It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:12

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: MY Criterion
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 13:42 
Has anyone seen that Criterion.com has added a new feature called MY criterion ? It's a section where you can add all of the Criterion Collection titles that you own and a wishlist. The sad part is that the Criterion LD titles are not included. On your page they put up a still from your favourite film, but it's pointless when your favourite film isn't there. I wanted to put down the Magnificent Ambersons, which you can, but without a picture. My backup dvd criterion collection would have been the Wrong Men & Notorious Women Hitchcock collection, but that isn`t an option either, although you can choose Eclipse Collections. I can`t think of a legal reason they wouldn`t include the stills nor the feature to add your laserdisc collection. I mean many dvds and even The Third Man on blu-ray has gone oop, but they still include them. I thought Criterion was all about the restoration and celebrating of film as a medium ...talk about forgetting your roots

I do plan to petition them about this unjust exclusion. I will update you all if I can and hope some may join the cause.

My other gripe is I don`t even know all of the criterion laserdiscs that exist. Is there a database somewhere you can easily look that info up ? It just seems that there are editions I am learning about all the time.

Post subject: Re: MY Criterion
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 13:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

film_no_r wrote:
My other gripe is I don`t even know all of the criterion laserdiscs that exist. Is there a database somewhere you can easily look that info up ? It just seems that there are editions I am learning about all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cr ... c_releases

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 14:11 
Serious fan
Serious fan

film_no_r wrote:
Has anyone seen that Criterion.com has added a new feature called MY criterion ? It's a section where you can add all of the Criterion Collection titles that you own and a wishlist. The sad part is that the Criterion LD titles are not included. On your page they put up a still from your favourite film, but it's pointless when your favourite film isn't there. I wanted to put down the Magnificent Ambersons, which you can, but without a picture. My backup dvd criterion collection would have been the Wrong Men & Notorious Women Hitchcock collection, but that isn`t an option either, although you can choose Eclipse Collections. I can`t think of a legal reason they wouldn`t include the stills nor the feature to add your laserdisc collection. I mean many dvds and even The Third Man on blu-ray has gone oop, but they still include them. I thought Criterion was all about the restoration and celebrating of film as a medium ...talk about forgetting your roots

I do plan to petition them about this unjust exclusion. I will update you all if I can and hope some may join the cause.

They were asking for help with missing Criterion Laserdisc covers for their database on Twitter a few months back. I'm assuming since they were only looking for photos of the covers, it would be so they could add Laserdisc to the options of My Criterion and have photos to go along with it. I don't know if they ever got all of the pictures they needed, so that may be a reason why - They don't want an incomplete list.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 14:48 
Thanks kaosnews & philburque46, it's good to know someone is trying. I do follow criterion on twitter, but never saw that particular tweet.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 16:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

film_no_r wrote:
Thanks kaosnews & philburque46, it's good to know someone is trying. I do follow criterion on twitter, but never saw that particular tweet.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 22:47 
Am I dreaming?
I am sure I was on the CC site in 2010/2011 and they were still showing most LDs for sale, with great documentation. Some were listed as OOP, the rest offered at retail. My computer crashed and I lost all the bookmarks etc.
Does anyone know -
Is that site archived anywhere?
The DVD site has relatively little backup documentation.
What happened to all the remaining stock of LDs?

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 08:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've heard that Criterion did list their Laserdiscs on their website. However, with help from web.archive, I can't seem to find anything related to Laserdisc on their archived website from 2008 or 2009, and their shop doesn't seem archived. I really dislike how they just ignore their old releases nowadays, even though they are OOP I've never thought it was a good idea to delete their Laserdiscs from their website.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2012, 21:45 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

nissling wrote:
I've heard that Criterion did list their Laserdiscs on their website. However, with help from web.archive, I can't seem to find anything related to Laserdisc on their archived website from 2008 or 2009, and their shop doesn't seem archived. I really dislike how they just ignore their old releases nowadays, even though they are OOP I've never thought it was a good idea to delete their Laserdiscs from their website.

^^
Send them an email, asking them what's on your mind.

I can only find listings linking to wiki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cr ... c_releases

Yeah your right its like they've wiped Laserdisc off the list! On word or mentioning of it. Shame on them.

http://www.criterion.com/help

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2012, 00:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finally found it.
http://web.archive.org/web/200811222226 ... sort=spine

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]