It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:52

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Laser Disc ROM/Arcade/LaserActive/TG16/Sega CD
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 22:23 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Maybe a section about Laser Disc Games/ROMs. Both how they were originally in the arcade, and modern ways of playing those old games. Information about the machines, the games, the arcades, and related things about other things other than a linear, non-forking picture and sound that can be stored on Laser Disc. Includes LaserActive and the Turbo Grafx HuCard/CD and Sega Genesis cartridge/CD adapters.

Post subject: Re: Laser Disc ROM/Arcade/LaserActive/TG16/Sega CD
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 00:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Have you seen dragons lair project?? They have a lot of info on the LD related arcade games.

Others you are mentioning are more for a gaming forum.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 01:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Well this place is called the Laser Disc Data Base. I know someone releases modern verisions of Dragon's Lair. There's one for the Wii that has all 3 Don Bluth LD games on one DVD-sized Wii Disc. PS3 had all 3 Bluth games. Xbox 360 had an HD Dragon's Lair with Kinect controller ( 1) not sure how that exactly works 2) can you use a standard controller instead, or MUST it be Kinect controlled? )

I see a section for Laser Disc Movies, TV Shows, Movies, Anime, Cartoons/Shorts, Music Videos, Concerts, and Karaoke. If the primary focus is Laser Discs, and the secondary focus is other obscure formats that "lost the war" (VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray would not qualify), then Laser Disc Games/ROMs is more related to laser discs than other formats that lost the war. The only reason I included TG16 and Sega CD was there were TG16 Hu Card/CD and Sega Genesis/CD adapters for the LaserActive, which if I remember right is the home-based Laser Disc video game format, and in Japan both Turbo Grafx and Sega CD had Turbo LDs and Sega LDs for the LaserActive.

Unless of course, it's only for "linear" Laser Disc media like everything mentioned paragraph 2 sentence 1.

By the way, how easy is it to change a Turbo Grafx adapter, a Sega adapter, and the third Karaoke adapter? Is the pain of swapping between Turbo and Sega low enough to be worth the savings in buying 1 instead of 2 Laser Actives, one for Turbo one for Sega? (there are enough Karaoke Laser Discs/CD+G players where you don't need to shell out money for a Laser Active just to have Karaoke.) And you need that if you want to play Turbo LDs and Sega LDs.

By the way. If Turbo CDs are expensive, and if Turbo Laser Actives can play Super Grafx CDs with the right Hu memory card, It might be worth buying a Laser Active as your Turbo Grafx CD.

I heard all discs are world wide readable, and a Japanese Hu Card reader can read Hu Cards all around the world, whereas US can only read American Hu Cards. (Not sure about Europe) But to use American controllers and Turbo Taps, you need US controller to Japanese console adapters. (not sure which standard Europe uses for controllers) They also make adapters the other way too.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 01:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nice.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 02:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Long story short: there are more Laserdisc video games aimed at the home market than most people realize but they are all varying degrees of expensive, unreliable, and unfun.

I agree that it would be a good sort of thing to build into the site. Much more relevant that HDDVD, for example. It’s a murky world with few collectors and high prices on everything. I don’t think any of our regulars know more than I do and I don’t know enough to start filling in a database.

Regarding your Laseractive question: the modules pop out in seconds and they cost hundreds each so I would be more concerned with getting them than the pain of swapping them out. Fair warning though: the Laseractive sucks. I wish it didn’t, but it does. :( For the record I am a huge fan of this exact era of gaming and I own and love all four systems from the 16 bit era as well as Laserdisc but I still don’t think the system is worth the space it takes up let alone Neo Geo sized prices for every single terrible game.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 03:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
Nice.

The LD arcade link is http://www.dragons-lair-project.com But I guess Turbo LDs and Sega LDs that have nothing to do with Arcade LD games could be discussed here.

And there's no rule that says that Dragon's Lair Project exclusively has the right to discuss Laser Disc-based games. .)

