It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:22

Page 4 of 7 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Squeeze LD
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2012, 16:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

When I put mine on full view and unstretch it, looks better on my tv. If you have someone that has a 16:9 display that you could watch it on and see the difference, the picture ratio definatley looks more normal (to me) unstretched compared to 4:3 screen, which is why I was thinking it was squeeze.

Great you got it. Now we know there's 2 copies.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 02:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Today I received my Ordinary Europe squeeze disc which was still sealed. Till I opened it :D Very nice picture quality. It's the first one I've seen in almost 4 years searching, so I would say it's in the rare category. The database has a picture of the front, so I will do a picture of the back cover to post here.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 15:48 
Serious fan
Serious fan

vinylcollector wrote:
When I put mine on full view and unstretch it, looks better on my tv. If you have someone that has a 16:9 display that you could watch it on and see the difference, the picture ratio definatley looks more normal (to me) unstretched compared to 4:3 screen, which is why I was thinking it was squeeze.

Great you got it. Now we know there's 2 copies.

Make that 3 copies....I found another one for sale today when I was out and about! (if anyone is interested PM me).

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 00:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have taken pictures of the front and back cover of my Ordinary Europe. The front and back covers are quite different, then the covers used on the Hi-Vision edition (see Dadons site)

My front cover pic
Attachment:
Ordinary Europe squeeze 1.JPG
Ordinary Europe squeeze 1.JPG [ 145.04 KiB | Viewed 9335 times ]

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 00:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

And back of cover.

Attachments:
Ordinary Europe squeeze 2.JPG
Ordinary Europe squeeze 2.JPG [ 147.45 KiB | Viewed 9335 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 01:41 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Does anyone have this test demo squeeze disc? And what kind of numbers were defective?

Test Disc for Wide Television, The (1995) [SRLW 1726]

I found one but will be a couple weeks before mine will arrive.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 10:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

vinylcollector wrote:
Does anyone have this test demo squeeze disc? And what kind of numbers were defective?

Test Disc for Wide Television, The (1995) [SRLW 1726]

I found one but will be a couple weeks before mine will arrive.

I have that disc, and did not find any defects.
Wish you the same luck with your copy.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 16:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have it, and no defects.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2013, 18:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That's good to hear. Hope mine ends up ok too.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2013, 20:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

My test disc arrived today and plays fine as well. So either the defective ones were not as many, or when buying from a reliable source (as us collectors do) the discs are tested first and they wouldn't sell it if it was defective.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 06:54 
True fan
True fan

Finally got my first squeeze disc yesterday. I was extremely surprised to find Free Willy in a pile of $1 movies. All those years of reading the backs of Fugitive, Unforgiven, Free Willy and Grumpy Old Men finally paid off. :D

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 07:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

chente wrote:
Finally got my first squeeze disc yesterday. I was extremely surprised to find Free Willy in a pile of $1 movies. All those years of reading the backs of Fugitive, Unforgiven, Free Willy and Grumpy Old Men finally paid off. :D

How does the anamorphic squeezed enhancement of Free Willy look? I pressure you have played it on a LCD or Plasma? or something that is 16:9? It would look all squished on a 4:3 CRT.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 07:58 
True fan
True fan

alien wrote:
chente wrote:

How does the anamorphic squeezed enhancement of Free Willy look? I pressure you have played it on a LCD or Plasma? or something that is 16:9? It would look all squished on a 4:3 CRT.

It looks very good on my Plasma 55 inch although I am running through my Onkyo receiver which upconverts it. The anamorphic image looks very natural on the 16:9 display.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Great! I would love to get a copy of the squeezed anamorphic version of Free Willy on LD for a affordable price. Its a great movie and I use a 32" LCD for watching Laserdiscs anyway, so it would be awesome overall.

Yes I could just as easily get the anamorphic DVD, or Blu-Ray, but wheres the fun in that!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i had unforgiven once on squeeze disc, it looked pressed on the sides, like the old VHS films for the begining or ending
credits.
i also picked up the fugitive, it was a lucky find and i had to read the back many times to make sure i had the real deal in my hands.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 19:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well today I received another copy of the Ordinary Europe squeeze disc. I wasn't really needing a second copy but I got it for only 48.00 plus the shipping which was too good to pass up. Disc is in mint condition too.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 00:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ucfmatt wrote:
remington wrote:
Now to some other questions and points that have previously been brought up. Take a look at Aliens (laserdisc) 1998 release. The disc says 1: 85 aspect ratio. When you play it does it fill the screen? No. My original point was that I prefer letterbox on laserdisc. Some monitors will look better than others but overall zooming is not natural.

See I agree with just about everything said in this thread, some great informative posts. The one thing I can't get over is the above. Unfortunately I no longer own Aliens but if it's 1.85:1 (and ignoring the difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1) then yes, it should fill a 16:9 display. If you have black bars while watching Aliens then they will be on all 4 sides (horizontal and vertical). I do happen to own Predator which you referenced in a previous post. I took some quick cell phone pics at 30:12 into the movie to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

In the first picture there are black bars, but on all 4 sides like there should be. In the 2nd picture I've zoomed (called "expand" on my TV) the image to fill my screen without distorting or leaving out any picture. Same image, just larger.

EDIT: There does actually appear to be minor picture loss on the top and bottom but I believe that's due to the 1.85:1 image filling the 1.78:1 screen.

i have Predator, and i noticed towards the end credits, the right side of the screen is chopped off.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 03:34 
Third post and above
Third post and above

In any movie theatre, the film is always shown at the full height of the screen, & the width is adjusted to fit the image.
---
Not true. The screen can be altered in height - scope and spherical images can be the same width, the full width of the screen. Using a uniform width means the left and right loudspeakers are always correctly positioned. I have seen this. And we've all seen theaters that crop scope movies making them the same as sperical movies!

I always had mixed feelings about letterboxed laserdiscs. On the one hand, it was great to see the entire theatrical image. On the other hand, too much disc space was wasted on the "black bars." I always thought the anamorphic image should have been on the disc and the tv/monitor should have had a setting to vertically shrink the image. Of course, that happened too late. My Sharp 27" TV 27SC260 had ATSC tuner AND 16x9 setting although it was NOT a wide screen. It was the old standard 4x3 CRT. 16x9 was GREAT except that there was no single button on the remote to change. It was necessary to go into the settings menu. It took many "keystrokes" to make the change.

I had the distorted Disney The Black Hole and I returned it. I noted that the CED at the same time was correctly transferred. You have to wonder how that happens!

Regarding ZOOM: The effect varies from input to input on my Polaroid tv. If I am watching a NON-anamorphic letterbox movie and I wish to eliminate the SIDE bars with ZOOM, I can get a properly proportioned image in the Component and Composite inputs but HDMI input will never be distortion free.

Also, on a side note, my tv crops all around except with VGA input. The cropping means that 1.66 dvd or BD lacks sidebars and 1.85 dvd or BD lacks letterbox bars. Both are 1.77/16x9 damn it. I have bars only when viewing a properly transferred scope movie. "Properly" is significant nowadays because 2.35/2.40 movies are more and more often being cropped at the sides to fill the 16x9 screen. Look at HBO!

By the way, I bought and returned a Carousel LD because of flutter in the audio. Did anyone else notice this?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 02:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

RCA did their own film transfers for CED whenever possible.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2015, 20:50 
True fan
True fan

happycube wrote:
RCA did their own film transfers for CED whenever possible.

Kind of cool to know. I always assumed they were based of VHS or Beta or whatever transfer was available to them at the time

Page 4 of 7 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next