It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 23:52




 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 06:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 10:13
Posts: 784
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Am I correct in suggesting a lot of the movies released on Hi-Vision MUSE were AC-3 5.1?

Were there ever any encoded in DTS like the individual DTS releases for standard LD?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 06:45 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2850
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
None of the Hi-Vision LDs had AC-3 or DTS. Muse encoding had its own codec called "Dance" which came in either 2.0ch or 4.0ch( Left, Right, Center, Mono Rear) flavors. Some discs also had 2.0ch PCM soundtrack in addition to the Dance soundtrack.

Dance soundtrack is decoded and outputted from the Muse decoder. 2ch version is 16bit 48kHz and 4.0ch version is 12bit 32kHz, both in about 1.4mbps. Muse decoders have 4 ch analog outputs or 2 digital coax to output 4.0ch audio.

DTS and AC-3 was possible on Hi-vision Ld but never was implemented.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 07:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2015, 15:40
Posts: 572
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Jurassic Park with DTS on Hi-Vision; now there's something I'd like to have if it had existed!!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2015, 07:20 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2850
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
Jurassic Park Hi-Vision LD has the Dolby Surround mix on 2ch PCM tracks as well as the 4.0ch Dance soundtrack. I prefer the PCM soundtrack.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 04:15 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 503
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
I was just wondering. Since I might get a MUSE disc with 4.0 audio soon ( my first one ) how do you utilize the two digital coax outputs to get 4.0 audio on a modern amp ?
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 04:32 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2850
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
No existing amp utilizes the two digital coax outputs. You can possibly use two high quality stereo dacs and feed the two pair of stereo outputs into 7.1ch analog inputs of your modern av receiver(use y adapter for surround inputs and leave back inputs unused). This way you bypass 20+ years old dacs inside the muse decoder.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 05:21 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 503
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I will stick with the analogue outputs in this case.
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 08:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 18 Apr 2012, 10:13
Posts: 784
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
substance wrote:
None of the Hi-Vision LDs had AC-3 or DTS. Muse encoding had its own codec called "Dance" which came in either 2.0ch or 4.0ch( Left, Right, Center, Mono Rear) flavors. Some discs also had 2.0ch PCM soundtrack in addition to the Dance soundtrack.

Dance soundtrack is decoded and outputted from the Muse decoder. 2ch version is 16bit 48kHz and 4.0ch version is 12bit 32kHz, both in about 1.4mbps. Muse decoders have 4 ch analog outputs or 2 digital coax to output 4.0ch audio.

DTS and AC-3 was possible on Hi-vision Ld but never was implemented.

Interesting. So arguably standard LD with its 5.1 AC-3 & DTS capabilities means that it can output better sound quality than Hi-Vision MUSE LD with its 2.0 & 4.0 "dance" audio?

Of course picture quality is a different story, with Hi-Vision MUSE at best being something in between DVD and BD. Better than the former, but not quite as good as the latter.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 10:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 03 Oct 2003, 10:06
Posts: 610
Location: at home :p
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times
alien wrote:
Interesting. So arguably standard LD with its 5.1 AC-3 & DTS capabilities means that it can output better sound quality than Hi-Vision MUSE LD with its 2.0 & 4.0 "dance" audio?

Of course picture quality is a different story, with Hi-Vision MUSE at best being something in between DVD and BD. Better than the former, but not quite as good as the latter.


You are talking theory here Alien :)
Only a few of the Scenery Discs look better than DVD quality, and can probably get somewhat close to nowadays HD media.
None of the movie discs manage this (IMHO).
Online
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 17:11 
True fan
True fan
User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2013, 02:37
Posts: 503
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
lons_vex wrote:
alien wrote:
Interesting. So arguably standard LD with its 5.1 AC-3 & DTS capabilities means that it can output better sound quality than Hi-Vision MUSE LD with its 2.0 & 4.0 "dance" audio?

Of course picture quality is a different story, with Hi-Vision MUSE at best being something in between DVD and BD. Better than the former, but not quite as good as the latter.


You are talking theory here Alien :)
Only a few of the Scenery Discs look better than DVD quality, and can probably get somewhat close to nowadays HD media.
None of the movie discs manage this (IMHO).


Yes, I agree. The "Paris" disc I have looks more or less like a DVD. The "Okinawa Underwater" disc however truly has HD-quality in my opinion.

The Suzuka Formula 1 disc I have looks very nice, too, considering the video was shot in 1991. It most certainly looks better than a DVD and
the whole disc is approximately 90 minutes long which is much longer than most non-movie titles.
_________________
Pioneer HLD-X0 with Sony MSC-3000 MUSE decoder.

Pioneer CLD-D925 for PAL discs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hi-Vision MUSE and 5.1
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2015, 18:23 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate
User avatar

Joined: 16 May 2009, 18:05
Posts: 2850
Location: MA USA
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 23 times
AC-3 being better than Dance? It has 1 extra surround channel and a dedicated subwoofer channel. So yes, in number of discreet channels, it perhaps is better.

As for fidelity? AC-3 is only 382 kbps and Dance is nearly 1.4 mbps(I think 1.35 mbps) which is very close to CD bitrate of just above 1.4 mbps. Dance 4.0 basically reduces bit depth to 13 bits and sampling to 32kHz in order to fit 2 extra channels into 1.35 mbps. So it's less prone to compression noise but has less air and dynamic range as well.

I would say DTS is a clear winner but AC-3 vs Dance 4.0 is a toss up.

Also I find muse video to be above DVD on my setup. It's recognizably HD in detail but it doesn't have the glossy HD look.
_________________
Wanted
HD-VMD Discs
Hi-Vision/Muse Discs Only complete/mint!
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: