It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:35

Page 2 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you think about Criterion today?
PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i think in the begining criterion was a smaller company with less competition, so they could get the rights to films.

now i feel they are a medium sized company trying to fight with the big dogs, and those dogs are the ones who
own the rights already, and can get discs made in mexico or wherever.

they would have done better jobs on lots of stuff, but i'm not going to get a bluray unless that's the only option to play my DVDs in the future.

and i think that's some of why C is not getting the rights etc.
i wish they put out a box set of Godzilla not just the first one, and box sets of the other japanese monster / scifi films.

but then you have others who did that already and then it starts again, why should i buy this when i paid for it already, and now i have to buy 2 more copies and then i have to get BD and then the new format.........

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 15:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It's annoying when a series of titles is owned by different companies and you get different quality pressings within the same series. Hammer is a good example. Studio canal are now working on 30 of the films for restoration but certain titles I'd like to see they don't have. Shame but that's copyright for you.

Roger

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 21:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I find that "Criterion Laserdiscs" stand out from other LD's due their extra content. However, most blu-ray's today have extra content (or at least collector's edition's of the movies with tons of extra's) so the label "Criterion" doesn't mean to much to me when purchasing blu-ray's because they typically don't offer anything more than standard releases. I have yet to buy a blu-ray because it was a "criterion" disk. However, I do look out for "criterion laserdiscs" because they will most likely offer more than what the "standard laserdisc" offers. Basically, I seek out "criterion laserdiscs", but not "criterion blu-rays". I don't think that it's necessarily criterion dropping the ball, but rather everybody else catching up. If they want the "brand" to stand for something again they really have to start offering exclusive (and copious) extra content and audio commentaries (like they did back in the day).

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2012, 22:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd agree with invenio. Just imagine if Criterion would be the only company with audio commentary, that would be a trademark of them, much like some unique features in Photoshop. They do still try to make their editions somehow exclusive with booklets but their artwork is what kills it. Seriously, I hate their new artwork as it gets worse and worse for every release...

Although, I still think that their A/V-transfers are superb on both Dvd and Blu-Ray. That is what I usually think is the most exclusive to their editions. I saw their new transfer of A Night To Remember in the theatres and the presentation was outstanding in every possible way. Absolutely irresistible.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 12:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Ironically enough "A Night to Remember" was remastered by ITV studios so if you were only interested in the new restoration you could have bought the ITV studio UK releases for a fraction of the price of the Criterion USA release.

Roger Shore

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 12:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

As i said, I saw it in the restoration in the theatres at Cinemateket here in Stockholm so I don't own a copy of the film in any form. Although, I thought Criterion was responsible for the remaster.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 21:52 
Serious fan
Serious fan

No ITV studio did the restoration and Criterion make that clear in their notes.

Roger

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:24 
True fan
True fan

I only have one Criterion blu ray, "Blowout". I don't find it to be exceedingly better than some other companies. That is not a fair comparison though. I have also lost some interest in high def, it's more of a curiosity to me now. Most Criterion laserdiscs and dvds are real pleasing to the eye.

The artwork issue is a valid complaint. Why not use the original movie poster artwork for the covers? They have with a good number but many, "The Naked Prey", Blowout", for example, are a weak attempt at new creativity. Criterion pioneered inovation for home theatre and I would like to know what pioneering they are doing now in the tech world , if any?

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2012, 22:36 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have a few of the new Criterion blu-rays but none of their DVD's and still purchase their laserdiscs.
I find most of their new pressings to be excellent but wonder why they do seem to be priced higher than the competition.
The only blu-ray they did I was disappointed in was Kiss me Deadly. Much prefer the special edition laserdisc that was done. (Criterion had nothing to do with the special edition laserdisc).
Overall the HD format is seeing the sort of work we used to get with laserdisc. Now if only HD laserdisc could make a comeback...

Roger Shore

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2012, 23:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I currently have about 40 of the Criterion Dvd's, 15 of their Blu-Rays and 32 of their Laserdiscs. As already stated, they were much more uniqe in the old days. But not only that, today I think the Criterion collection pretty overrated. On Dvdbeaver, once a company has released a movie with a bad transfer they reject it right away. But when Criterion releases it with a slightly different transfer, they give it thumbs up all around. Just look at La Haine for instance, there are some different skin tones between the Studio Canal and Criterion, yet the first edition got thumbs down all around.

What even makes the whole thing worse is their competitors. I find Masters of cinema more appealing than Criterion now adays. They have small movies by big directors, and I feel much more enthusiasm for their editions as well. Even though the picture and audio quality isn't always as good as the Criterion, they sure got it right when it comes to the prices and movies. Their Mizoguchi-box set totally beats out everything that Criterion has to offer from the same director. More movies, almost as good audio and video quality and much cheaper as well.

I still buy Criterions, but mainly when I find them cheap. They're fun to have if you get them for free, but for the money they want, I rather stick to Artifical Eye and Eureka. Still, this is just my opinion.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 01:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Now they have announced Safety Last according to this post.
http://www.criterionforums.com/forums/i ... entry39344
If that picture will be their artwork, I feel sorry for them.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2013, 16:37 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

thats not the artwork. criterion posts a teaser image every now and then with clues to what will be released in the coming months.

