It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:45

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mint marks on Dr.Strangelove
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 20:39 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Does anyone know anything about the supposedly recalled publishings of Dr.Strangelove from criterion? I've recently acquired a copy with mint marks that don't match what's indicated in the database: "Made by 3M USA" on all four sides; numbered 29032A, 29031A, 29034B, and 29033A

Post subject: Re: Mint marks on Dr.Strangelove
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 04:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

These are the same Mint Marks. 3M has the 5 digit number to specify the program, and the letter is the "version". I suspect that since you have 29031A, 32A, 33A & 34B, you have the original edition. Does your copy have a script (on disc) by Terry Southern?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 05:17 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm not really sure what it is that I'm looking for to be honest, that's what I'm trying to figure out. It's the first copy of dr.strangelove that I've owned, so I don't know where the recalled one is supposed to differ.

Also I've got to figure out the best way to clean them up, finally put it in today & there's awful skip on sides 2 & 3... :cry:

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 11:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

aeris311 wrote:
Also I've got to figure out the best way to clean them up, finally put it in today & there's awful skip on sides 2 & 3... :cry:

If it is dirty but not scratched water & a soft cloth should do the job, mild soap liquid if "greasy" or sticky will do no harm.

Scratches usually need to be pretty bad to cause skipping but they can in most cases be polished out. If you type novus into the forum search box you should find lots of advice on disc cleaning.

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 16:06 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Thanks je280! I'll look for that when I get some time this week. When I gave the disc a good look over there were some mild scuffs around the edges but mostly spots of something on the plastic. I've got some felted tea towels for Chinese clay that should do the trick.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 23:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

OK... I've got it figured out.

Side 4 is the only difference. Chapter 26 on the original edition is "Examining an early draft of "Dr. Strangelove". On the later editions, chapter 26 is "Cast & Crew Filmography".

Mint Mark 29034B is the original pressing, 29034C and higher are the Filmography.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2015, 08:13 
Third post and above
Third post and above

blam1 wrote:
OK... I've got it figured out.

Side 4 is the only difference. Chapter 26 on the original edition is "Examining an early draft of "Dr. Strangelove". On the later editions, chapter 26 is "Cast & Crew Filmography".

Mint Mark 29034B is the original pressing, 29034C and higher are the Filmography.

Well then I have been graced by blind luck. I do have the unique one. I had been worried that my B might be the deal breaker because my sleeve is exactly the same as the sleeve pictured in the catalogue, and when I glanced over the script it didn't say anything about Terry Southern. It is a script by just Kubrick before Southern was involved.

Happily side 4 is clean and functional. Still need to come around to trying to clean & recover sides 2 & 3.

Thanks much for the information blam! :thumbup:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]