It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:25

Page 3 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you think about Criterion today?
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 04:43 
hauntmedoitagain wrote:
I never had a problem with the DVD boxes before I traded mine in for BDs, but what I never liked were the digipacks Criterion used for their early BDs like Chungking Express. They don't hold their shape at all. :(

They indeed do not, I do like them but the spines *sigh*. I have Third Man, Chunking, Bottle Rocket and a few others this way.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 05:01 
Serious fan
Serious fan

cefiro355 wrote:
hauntmedoitagain wrote:
I never had a problem with the DVD boxes before I traded mine in for BDs, but what I never liked were the digipacks Criterion used for their early BDs like Chungking Express. They don't hold their shape at all. :(

They indeed do not, I do like them but the spines *sigh*. I have Third Man, Chunking, Bottle Rocket and a few others this way.

For $5 each, you can order official replacement cases. http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/82-blu-ray-replacement-case-bottle-rocket

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2013, 22:15 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rein-o wrote:
:problem: is that what i have, or what they are making now??
the two i have in cardboard are:
last year in marienbad and Repo Man.

now RM just came out this or last month, it's cardboard with the clear plastic like a digipak.
also in order to get disc 2 you have to remove disc 1 :eh: :evil: really bad design.

i have some early ones like the first issue of solaris and that's in a normal 2 sided black plastic case with insert.

I (also) have Last Year at Marienbad and Chungking Express, both of which have the packaging I was referring to. I didn't realize they had used it for Repo Man, I thought they phased it out when Criterion started using those nice, thick plastic cases like the copy of Solaris you mentioned.

philburque46 wrote:
For $5 each, you can order official replacement cases. http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/82-blu-ray-replacement-case-bottle-rocket

I never knew about this. Too bad they don't have one for Marienbad, probably because they no longer have the rights to distribute it. :(

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 09:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Last month, they announced that their upcoming releases will be dual format. If you ask me, that's a good thing as long as the editions doesn't get more expensive. To me, it's always good to have a movie on DVD because there are DVD-players everywhere and everyone can watch them. If you can watch a Blu-Ray, that's great, but if you for some reason would need the movie on DVD then it's good to have a dual format edition.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 16:41 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

its a good idea but I only hate it for the titles that I already have on BD since I keep all Criterions I have and don't sell them so for the films I'm already keeping the DVD edition it seems like a waste and annoyances but I'll keep it due to my OCD because I keep almost everything that comes with a title unless its the UPC code sticker. I really hate those and they are a pain to get off sometimes.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 08:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've been a big fan of Criterion films for many years. I first discoved Voyager laserdiscs and then the later Criterion presentations. CAV Criterion box sets were "A" list laserdisc offerings that presented films in the best possible manner, with loads of great extras.
How is Criterion doing now? I'd say quite good. At first I was annoyed that they stayed out of the great format war. They refused to produce any hi-def movies until either HD DVD or Blu-ray won the format war. I see now that that was a shrewd move.
By waiting, they were able to focus on one format only, saving themselves some hassle.
No one has mentioned the fact that Criterion charges the same price for their dvds and blu-rays. Very fair in my opinion.
I also am a fan of their Eclipse series and have several box sets. My favorite is Nikkatsu Noir. I've watched that box set many times.
I currently own 17 Criterion laserdisc editions, 9 dvd editions(including 4 box sets) and 11 blu-ray Criterion movies.
I resist the urge to upgrade. For example, I have the laserdisc version of Umberto. D but didn't buy the blu-ray version.
I am tempted by the blu-ray version of Seconds, and that may be my next blu-ray Criterion purchase....
I agree with what others have said about Criterions transfers... they do preserve film grain and the company has stated that if you are a big fan of DNR, don't expect to see that on Criterion releases.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 06:14 
They are indeed more expensive, msrp of $49.95 plus the G1/DVD Case size-which for people that don't care about the DVD is a rip honestly.

nissling wrote:
Last month, they announced that their upcoming releases will be dual format. If you ask me, that's a good thing as long as the editions doesn't get more expensive. To me, it's always good to have a movie on DVD because there are DVD-players everywhere and everyone can watch them. If you can watch a Blu-Ray, that's great, but if you for some reason would need the movie on DVD then it's good to have a dual format edition.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2013, 19:19 
Also, the Paramount DVD of "Nashville" is OOP but Criterion reissued it on DVD and Blu-Ray as they have no plans on reissuing it at the moment. The most complete DVD and Blu-Ray issue of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" is the new Criterion release coming out.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2014, 15:49 
IMO, its just not as fun to collect criterion DVDs and BluRays.

