It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello From Kentucky!
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 05:21 
I wanted to say hello to everyone and thank my new friend Rivrex for telling us about this great site! It is always great to find other people that are passionate about collecting movies from one of these great format! I love collecting CEDs and CED Players! It is a great way to spend time!!! To pop a movie that has been on a shelf for 28-30 years and watch a great movie, is just GREAT! I am just becoming introduced to laser disc players and I find them interesting too.

Post subject: Re: Hello From Kentucky!
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2011, 04:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

You will be assimilated, you will have LD and CED running nonstop in your house , resistance is futile ;)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 04:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Glad to see you guys here as well as the cedmagic forum. Sorry, you had to be greeted with a board titled CED crap? That really is not good form and uncool, even though unintentional. It has made it hard for me to get the CED fans to drop in here and see if LDs would interest them. They are offended right away and drop out.

I wonder if Yazorin or Admin would mind editing the title to just read "CED?" and drop the derogatory word? Just in the interest of the forum, please.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 05:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rixrex wrote:
I wonder if Yazorin or Admin would mind editing the title to just read "CED?" and drop the derogatory word? Just in the interest of the forum, please.

Granted! :oops:

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 09:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks for that change Julien !
Kudos to rixrex for the suggestion !
Let's greet our other format brothers and sisters as friends !

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2011, 21:17 
My first exposure to disc-format video was through a friend with a SelectaVision player, and my first experience of the player was the film The Neverending Story http://www.lddb.com/ced/01230//Neverending-Story-The-(1984). I still remember the thrill of seeing the caddy disappear into the machine. In 1991 after years of waiting, I finally took the plunge and bought my first LD player, but those couple of years or so of watching CEDs at a friend's house were what got me into film collecting.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 00:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rixrex wrote:
Glad to see you guys here as well as the cedmagic forum. Sorry, you had to be greeted with a board titled CED crap? That really is not good form and uncool, even though unintentional. It has made it hard for me to get the CED fans to drop in here and see if LDs would interest them. They are offended right away and drop out.

im sorry :( didnt mean to offend anyone...

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 20:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yeah, I didn't think so which is why I said 'unintentional'. Some of my fellow CED collectors take offense way quicker than I do. It's a format where the uniqueness of the system and mechanics of the players make it very "hands on" intensive for collectors and non-collectors tend to say things that aren't true just out of lack of knowledge, then the collector gets hot about it. That's all.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 01:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Another thing some members might not know but the RCA NTSC CED players were totally designed and manufactured right in the USA. I seen a video how the players were made, and it was quite interesting.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2011, 05:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yeah, I read RCA Selectavision CED Video Disc Players was the last product that was fully and completely made in the USA. :clap:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 20:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

alchemy541 wrote:
You will be assimilated, you will have LD and CED running nonstop in your house , resistance is futile ;)

Scott! Too late, i'm already part of the CED collective, last night I had 4 players running at once! I've got it, i've got it really bad!!!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 20:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

admin wrote:
rixrex wrote:

Granted! :oops:

Thank you! Looks like a very interesting site!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 20:52 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

hueydeweylouie wrote:
My first exposure to disc-format video was through a friend with a SelectaVision player, and my first experience of the player was the film The Neverending Story http://www.lddb.com/ced/01230//Neverending-Story-The-(1984). I still remember the thrill of seeing the caddy disappear into the machine. In 1991 after years of waiting, I finally took the plunge and bought my first LD player, but those couple of years or so of watching CEDs at a friend's house were what got me into film collecting.

I know exactly how you feel. I bought my first CED player way back in 1982. We had 4 places in our little town that was carrying CEDs. Then in 83 we moved to TN and the nearest place was 35 miles:( The good thing was, you could rent them for a week. I had just less than 40 titles. When RCA made the announcement, it really broke my heart. I hung in there for a year until my player stopped working (I didn't know then, but it it was just a function belt) I took early retirement in 2007, and started lurking about CEDmagic. Last year I bought a player identical to the one I had purchased, and I was back in business!!! I now have 7 players, and I love all of them! I also have about 500 movies too. It's a great hobby!!!

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 21:16 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Hello right back at yah! :)

CEDs are pretty cool as well. I own about 20 or so of them, I got them when I picked up the player. My favorites are Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. I may go through the titles I'm not interested in and sell them. Unfortunately the seller I got them for had water in the basement, so some titles have worn labels, but they play fine (with the occasional skip).

I actually bought The Beatles 'Let It Be' film on CED via eBay not long ago for under $20. I got it just for the cover, I was going to play it but I was afraid of the condition of my player harming it. Thankfully I have a LaserDisc rip of the film so I'm not missing out too much, but maybe if I feel more confident in my CED player down the road I'll take it for a spin. :)

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 03:39 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just like LDs, CEDs can survive a dunk or dip in water, even though the jackets don't.

For LDs, it's obvious why they can. CEDs less obvious, but it's due tho the silicon coating they have that resists water. In fact, if you have a CED that somehow gets dirt or dust in the case, a wipe with distilled water can help. It wont effect the silicon. That's a wipe, not a scrub.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 17:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

limeibook86 wrote:
Hello right back at yah! :)

CEDs are pretty cool as well. I own about 20 or so of them, I got them when I picked up the player. My favorites are Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. I may go through the titles I'm not interested in and sell them. Unfortunately the seller I got them for had water in the basement, so some titles have worn labels, but they play fine (with the occasional skip).

I actually bought The Beatles 'Let It Be' film on CED via eBay not long ago for under $20. I got it just for the cover, I was going to play it but I was afraid of the condition of my player harming it. Thankfully I have a LaserDisc rip of the film so I'm not missing out too much, but maybe if I feel more confident in my CED player down the road I'll take it for a spin. :)

If your CED player will play other movies, I would say Let it Be would be safe. Which player do you own? Is your player doing something that would make you feel it could damage a disc? I do check many of the CEDs I purchase before I put them in one of my players, especially if there is damage to the caddy. I get so excited when I get a CED in the mail, you'd think they were the newest thing out there the way I act. My wife said DVDs and BluRays are much clearer, why do you want to watch these? I just smile and say You wouldn't understand. :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]