It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:22

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Home Theater for Dummies
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 18:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hey all,

I have been collecting for about two years now. I now have somewhere in the ballpark of 40 titles. I have 2 players, (CLD-S201, CLD-1070) both entry level units I know. I would like to upgrade to an elite unit at some point, but I digress. In any event, I'm looking to jump in to some home theater units for my player. I would most likely be hooking up anything I buy to a 1070. Where do I start? Can I get dolby 5.1 output from this unit. Looking to spend some coin, but I don't exactly want to burn my whole paycheck. I'm just looking for some pointers and maybe what to buy to get me started. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Home Theater for Dummies
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 19:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Good start.

Lets start with what you have now then we will build around it. Whats your display? Do you have any audio gear already or starting from scratch?

Any other tech you plan to have or already have? Bluray?

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 19:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My audio equipment is definitely dated. I have a Technics receiver that I was using for my records and 6CD changer, but that will most likely need to be the first thing to upgrade. I have a PS4 and an Xbox one currently hooked up, which I use for DVD and Blu Ray as well. Everything is hooked into a 32 inch Samsung HDTV. As far as audio equipment goes though, I might as well start from scratch. I would like to be able to still get FM radio from the receiver as well as still spin my vinyl on whatever unit I was to buy.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 20:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

mechagregor wrote:
Hey all,

I have been collecting for about two years now. I now have somewhere in the ballpark of 40 titles. I have 2 players, (CLD-S201, CLD-1070) both entry level units I know. I would like to upgrade to an elite unit at some point, but I digress. In any event, I'm looking to jump in to some home theater units for my player. I would most likely be hooking up anything I buy to a 1070. Where do I start? Can I get dolby 5.1 output from this unit. Looking to spend some coin, but I don't exactly want to burn my whole paycheck. I'm just looking for some pointers and maybe what to buy to get me started. Thanks!

For Dolby 5.1, you will need an LD player with an AC-3 output jack labeled such on the back of the player. (I don't know if the 2 players you have have such an output). You would then need to connect the AC-3 output into an RF modulator. There are many different manufacturers. I have a Sony SDP-E800 which decodes the AC-3 signal into an optical signal. The signal then goes into an optical jack on your amp (usually) and the amp decodes the optical signal to produce the 5.1 sound. I say usually because I don't know if your amp can do the decoding. The SDP-E800 can decode the AC-3 signal to produce 5.1; but, you would need a second amp to achieve 5.1 sound. As you can see, there are lot of "I don't knows" as I am not familiar with your equipment.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2015, 20:43 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Just so you guys can see the rear of the player. There looks like some type of optical input/output just not sure what it is.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 01:59 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Those aren't optical outputs, you have basic two channel stereo.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2015, 02:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

some basics,

1-spend the most money on speakers. Good speakers can make a poor system sound really good. A good setup on poor speakers will sound mediocre at best. Therefore speakers are the most revealing part of the whole setup. Also the highest return for your money spent. Speakers are hardly outdated, if you buy a good set of speakers you can keep them for life.

2- an av receiver will be the heart of your system. Most modern av receivers process both sound and video. You can expect 3-5 years out of these before they get outdated and maximum 10 years before they are seriously outdated. Onkyo, pioneer, denon, marantz, yamaha are typical contenders. I personally like yamaha and marantz but give or take, within the same price bracket, they all are very similar to each other.

3- laserdiscs need three separate set of audio connectors to access all possible audio options. Analog rca (red white), digital coax or optical, rf output. Your players seem to have only analog rca. Some players have all 3 available. On the av receiver end, rf type is not available anymore. You will need a separate box called rf demodulator to convert rf into digital coax.

4- at this time there is a transition from 1080p to 4k. You may not be interested now buf if you want your investment future proof, you want to buy an av receiver which can pass 10 bit 4k signal.

5- if you can't afford 6 very good speakers, make sure you allocate most funds into front left right and center. Minimum of bookshelf speakers are recommended, stay away from small satellite speakers if you plan to play music.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 21:02 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

This is the path I took on a budget. Everyone has a different mindset about budget. To me it means high dollar tech that has been displaced by something new, but is still serviceble and great.

I was in the market for a new to me receiver a few years back. I also had just found an ac-3 output laser disc player, a cld-604. After seing most demodulators fetch in the neighborhood of $100, I thought why not get an older receiver that has an AC-3 demodulator built in?

After researching, I made the decision to purchace an Yamaha RX-V1. It us a beast at 65 pounds, 54 soundfields, AC-3 built in, very low total harmonic distortion, etc, etc, and the MSRP back in the day was $3000! Got mine off ebay, for $285 with the shipping after watching for a while.

So if you need a receiver anyway, look for one with the AC-3 input built in, and quality built in from the start. Having a never ending amount of parameters to adjust and fiddle around with is great fun too!

Just how important is HDMI 4k et. in a retro laserdisc system anyway? You can always just input your newest gear directly into the display as you upgrade the display.

As stated before, speakers are the key to a great system. First thing to upgrade in my opinion.
Also, the "Johnny Cash One piece at a Time" method of home theater gear has never backfired on me. Just be smart with your cash, do your research, and be patient.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 22:23 
Serious fan
Serious fan

That's pretty much what I did, I started out with a good wholesale set of speakers (Pioneer SP-BS21-LR's) and a basic bookshelf CD player with aux in. Then I finally picked up a nicer receiver at a thrift store.

You'd be surprised at the receivers (and speakers) that turn up in good thrift stores. LD players and discs will be more uncommon, and you'll probably have to be patient to get a receiver with AC-3 in, but stereo/AV equipment is super common where I'm at.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]