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 06:52 
Criterion is pretty much meaningless compared to what it once was.

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 02:58 
Serious fan
Serious fan

thxguru wrote:

You're joking, right?

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 03:04 
True fan
True fan

I think Image is pretty awesome. :clap:

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 03:14 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I still need that along with City Lights, Persona, The Hidden Fortress, Throne of Blood and Blue Is the Warmest Color. Just waiting on a good sale to catch up on Criterion BDs.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 16:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Barnes and noble criterion sale started today for online orders and tomorrow in all stores.

Its % 50 off from retail price so you end up paying $20 per title. 8t might sound high but if you know how much criterions sell for on regular basis you know $20 is the lowest they ever get.

If you have barnes and noble membership you can save another % 10 off so its $18 a title. Barnes also accepts coupons and % 20 off coupons are very common on the internet or emailed to you if you are a member.

B&n have the % 50 off sale twice a year. One around november and another in july. If you plan to buy more than 12 titles in one year, membership pays itself off ($25 annually)

The same sale applies to criterion dvds as well.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2014, 18:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

hey substance,
thanks for that, sort of happy and upset :lol: got some good stuff that I wouldn't have otherwise.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2014, 00:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

thxguru wrote:

I can't agree with this. While it's clearly not the same thing it was, neither is home video in general. It sucks that their Bluray offerings are extremely sparse compared to the huge variety of stuff they produced on LD, I still love their new releases. The packaging is great, the menus are some of the least annoying out there, and the video quality is terrific.

It's easy to look back at the 80s/90s stuff with too much nostalgia. Sure, Criterion were heroes when they released terrific versions of movies nobody else would release at all, but they also screwed up several releases, made some weird choices, and charged a huge amount of money for the stuff they did put out. They also, for some reason, released Armageddon: Special Edition #384 (1998) (Uncut) [CC1548L] which...come on. That's just...someone's going to burn in hell for that decision.

To me, they are great now and they were great then. While the allure of home theater has been seriously tarnished, Criterion had weathered it better than anyone except maybe Bandai, but with what they charge for stuff it better be good.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2014, 09:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I personally sort of agree with thxguru. Of course, they have put out many excellent editions since they moved over to DVD and Blu-Ray, but I feel that their best releases has already been made. Their artwork really sucks nowadays and I don't feel much creativity for their selection of titles once they announce the upcoming ones. For now, I just don't care about them and much rather stick to their Laserdiscs. I prefer Masters of Cinema.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 06:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Their artwork has definitely improved over the years. Take a look at Solaris, Godzilla or Modern Times.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 17:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The recent recent release of Godzilla is kinda BS though. It's Godzilla 1984 but the G on the cover looks more like a 90s Godzilla. I know they actually addressed this later saying, "No, it's brand new artwork. It's OG Godzilla for sure." but...nobody who has actually seen a few Godzilla movies would buy that. It's a great cover, but it's like putting Darth Maul on the cover of Empire Strikes Back.

The Modern Times cover is very good though.

Their artwork is up and down, always has been. There are several Criterion LDs with covers that are much better than the actual movie within.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2014, 00:08 
Serious fan
Serious fan

There's still some half-assed ones (Harakiri and Last Year at Marienbad come to mind), but overall I think they've moved forward, not backward.

I don't really get the Godzilla "controversy" either, the cover is based off a silhouetted segment from Tokyo's nighttime destruction which is one of the most visually iconic segments in the whole film along with Godzilla's drowning which forms the basis for the foldout digipack.

Page 3 of 4 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next