It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:44

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which version of The Magnificent Ambersons?
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 05:16 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi everyone,

Since Criterion released it three different times, which version of The Magnificent Ambersons is considered the best? Are all three separate transfers (I did notice that the first two editions are, according to the database, CAV, while the 1993 edition is CLV)? Since the 1993 edition only appears to have the Carringer commentary, are there any differences in supplements between the first two editions (which, as far as I can see in the database, seem the same in supplementary content, save perhaps the booklet mentioned for the first edition but not the second)?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Which version of The Magnificent Ambersons?
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 05:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I own this version Magnificent Ambersons, The: Special Edition #9 (1942) [CC1109L]

and had this version Magnificent Ambersons, The #9A (1942) [CC1324L]
but sold it once I picked up the CAV set.

as for picture quality I can't remember if there was that much of a difference.
I think that either CAV will be the same but will have a different sleeve.
try to pick up the early Silver sleeve, all of the criterion are harder to find, but not really worth more ;)

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2014, 23:24 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the feedback, Rein-o. I ended up snagging a copy of that edition just now.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015, 14:37 
I was so pleased to pick up Ambersons for $5, then sadly found out tonight its completely rotten. Glue practically spewing out the sides, the faces completely cloudy. It still plays, but with thick fuzz and distorted audio. Its listed in my profile, can't remember which copy, think its the earlier CAV with the gray cover.

Are there particular Criterion discs prone to rot? Was shocked to find one rotten.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 03:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

It is interesting you mention this. I own, from memory, four Crierion LDs at this point, and three of them have exhibited issues on the player I was borrowing a while back. The issues with Ambersons were extremely minor - there seemed to be just the faintest hint of either rot or some other read error (there was nothing visible on the LD itself) during, if memory serves, George's 'interrogation' of Mrs. Johnson for a moment or so, but nothing major at all. My copy of Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song, which was sealed when I bought it, had some sort of deterioration of the plastic outer layer on side two, which made it initially unreadable. I bought some plastic polish and was eventually able to buff it out...but most disturbing to me was side four of the two-disc edition of This Is Spinal Tap, which played fine all the way until the clip for Rock & Roll Nightmare, when it started skipping at the end and became unplayable. There were a few small scratches, which I tried buffing out, but it didn't help.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 22:50 
True fan
True fan

They are identical transfers, but the CLV reissue lacks the extras but IIRC is does have the commentary. It should also be less prone to rot. I got lucky on a local CL ad an got the silver CAV set and it only has a few speckles across the film.

I would like to find the CLV disc someday for the PCM mono track. The CAVs are both analog only.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 00:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had 2 copies of the silver CAV set, one is perfect and the other had some skipping issue which I believe was the player at the time.
but since I no longer have that skipping disc I can't say for sure.
the silver ones are the way to go.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]