It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:11

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Muse / Hi-Vision discs won't auto reverse
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 03:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had a couple of new titles arrive on Friday.

We were watching one and at the end of the disc the player didn't change sides, it just stopped. I started it playing again and then pressed the B side button on the remote - nothing, no response whatsoever so flipped it manually to keep watching. Put a normal LD in later and it flipped fine. Pulled out Jurassic Park Muse which came a little while ago; I new that had flipped before; and it still did now. Put one of the new arrivals back in and once again nothing - not a failed attempt to turn but just no response to pressing the side change button whatsoever, the disc kept playing normally.

Only clue I have is had a look on the database (and the covers) and Jurassic Park was released in 1994, all the others that I could find a release date for were earlier. Is it possible something in how those discs are made (TOC?) could disable the auto reverse?

I wonder if anyone else with Muse discs has experienced this or knows anything about it?

Post subject: Re: Muse / Hi-Vision discs won't auto reverse
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 09:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What are those other titles then?
I have never encountered this problem before.
I am using an X9 HV-MD2 combo just like you.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 12:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

We were watching Universal Soldier (a cinematographic masterpiece right? :lol: ) and it wouldn't turn at the end of side A, the player just stopped. Later I tried Twins and Back to the Future and no response to side B button.

I put Universal Soldier in just before replying and it wouldn't respond when I pressed the side B button. Then tried Twins and it did! So I tried Back to the Future and it turned! then I put Universal Soldier back in and guess what - it turned!

Really not sure what is going on here - randomly defective button on the remote? But then Universal Soldier wouldn't change first time when just watching and getting to the end of side A - not selecting side B from remote. And why did it still not work the first time I tried just now but it did on the second? Anyway if there was just some kind of random 'glitch in the matrix' I'm hoping running a few muse discs through the player (who knows maybe for the first time it's played them??) has cleared it.

Think I'll just carry on and see what happens - if it plays up again, and particularly if it does and I pick up any pattern in it, will post again.

Otherwise it's just a manual side change!

Last edited by audioboyz1973 on 25 Oct 2015, 12:12, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Looking for Hi-Vision Discs (MUSE or HDVS).......

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 12:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Also nice to meet a fellow database member with the same setup!

I've come to realise my HV-MD2 has some kind of (probably) age related fault - thinking dry joint(s) or similar. When first turned on it tends not to work - all the indicators light as they should - including that a muse signal is detected and audio is decoded, but there's no picture. Give it 5-10 min after power up and if the picture isn't up just a light tap to the unit gets it there.

Have thought about opening it up and looking for any bad solder joints with a hot iron at the ready, but it works for now so until I have another option at hand I'm not to keen to risk the possibility of making things worse!

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 15:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

OK So it just happened again.

Watching T2, got to end of side A and just stopped. Pressed Side B on remote and nothing. Pressed side A and side A played, then pressed side B and nothing. Pressed Stop. Ejected and reloaded disc, played A but still no flip to side B. Ejected and reloaded and pressed side B, gave appearance of doing something and screen displayed 'A>B 'but then displayed 'stop' and stopped; tried again and same.

Put Universal Soldier in and began play side A, hit side B button and flipped ok.

?????

Put T2 in on side B and watching it now.....

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 16:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So after T2 side 2 finished it still wouldn't change sides. Ejected and reload and still wouldn't.

Turned off and on, then it would change side A > B.

I'm going to bed. (11:30pm here on a Sunday night).

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 00:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Odd things happening.
I have no idea what the problem could be.

My HV-MD2 has always worked like a charm.
But I have not used it for a year or so now.
So who knows...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 02:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have an x9 and those discs as well. I can try if you give me a few days. My x9 is in storage and my currently used player (x0) is single side.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 04:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for the offer Substance, please don't go to too much trouble though, and yes Lons it really is odd - has me scratching my head!!

I've started with the assumption in this post that the problem is just with muse discs, but then I thought perhaps the player has just developed an intermittent problem that will affect all discs and it's just coincidence it happened on the day that a few muse turned up to play. I did try a normal LD in between the muse as noted earlier; but it was just one and if it's an intermittent fault then that might not mean a lot. Though really that seems like too much of a coincidence that such a fault would happen to develop on the same day, so am still thinking more likely just a muse disc issue - I suppose only time and more disc playing will tell.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 07:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I've started with the assumption in this post that the problem is just with muse discs, but then I thought perhaps the player has just developed an intermittent problem that will affect all discs and it's just coincidence it happened on the day that a few muse turned up to play.

It did happen to me as well in the past, on a single MUSE Disc. Can't remember which one.

It got me puzzled for a while but the next day everything worked fine again.

Maybe the reader sometimes misses some info reading the TOC (table of contents) and is not aware there is a B side available?

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 17:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks Julien,

At least I know I'm not alone!!

Seems I attract annoying faults. The HV-MD2 needs to warm up and have a bit of a tap as above.

Based on a thread on here I acquired a SP-D07 surround processor to adapt muse A-mode '4.0' for 5.1 input on the amplifier. The remote (needed for a few functions) wouldn't work. Based on tips from a recent thread the remote itself worked so opened up the SP-D07 to see if could spot anything with the receiver. Fiddling round at one point it worked - then not again. Worked out any torsional stress on the sides of the unit made it work. Sit it flat no remote, shove something under one of its front feet and the twist under its own weight made it work.

That was a couple of days ago. Tonight actually tried hooking it up to the HV-MD2. No centre channel (test tone ok but no signal from the decoder). Wiggled the cable at the back and cut in and out - determined it's the input on the processor and not the cable. So maybe the processor has a few dry/damaged solder joints??

