It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Ghost and the Darkness Original dts-CDs
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 12:16 
True fan
True fan

Hey guys, I never stumbled upon such a thing. I knew that back in the days the dts soundtrack was delivered through Cds, but I never saw some of them. it seems that here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/131254828616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT someone is selling these discs for TGATD. Coincidence, I watched this movie a few days ago (after some posting on the movie itself here in the Forum) and I wondered if there is a dts master.
My question is, what kind of equipment would someone need to transfer the dts soundtrack of these discs to harddisc, is that even possible? The standalone DVD has DD only...

Post subject: Re: The Ghost and the Darkness Original dts-CDs
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 12:28 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exinferis wrote:
Hey guys, I never stumbled upon such a thing. I knew that back in the days the dts soundtrack was delivered through Cds, but I never saw some of them. it seems that here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/131254828616?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT someone is selling these discs for TGATD.

They used to be sold constantly on eBay a few years back.
Maybe they dried up along the years.

You can't read them at home though. They are using timecode to sync with a projector and... of course unless you have a private projection room, it's hardly possible to do this at home without the movie codes sent to the multi-CD reader.

http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-43730.html

But it's nice to collect a few of them if they're your favorite movies.

Maybe they finally made it here?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/in-dtsc/

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 21:37 
True fan
True fan

Thanx for the info, it seems like an interesting subject, though theres no real solution in sight to use these discs. Anyone here in the forum using or having a pro dts-decoder? if I read it right, even then it would be hard to get the soundtrack playing without the movie itself. One could think that a simple program could "convert" these files, stored on these Discs to consumerfriendly dts.
IIRC dts back then was announced as the original umcompressed soundtrack. But since they used CDs, the data is much less than todays dts-hd. Where does all these dts-hd ma masters come from (especially from old movies) ?

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 02:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

admin wrote:
You can't read them at home though.

Luckily that is wrong. Not only those CDs are plain simple CD-ROMs and thus readable with every regular CD-drive, there has been a Winamp plugin for years in order to decode them to PCM.

admin wrote:
Maybe they finally made it here?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/in-dtsc/

What one wants is this plugin here.

Not only does it work with the great foobar player, but it also produces 5.1 "out of the box" by deriving the LFE "channel" from the surrounds for the sake of home cinema compatibility.

Allegedly, this plugin in opposite to the former Winamp plugin also supports the encrypted variant of APT-X100, but I haven't had the chance to test that myself - yet.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 08:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

little-endian wrote:
Luckily that is wrong. Not only those CDs are plain simple CD-ROMs and thus readable with every regular CD-drive, there has been a Winamp plugin for years in order to decode them to PCM.

Glad to be wrong :-)

Now you make me feel like getting one set to test it :mrgreen:

Julien

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 09:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Sometimes it's indeed good to be mistaken. I kept searching for quite some time as well and the best I found before were vague references to some old Winamp plugin while otherwise tons of confusion only because many people constantly mix up the coherent acoustics version and the ADPCM-style APT-X100 DTS.

So I was surprised to eventually find a working link through some forum.

As mentioned, the plugin is so good that it even processes the audio to output ready-to-be-played 5.1 sound.

So one can directly play the audio directly from the cinema DTS CDs.

Interestingly, the reel files overlap for a few seconds for synchronization, better keep that in mind when trying to get it to sync with any BD-video.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]