It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:49

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Close Encounters of the Third Kind:Criterion Special Edition
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 17:02 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I've got the triple gatefold edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Special Edition #125 (1980) [CC1241L] and I have a few questions about it.

According to the notes by DiscLord the first pressing featured many chapter errors, and the boxed reprint version fixed some of them but still had a few.

I've watched through this disc many times and I haven't noticed any chapter issues, though I don't think it's actually possible to watch either the full theatrical or full Special Editions using the programming, though all the footage from all the versions is included. Is this because of the chapter errors?

What changes were made to the boxed version and what was left unfixed?

Post subject: Re: Close Encounters of the Third Kind:Criterion Special Edi
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 17:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
I've got the triple gatefold edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Special Edition #125 (1980) [CC1241L] and I have a few questions about it.

According to the notes by DiscLord the first pressing featured many chapter errors, and the boxed reprint version fixed some of them but still had a few.

I've watched through this disc many times and I haven't noticed any chapter issues, though I don't think it's actually possible to watch either the full theatrical or full Special Editions using the programming, though all the footage from all the versions is included. Is this because of the chapter errors?

What changes were made to the boxed version and what was left unfixed?

I'll have to find my issue of The Perfect Vision that contains Criterion's exact notes on the mistakes. The original issue, which we both have, has major errors when programmed to play the Special Edition, and the reissue fixes most chapter errors but still has a few. And yes, the Special Edition on the first release cannot be watched correctly due to the chapter errors - the original edition that plays without programming IS correct. It's programming to watch the SP ED that the problems occur. The majority were fixed for the 2nd issue in the box, but some minor ones still remain. The errors were due to Criterion using a check tape with chapters listed and not an actual check disc pressing due to the cost of the check discs.

The Criterion release was the very first time that Close Encounters was released on any video format - all prior releases had been the special edition, which is very different and much inferior, IMO.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2012, 17:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Ok, thanks for the info. I think I can program my current copy to be about 99% the Special Edition, but the scene with Roy throwing plants through the windows and his wife leaving are all one scene so I can't reproduce the Special Edition of it, other than that I think it can be done though there are some mistakes on the program guide that comes with it.

As for the Theatrical version there are four changes on this disc that I know of, all shots altered or left out by Spielberg's request so it isn't truly the Theatrical Version:

*A shot of Roy driving is missing
*A shot has been altered to show a UFO following Roy's truck
*Roy looking out of the window at other families has been removed
*Roy, Ronnie and Larry escaping the helicopter has been removed

The removed shots are all still on the discs but after the Special Edition scenes and not chapter marked.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 19:35 
True fan
True fan

How is this done in the CLV version? I just watched this, and the SE scenes aren't at the end, plus the shot of Roy driving the truck through the tunnel is present. Is the CLV then the 1977 version?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2014, 23:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

sdraper wrote:
How is this done in the CLV version? I just watched this, and the SE scenes aren't at the end, plus the shot of Roy driving the truck through the tunnel is present. Is the CLV then the 1977 version?

Do you have this version? Close Encounters of the Third Kind #125A (1977) [CC1242L]
According to the notes provided by hiphats it...

Quote:
Contains the syndicated television version of the film (technically, it's the original 1977 version with 30 seconds deleted and replaced with a shot from the 1980 Special Edition).

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 00:38 
True fan
True fan

Yes. That makes sense, as what you wrote above is all there...except that I remember the shot above Roy's truck with the passing shadow of spacecraft going over. So it appears the CLV is the theatrical except for that one shot substitution.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 04:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

sdraper wrote:
Yes. That makes sense, as what you wrote above is all there...except that I remember the shot above Roy's truck with the passing shadow of spacecraft going over. So it appears the CLV is the theatrical except for that one shot substitution.

I finally got the corrected 2nd pressing CAV version that came in a box as well as the replacement box for the first pressing to replace the awful 3 panel jacket - it's made for the first pressing and even has the first edition. Notation on I ,,wool,k'. Now, after reading about the Criterion CLV edition, I'm going to have to find one for LaserVision Landmarks/my collection. There is always something more of various editions to find!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 09:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:
I finally got the corrected 2nd pressing CAV version that came in a box as well as the replacement box for the first pressing to replace the awful 3 panel jacket - it's made for the first pressing and even has the first edition. Notation on I ,,wool,k'. Now, after reading about the Criterion CLV edition, I'm going to have to find one for LaserVision Landmarks/my collection. There is always something more of various editions to find!

