will not get any sound out of the digital jack.

The AC3 and the digital output of my D406 are sent into a Sony SDP-E800 and I select the audio using the E800 controls.

The digital 1 input on the E800 has AC3, digital optical audio, and digital coax audio inputs. I am considering installing an A/D converter that I have on the line level jacks of the D406 and sending the PCM signal into the digital coax jack on the E800. In this way, I can play any LD no matter how the sound is encoded. This is a very low priority job as the number of LD's that I have with analog only sound are almost zilch. The only one that comes to mind is an 8" David Bowie LD that I never play. I have another copy of the same LD with digital sound which I play.

Hope this helps.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2014, 20:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The TOSLINK will always put out whatever is on the Digital tracks of the LD. PCM stereo for LDs with Digital Sound, DTS from the few discs that have it. It will not put out anything from LDs with only analog sound.

The "audio" button only changes what comes out of the line outputs. The default for Pioneers is Digital Stereo. To hear analog sound you'll have to switch the the Analog output on the player and the receiver BOTH.

For AC3 you'll need a demodulator and yet another input on your receiver. An average hardcore LD guy donates three inputs on his receiver to LDs.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2014, 12:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Thanks guys that helps. So basically if I'm hearing sound from the Optical out it must be the Digital Sound PCM stream. I guess my only concern then is that when I power cycle it stays in Digital Stereo and I'm not listening to Digital 1/L for some silly reason.

I have the analog hooked up as well for those rare instances that I need it.

All good. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]