And this also means I discovered the HV-MD2 has some nasty video based interference manifesting in the multi-channel audio output. The 2 channel out (D section if referring to Publius's guide) is ok but the E section output whether set to 2 or 4 channel out on switch F has a nasty hum that totally reminds me of analogue audio picking up analogue video hum back in the days of beta and CRT's. It's definitely originating from the video circuitry somewhere as I could hear it change subtly as picture elements changed. As a confirming test, without a disc playing turning the OSD of the player on and off reduced it to an absolute minimum when off, but straight back to annoying levels when on.

Really with so many issues going on with the Victor I've pretty much given up on it. Thankfully an MSC-4000 is on the way and with any luck it might actually work properly.........
With the processor I'll checkout the centre channel RCA connector and it's attachment to the PCB - hopefully something fairly obvious. As for the remote - well I've worked out based on the wiring and labelling on the PCB where it attaches from the front panel, plus the system remote terminals at the back the general area where the issue might be. Whether I can find a bad solder join that might be the issue (only based on the fact physically twisting it makes it work) is another issue. At the end of the day the remote is only for a few 'set and forget' parameters so I could live without it, just a reliable centre channel connection would be nice!!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 17:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Despite all the issues I did eventually manage to get both a picture and sound up (T2 was in the player). As much as I heard was fairly impressed by the A-mode audio. Perhaps the top end was a little bit shrill at times, but that may be decoder dependent and only based on bits and pieces of one disc.

Highlight for the night; changed sides with no problems!!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 18:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sounds like your HV-MD2 needs some work with a soldering iron, & maybe some new capacitors.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 13:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, a soldering iron at the very least I think.

Actually I'm very happy with myself after today. Decided to have a go at fixing the issues with the SP-D07. Here's a peek inside:

Attachment:
IMG_3704 reduced.jpg
IMG_3704 reduced.jpg [ 122.96 KiB | Viewed 10104 times ]

Decided to have a go at the dodgy centre channel input first since it seemed most likely to be the attachment of the socket to the PCB so hopefully straightforward. As a teenager I used to build some kits and considered myself okay at soldering, but it's been a while since I did more than solder a plug on a lead. Spent a little time with google and youtube to be sure what to look for with a bad solder joint.

Soon realised it wasn't going to be so simple to get to though. The input socket assembly is circled in red. So to get to it had to remove the front panel and the volume control from it, detach the upper PCB at the back to get to the last screw holding the lower in place, then a delicate manoeuvre to get to the underside of the PCB.

The solder joints on the connector looked dodgy so re-soldered them and some on the other connectors too. Then got the boards back in place.

Then the remote issue. Had worked out the remote/control circuitry was on the RHS of the Power supply PCB; one of the black wires coming from the front panel was labelled 'RMC' on the PCB and the system remote sockets are circled in blue. Plan was to check the whole side of the board for any bad looking joints. Fiddly to get to again, had to remove the transformer and cooling fan with the front panel off to manoeuvre the board out. The only bad joins I could find were the attachment of the system remote sockets to the PCB. Re-soldered those. Kind of thought these would be 'end of the line' in the circuit an not necessarily stop the whole remote system from working, but all the other joins looked fine so decided to reassemble.

Moment of truth - plugged it back in and it turned on via remote! :) Checked out the centre input and now it was working fine too :D

Took a while and some patience to get it done but was not too hard, and having it all working properly now is very rewarding. Feel much more now that I might be able to successfully tackle the decoder.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 14:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Then spent a little bit of time poking around in the HV-MD2.

Have worked out that the area on the PCB circled in yellow below is the area most particularly sensitive to any physical movement/shock. The very slightest touch or flex of the board here could make the picture drop in and out, the small black heat-sink there seemed particularly 'touchy'.

Attachment:
IMG_3705 reduced.jpg
IMG_3705 reduced.jpg [ 147.19 KiB | Viewed 10100 times ]

My plan - perhaps for next weekend - as a first step is to have a good look at the underside of that board especially in that area for any bad joins and deal with any. At least this will be a lot less fiddly to get the board out compared to the SP-D07.

Hopefully that might at least deal with the picture dropping in and out. Not so sure about the hum the audio is picking up though, perhaps a bad earth somewhere? Or do you think something like a faulty capacitor could cause it? I just have standard multimeter, though after a bit of reading it seems if I'm going to effectively test capacitors I'll need a capacitance meter. Or might it be just as effective to assume they're bad and start replacing them??

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 18:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have an HV-VMD1 which doesn't work reliably, & part of the problem turned out to be that the power supply board was cracked across! A friend assisted me by bridging the traces, but this hasn't quite solved things yet.
Electrolytic capacitors often visibly "bulge" when they've gone bad. That's the first thing to look for.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 03:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Good luck with getting the HV-VMD1 up and running properly. Saw a youtube demo of someone doing a trace repair; that could be a bit of a mission to fix a cracked board if it broke many. Saw about the bulged cap thing while reading up on testing caps. These are all perfectly flat, though some could still possibly be bad.
First things first - I'll have a go at what seems to be bad solder joins, then depending on the outcome of that decide what to do next.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2015, 09:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

It's not a big priority, because the decoder isn't a very good one anyway — I don't believe it is really full-spec, & the audio output options are severely limited. But I hate to have non-working hardware around!

Definitely hunting cold solder joints will help, no matter what else is wrong.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 19:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

bit of a bump but solved the decoder problem here:

Another good weekend - successful HV-MD2 repair

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2017, 20:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

And the Muse not playing side two issue has never re-occurred after changing the rubber grip:

DEB1169

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next