I'm still on the first pressing, the problems aren't big enough for me to want to upgrade. I might get the Collector's Edition some day though. I've never really understood the almost universal dislike for the first pressing's jacket though.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 15:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't own this but if the sleeve is anything like the sleeve on Killer, The: Special Edition #211 (1989) (Uncut) [CC1363L]
then yes, I would hate it, very hard to deal with, you need a table to lay the entire thing flat to then pull in the center to get that second disc.
also I if I want to watch it, which I just did a few nights ago, I have to remove the bag to get at the discs.
other gatefold or types of sleeves don't have this issue.

really would like a box better for the 125 that this cost new..........

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2014, 16:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I don't own this but if the sleeve is anything like the sleeve on Killer, The: Special Edition #211 (1989) (Uncut) [CC1363L]
then yes, I would hate it, very hard to deal with, you need a table to lay the entire thing flat to then pull in the center to get that second disc.
also I if I want to watch it, which I just did a few nights ago, I have to remove the bag to get at the discs.
other gatefold or types of sleeves don't have this issue.

really would like a box better for the 125 that this cost new..........

Yep, it's just like that. And are the sleeves all open at both ends? With the CC first jacket discs can slide out the other side as you are trying to remove one if you are not careful and have the jacket folded back op or laid out flat. It's just awful and ungainly - the box is so much nicer.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 05:19 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

How about some pictures of the two covers. Still I'd like to get the THX Dolby AC-3 pressing. I like the front cover look of the CC.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 09:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
How about some pictures of the two covers. Still I'd like to get the THX Dolby AC-3 pressing. I like the front cover look of the CC.

Here's some pictures I took of the triple gatefold cover when I was still updating the Laserdisc Wiki:
Outer:
Inner:
I like the extended artwork of the triple gatefold, the size doesn't bother me at all and I've never had any problems with the discs slipping. I've even encountered a few LPs with this style of packaging.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 15:35 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Afraid to say the picture links are inactive. Try again.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 15:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserbite34 wrote:
Afraid to say the picture links are inactive. Try again.

Hmm, not sure if it's a viewing rights issue or if the site is just down at the moment, either way I'll use a different host for now:
Outer:
Inner:

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 17:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

problem is that if you want to get to the second disc you have to open the entire sleeve every time.
regular double gatefold you don't have to open it every time, wish they came up with a better way for 3 discs, oh wait they did make boxes :LOL:

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 18:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hmm...I always remove the jacket from the baggy every time. That way I check out all the art and inserts and such every time I see the film. I have something with a trifold like this, maybe some classical discs, and I quite like it.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 00:00 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Now it is working and nice cover artwork. :)

rein-o wrote:
problem is that if you want to get to the second disc you have to open the entire sleeve every time.
regular double gatefold you don't have to open it every time, wish they came up with a better way for 3 discs, oh wait they did make boxes :LOL:

Or you remove all discs from and place them on surface near to the player and have discs ready for playing. Its strange I keep the second disc in sleeve cover ready for play, yet its simple to remove in matter of few seconds.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2014, 00:15 
True fan
True fan

Even if the 2nd disc would be hard to get out, you can't argue that the jacket still looks awesome.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2014, 15:18 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My Criterion "Bram Stoker's Dracula" has the triple gatefold sleeve as well. The sleeve is made of soft cardboard as well, which means it gets dinged and worn rather quickly. Criterion should have known better. No complaints on the discs or contents, just the yechhy sleeve.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2014, 03:32 
OT but I just rented this on DVD from the library and I think it was an early release, it was THX and had the THX Optimode test patterns which seemed to be geared more towards CRT than the THX Optimizer Ive seen on a bunch of Pixar and other DVDs before. I just thought it was cool. The main difference seemed to be the Contrast (White Level) pattern, which was just a solid one intensity white box in the middle of a black screen. The Optimizer has a box with 8 gradients of white in it.

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next