It's just that LD games need a separate LDDB.com category. You have Audio + Graphics Karaoke discs and Super Audio CD sections, so why not LD Games?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 03:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
Long story short: there are more Laserdisc video games aimed at the home market than most people realize but they are all varying degrees of expensive, unreliable, and unfun.

I agree that it would be a good sort of thing to build into the site. Much more relevant that HDDVD, for example. It’s a murky world with few collectors and high prices on everything. I don’t think any of our regulars know more than I do and I don’t know enough to start filling in a database.

Regarding your Laseractive question: the modules pop out in seconds and they cost hundreds each so I would be more concerned with getting them than the pain of swapping them out. Fair warning though: the Laseractive sucks. I wish it didn’t, but it does. :( For the record I am a huge fan of this exact era of gaming and I own and love all four systems from the 16 bit era as well as Laserdisc but I still don’t think the system is worth the space it takes up let alone Neo Geo sized prices for every single terrible game.

I never heard of any of these games, and I don't know how language dependent the games are, but I also heard it was combined bad and crazy expensive. Were the Turbo LDs or the Sega LDs worth playing even by the back-then standards? They probably lost what little cool value they had back then. It's not $2000 cool.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 03:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I agree. An LDROM2 game has the Laserdisc logo on it and was sold at retail. If we have MUSE and jukebox LDs it seems logical to list the rest.

I’m talking about for the database though. I think people would eventually turn up to fill that in. I don’t think a new forum section about the Laseractive is going to explode with traffic though. This is a quiet forum here to begin with and nobody really plays Laseractive.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 03:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

signofzeta wrote:
... For the record I am a huge fan of this exact era of gaming and I own and love all four systems from the 16 bit era as well as Laserdisc ...

All 4. Which 4?

Sega Genesis (+ CD and/or 32X, does that count as all one system?)
TurboGrafx 16 ( +CD (+SuperGrafx Hu Card Memory)?)
Super NES

If you want to count all after SNES but before Saturn...

Neo Geo (there's the MVS, the AES, and the CD, different media types for the same games)
3DO
Jaguar (+ CD)
CD-i

If I had to guess, if you had rich parents, the first 4. If not the first 3 and either either the 3DO ( If you were upper middle class) or Jaguar.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 04:00 
Honest fan
Honest fan

tripletopper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
... For the record I am a huge fan of this exact era of gaming and I own and love all four systems from the 16 bit era as well as Laserdisc ...

All 4. Which 4?

If I had to guess, if you had rich parents, the first 4. If not the first 3 and either either the 3DO ( If you were upper middle class) or Jaguar.

You have a spare $300. Do you buy
1) Genesis + if you find used at a used media place, a Sega CD and/or a 32X, depending on when you bought it., otherwise a few games
2) an SNES with a few games
3) A Turbo Duo (Hu Card reader + CD and possibly new Super CD memory card) (and if you caught it late, a few games)
4) A custom fight stick for those systems and all in the past and upgradable to the future
5) A Neo Geo cartridge? (that's right, a single game for $300. Talk about Rich Boy's Toy. But then again it was the 100 Meg shock. back when Genesis/SNES topped out at 16 Meg. And no load times of CDs)
6) A 50% down payment on a 3DO. (expensive system. Thankfully cheap games. Think of it as an investment. ,) )

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 05:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tripletopper wrote:
Maybe a section about Laser Disc Games/ROMs.

I think the "niche" section Hi-Vision, Squeeze, PAL+, HDVS and other oddities is a good playground for this kind of expert talks :-)

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 17:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

tripletopper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

All 4. Which 4?

Sega Genesis (+ CD and/or 32X, does that count as all one system?)
TurboGrafx 16 ( +CD (+SuperGrafx Hu Card Memory)?)
Super NES

If you want to count all after SNES but before Saturn...

