It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:57

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Criterion Bond CAV LD playability issues
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 09:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello everybody,

I have bought all the three Criterion Bond movies CAV laserdiscs releases for their collectible value, bonus features and the banned audio commentaries but I encountered playability issue with all but one disc !

Somewhere, generally but not systematically near the end of one disc, the sound begins to distort, the video accelerates or goes reversed and then freezes to one frame or stops.

I have tried to read the discs on to different players (Pioneer CLD-2950 and a pro deck Pioneer LD-V4300D) and, sadly, both players shows the same behavior at the same specific disc areas.

Does anyone have faced the same issue with this Criterion releases ?

I begin to fear the same problems would show on every Criterion CAV releases of the '90 or about, such as Ghosbusters, 2001, King Kong or Blade Runner.

Post subject: Re: Criterion Bond CAV LD playability issues
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 12:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

scytales wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have bought all the three Criterion Bond movies CAV laserdiscs releases for their collectible value, bonus features and the banned audio commentaries but I encountered playability issue with all but one disc !

Somewhere, generally but not systematically near the end of one disc, the sound begins to distort, the video accelerates or goes reversed and then freezes to one frame or stops.

I have tried to read the discs on to different players (Pioneer CLD-2950 and a pro deck Pioneer LD-V4300D) and, sadly, both players shows the same behavior at the same specific disc areas.

Does anyone have faced the same issue with this Criterion releases ?

I begin to fear the same problems would show on every Criterion CAV releases of the '90 or about, such as Ghosbusters, 2001, King Kong or Blade Runner.

Got these discs but not played them for a few years now.

For a few reasons they are interesting LD releases.

The transfers were not great & the source print quality did not help but the last time I had them spinning they played as expected (accepting the colour flash present on all the disc sides, some worse than others).

If I get the time soon I will give them a spin to see if they have deteriorated since their last play, will try them on a UK PAL/NTSC 925 & an NTSC 1010 .

Hopefully they will play okay but perhaps worth checking the other titles as suggested, I don't own many of the Criterion LDs so cannot check myself.

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 14:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had an issue with a CAV disc but then found out it was my player.
Could just be all of your players.
As I was once asked and we should all know this.
Did you try playing the side with the issue on the other side of the player.
For example if its side B then play that side first don't wait for the player to flip.

Its very possible the laser is getting weak.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 17:46 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If there is a problem with playback on Criterion stuff I've never experienced it or heard of it. I have about 45 Criterion LDs and maybe 8 of them are CAV including Forbidden Planet, Tokyo Olympiad, Spinal Tap, and A Night at the Opera were all watched in the last few years.

It's probably both of your players, as unlikely as that sounds, or the discs you have are defective. Were they all located separately or did you buy them all at once from the same guy?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 20:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello !

Thanks for your replies.

Well, as some of you have suggested above, it seems it's not the discs, for I manage to try them on another CLD-2950 and all the discs play well on this one.

I will have to have my players serviced, but where ? :(

Curiously, only this Criterion CAV Bond discs have cause obvious problems and revealed the defects of my players.

Great Criterion releases, by the way. I found the transfers decent (Dr No, FRWL) to good (Goldfinger) and the audio commentaries are interesting - they debunked some myths.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 09:16 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi scytales,

really glad to see your discs play well, sorry it appears your players have issues with some discs.

I enjoyed spinning these again, commentary track on.

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 00:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I think you'll find the very edge of the disc has got a warp. I call them ripple warps. If you spin the disc in question on your finger and watch the edge of the disc, I suspect you find ripple along the edge. Some players are better and correcting for this than others. Typically this comes from discs not being stored perfectly flat and vertical, so the bottom edge of the disc has extra weight on it and it bends ever so slightly.

I've fixed these in the past by making sure the disc is as flat as possible with the warp anywhere but the bottom of the jacket and then storing it tightly packed on a shelf for several months.

You'll also find this doesn't affect CLV discs in the same way. The player optics can compensate for these ripple warps because the rotational speed of CLV at the end of the side is 1/3 of what a CAV disc is.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2017, 08:00 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Thanks for the hint. I will check discs condition.

Anyhow, I also will try to check or have check the two of my three LD players which cannot cop these discs.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]