It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Criterion debuts on iTunes
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 03:12 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://veryaware.com/2011/11/cinephelia-on-itunes-the-criterion-collection-makes-its-quiet-debut/

The platinum standard in DVD and Blu-ray publishing companies, the Criterion Collection, has now entered the world of iTunes. On November 1, without any fanfare or announcement, Criterion showed up on the iTunes movie page. The company, established in 1984 with LaserDiscs and moving right on to Blu-ray, is renowned for offering world cinema’s greatest films in very pretty, rather expensive sets. Criterion was the first company to introduce audio commentary tracks with film historians and directors on their LaserDisc releases. Well known for their exclusive special features and pristine restorations, Criterion is still the Everest in the DVD and Blu-ray world, in terms of quality, despite the niche audience. In 2008, Criterion started investing their efforts into Blu-ray and have been on numerous top ten lists for best Blu-ray releases of their year. (more)

Post subject: Re: Criterion debuts on iTunes
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 03:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think half the fun of the Criterion stuff is having the item in hand. I would much rather have a copy of a movie on Laserdisc or Blu Ray when it comes to them then stream the stuff. I like having more control over what I am watching. Pretty cool for people that just want to watch though.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 10:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Typical Criterion, U.S. only.

Sort of relieved as I've just ordered myself a multi region blu ray player and copies of Solaris and Wings of Desire. It would have been just my luck if I could then just download them for $15 (around £10) a pop.

Even so, like mikeystoyz says, it's nice to have something physical in your hands rather than an ethereal download.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 14:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Why are they doing this when I spend good buying to have something nice and physical? I love my Criterions I have on LD, DVD and BD but I don't like downloads since I have had to lose some stuff before on different hard drives I am thinking of a BD burner so I can burn all my large files. I love my woman like I love my films real and tangible. :)

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 15:28 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

How are you going to get anything resembling acceptable audio/video quality, not to speak of the level of quality for which Criterion is known, through Web delivery? It makes precious little sense.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2011, 16:46 
True fan
True fan

Any way that allows more people to watch great films and appreciate them is a good idea to me.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 05:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

But would it be in the quality we are used to? Criterion has always been about how good it looks. This could be a sticking issue for a lot of people.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2011, 11:00 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

mikeystoyz wrote:
But would it be in the quality we are used to? Criterion has always been about how good it looks. This could be a sticking issue for a lot of people.

I guess it would all come down to the size of the download. Has anyone checked them out yet?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 18:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Sort of relieved as I've just ordered myself a multi region blu ray player and copies of Solaris and Wings of Desire.

When it comes to Criterion and Blu-Ray, it's the region A-lock that kills it for many viewers. However, a cheap and good choice would be to buy a Philips BDP-2500 or 3000 that is locked to region B and then look up a firmware that simply changes the region to A. I did this with our player and there's no doubt that it was worth it as we already have a Sony BDP-S350 that plays Region B-locked discs. :)

I don't see the point to buy a movie on iTunes, watching a movie on a computer or cellphone is about as far away from comfortable as it gets. I much rather watch the movies on Laserdisc, Dvd, Blu-Ray, Hd-Dvd or even Vhs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]