Neo Geo (there's the MVS, the AES, and the CD, different media types for the same games)
3DO
Jaguar (+ CD)
CD-i

You talk to much. The four systems are Turbo, Genesis, Neo, and SNES. The more you are into each the more dirivitives you will have around. CD is basically essential for Turbo, kinda for Genesis. I absolutely didn’t have rich parents I had a job. Not everyone on earth was the same age in 1990 that you were. The 3DO/Jag are beneath contemp.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 17:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

CD is definitely required for PCE. I love my Duo haha. It gets...some good games with the Genesis but I'd say the majority of games worth playing there are Genesis carts.

The 3D0 and Jaguar are perfect for people that collect and don't actually play games.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 20:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The 3DO and Jag are perfect for people with head injuries.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 20:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I think we just said the same thing.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 22:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had a Jag back in the day when it was brand new, and I massively enjoyed some of the games.
Got the JagCD as well. I also had a Turbo Duo tho, so my head injury might not have been that severe.
Sold all my console and arcade stuff back in 2008, when my head injury got worse.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 22:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Sorry for assuming ages. I guess if you were a gaming adult with a higher than entry level income, and you cared about games enough where'd you'd make sacrifices elsewhere, I guess you could afford $200-300 a single game. But if you were my age, basically less than high school when the SNES came out, a Neo Geo was a Rich Boy's Toy if you had to beg your parents.

I'm on social security disability and my brother bothers me that I spend too much on video games. So I get what you mean.

Now you can have arcade perfect translations on PS4, Xbox One and Switch download stores for $7 a title. 95% savings vs the original made-for-home Neo Geo version. Funny thing is the actual Arcade version ROMs are cheaper than the original home versions today. You just need either a Neo Geo Arcade machine, or a consolized version of the Arcade hardware.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 23:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:
I had a Jag back in the day when it was brand new, and I massively enjoyed some of the games.
Got the JagCD as well. I also had a Turbo Duo tho, so my head injury might not have been that severe.
Sold all my console and arcade stuff back in 2008, when my head injury got worse.

I guess there's fans of everything. [url]Atariage.com[/url] has fans of all Atari systems, plus other systems not in the business anymore.

Did you have 1 or 2 Jaguar Pro Controllers/> They'er going for over $200 for a genuine Atari brand. But one AtariAge, there's a guy who sucessfully took pe-orders and is making third party Jaguar Pro Pads 2 for $120 plus shipping.

I'd like to call out what I believe is the the rarest species of retrogamer: an Emerson Arcadia 2001 fan (US version specifically, where Atari was sue happy and was acquiring home version of arcade game rights left and right. I know other markets didn't have sabotaged games.) in the 80's who actually chose an Arcadia over a 2600 Supercharger, a Colecovision or a 5200, paid full price, and defend that transaction to this day. Probably as rare as a LaserActive fan (w/ Turbo or Sega) who can defend the games on it.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 23:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

What about a Vectrex??

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2018, 00:19 
Honest fan
Honest fan

rein-o wrote:
What about a Vectrex??

That's a WAY more defendable choice than an Emerson Arcadia 2001. The fact it requires its own built in monitor makes it good at the types of games it does, but not as colorful.

What is the advantage and disadvantages of a vector monitor vs a raster monitor (if I remember if that is the opposite of vector). Raster has many more different colors and can completely fill the screen with color. Vector games's favorite color is Black. What is the advantage of a vector monitor? I think it's a more accurate representation of 3D graphics at the time.

A Vector monitor was the only way to accurately demonstrate a 4-dimension (If I may coin a word because i don't know the real word) "polyquadron" (like polygon and polyhedron, but for 4-dimensional shapes)

In my opinion, Vectrex is a much more justifiable purchase than a LaserAcrtive or an Arcadia 2001, even though a working Vectrex might cost $300 now. The only reason I have an Arcadia 2001 was because I found one system, plus 7 games for $35 and a ten-pack of games for $10 plus shipping before the prices went up. I'd probably try to complete the US collection because there was only 21 US games, and none are ridiculously expensive.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next