I own every single blu-ray release by criterion(about 200 titles) and I love them. Big studios prefer to release their own movies themself. Criterions are not big enough to buy homevideo licensing of movies like the rock, armageddon, citizen kane. I dont dream of seeing a hollywood blockbuster released by criterion.

Some obsecure titles get a release from criterion and the bigger studio(universal or other) you can compare and see the difference
Brazil for example. Criterion has all cuts of the movie in highest encoding allowed by blu-ray specs with theatrical 2ch audio
universal has the us cut(inferior) with re-mixed 5.1 audio.
fear and loathing vegas is another one.

criterion mentiones the details of the transfer on each release. what master used, what encoding etc...

the releases with extras are $40 and releases with no extras are $30. a small studio with much fewer sales than warner, universal and like can not survive if they sell each titles for $7.99

all I can think of is they can pioneer anamorphic blu-rays but then others will copy them
now I know all of you will say BDs are already anamorphic but I mean movies with 21:9 ratio(2.35:1)

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2013, 07:10 
True fan
True fan

I own lots of Criterion DVDs but have slowed down on them and only pick up a select number of their Blu Rays now. I'm more of a Masters Of Cinema guy nowadays and pick up nearly everything they put out. Many of their editions are gorgeous like their steelbooks and releases like their Touch of Evil are phenomenal. Multiple cuts of the movie, commentaries and a big fat booklet.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:56 
nissling wrote:
I'm not sure about their 100th anniversary series, To kill a mockingbird looked quite waxy, and their edition of The Deer Hunter looks much worse than their Hd-Dvd. Oh well, I guess we're off topic right now. :P

I was not impressed with the mockingbird bluray whatsoever. I collect the digibooks, and that one wasn't cheap, even after waiting for a deal it was $26 bucks. That being said, the transfer well, I don't know if it's dnr or what, but it looks like the grain was blended or something. Is there a nice quality laserdisc?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 09:57 
In reply to OP, I still think Criterion is doing a great job with their transfers, extra features and such. The Eclipse Series is underrated/appreciated in my opinion. My main complaint with newer stuff is some of the re-modernized covers I'm not really feeling. It seems to not fit with the tone, anyone else agree?

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 15:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cefiro355 wrote:
In reply to OP, I still think Criterion is doing a great job with their transfers, extra features and such. The Eclipse Series is underrated/appreciated in my opinion. My main complaint with newer stuff is some of the re-modernized covers I'm not really feeling. It seems to not fit with the tone, anyone else agree?

Agree to the first statement, no one has ever bested Criterion on their overall presentation of a movie, even after all these years. I do disagree with the second statement, however, as Solaris, Modern Times, House, Kuroneko, etc. have some of the best covers in my BD collection.

To be fair, though, some of the new Criterion covers are pretty lazy i.e. Last Year at Marienbad and Harakiri.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 20:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i have bought a few more criterion DVDs since my last post here on this topic.
and i have to say i'm very upset about the paper boxes of the DVDs, for the money it's not like we need to worry
about recycling these, we are keeping these, cardboard sleeves are horrible.

also just received the Criterion of Repo Man, the picture quality is great BUT why even bother with an extras
disc if you are just going to toss it together, the extra film was crap, the picture quality was crap on it and
they don't even say on the box that it's from a beta master of the directors, there are some issues.

overall criterion should be at the top but they are now just a middle of the line DVD company just pumping out
as much as they can since they have no pull with companies like they did in the past.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 22:27 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I never had a problem with the DVD boxes before I traded mine in for BDs, but what I never liked were the digipacks Criterion used for their early BDs like Chungking Express. They don't hold their shape at all. :(

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 04:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hauntmedoitagain wrote:
I never had a problem with the DVD boxes before I traded mine in for BDs, but what I never liked were the digipacks Criterion used for their early BDs like Chungking Express. They don't hold their shape at all. :(

:problem: is that what i have, or what they are making now??
the two i have in cardboard are:
last year in marienbad and Repo Man.

now RM just came out this or last month, it's cardboard with the clear plastic like a digipak.
also in order to get disc 2 you have to remove disc 1 :eh: :evil: really bad design.

i have some early ones like the first issue of solaris and that's in a normal 2 sided black plastic case with insert.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 04:24 
Of course I don't dislike all of them, just some of them seem too "of the time", here's a few examples:

And then some I really like:

Again it's just my opinion, but some of them just seem too minimal, and don't match the tone of the film itself. And there's several that have just vectorized art with logo and such.

quote="hauntmedoitagain"]
cefiro355 wrote:

Agree to the first statement, no one has ever bested Criterion on their overall presentation of a movie, even after all these years. I do disagree with the second statement, however, as Solaris, Modern Times, House, Kuroneko, etc. have some of the best covers in my BD collection.

To be fair, though, some of the new Criterion covers are pretty lazy i.e. Last Year at Marienbad and Harakiri.[/quote]

Page 2 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next