It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:36

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Why do so few collect VHDs, and are there NEW VHDs ahead
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I just did some looking around and aparently the re-issue Gailent Memorial Box contains all three OVAs as well as the TV series. The catalog number is BELL-1076. It isn't listed on lddb.com.

Makes me wonder if the Gatchaman movie wasn't also sold on LD. It would seem weird than Bandai would let that one slip by.

Edit: I was wrong, it is on lddb.com, pending validation. http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/24 ... morial-box

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 06:54 
Site Admin
Site Admin

signofzeta wrote:
Edit: I was wrong, it is on lddb.com, pending validation. http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/submit/24 ... morial-box

Validated, thanks!

http://www2.hi-nobori.net/battling/galient/visual/BELL-1076.htm
Panzer Workd Galient: Memorial Box [BELL-1076]

Julien

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013, 19:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

How much would a VHD player be in Japan ?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 22:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

VHD's are mastered with a laser beam on a Photoresist coated master glass disc in a Class 100 clean room, so it would be a HUGE investment and problem to make one. Only once the master is made and stampers made does the VHD process become like an LP, plus, the plastic is a very special compound with carbon black added to make it conductive like CED - its not simple vinyl like an LP.

Forget about a new VHD disc ever being made - it will never happen.

I love the format and my 2 players - it was fun creating the DiscWorld VHD site - and I took my screen name from National's VHD players back in 2001 when I got my first VHD player and 3D discs.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 09:38 
Back in the 1980s we had 3 different video cassette & 2 different video disc formats which were V2000, VHS, Betamax CED & Laserdisc aka Laservision. VHD never went onto the market because VHS already had a strong market share while Betamax struggled until 1987 though Betamax did very well in the video retail while VHS was only available in the video rental side & most people at the time rented video recorders which I believe explains why VHS became the success it was. V2000 was never a contender even though it had some interesting features due to it being released some 3-4 years after Betamax. Laservision died out in 1987 but Pioneer resurrected it under the name Laserdisc some 20 years ago while philips worked on Video CD & wanted little to do with the format. Until 1998 Laserdisc was a marginal success despite few titles being released & MGM & Warner Bros refusing to support the format so those who didn't want NTSC discs were forced to buy them for films such as James Bond & any title filmed by the afore mentioned Warner Bros. Considering these factors it's understandable why virtually nobody collects VHD discs. AS for new VHD discs being released is a pipe dream & considering we're living in the HD era now it's more realistic to expect HD-Laserdisc to re-emerge with revised specifications such as 720p since the old MUSE system isn't standard & I'm not certain modern TVs could display the images encoded on the disc without a standards converter.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 23:19 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

scorpio wrote:
...now it's more realistic to expect HD-Laserdisc to re-emerge with revised specifications such as 720p since the old MUSE system isn't standard & I'm not certain modern TVs could display the images encoded on the disc without a standards converter.

I've not yet seen a TV that could not display MUSE.
I have to admit tho I only tried it on five displays myself,
BUT from the handful of people that I know that have or had
MUSE, nobody ever told me they ran into a modern TV that
could not display it.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 12:16 
It was until 2012, when I commenced collecting international 'James Bond' consumer home-video sleeves, that I became aware of the VHD format; even then it was only by chance when I visited Recobanchou looking for a Japanese LD of The World Is Not Enough.

I now have a complete set of OO7 VHD's (published on my website).

I don't have a VHD player but would certainly like to transfer my Bond discs to digital media (as I have already done with my OO7 CED's).

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2014, 14:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

3D on VHD will not work on modern displays. 3D on VHD is sequential on interlaced video. You can use a CRT tube TV(SD only). Importing a functioning player is about $500-700 unless you are well versed in Japanese and hunt one down cheaper on Japanese online auctions. Titles are heavy and shipping is expensive(from Japan). They only exist in Japan. Majority of LD collectors are after LDs because they are cheap(under $3 each), importing a single VHD title is more expensive than a brand new Blu-ray box set. That's why there aren't many collectors.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 00:19 
Loads of New VHDs coming soon, one example. on sale now
ARTIST : THE STYLE COUNCIL
TITLE : WHAT WE DID ON OUR HOLIDAYS - ultra rare official Japan VHD format release
CATALOGUE NUMBER: VHM39006
CONDITION (MEDIA): Near mint
CONDITION (SLEEVE): Near mint - still has most of original shrinkwrap intact (shrinkwrap has some tears etc).
OTHER DETAILS: ** ULTRA ** rare official 1983 Polygram Japan issue VHD format release with insert and picture box.
this is from an ad, I have 3 copies in Factory Shrinkwrap (FS) does this make it not so rare now, plus I've come across about 25 titles in my collection with FS include's some VideoJukebox titles which I find very strange, they never went on sale, and they've FS the caddys only no covers, no track listing.

Another thing you don't find is any info on VHD rot, funny how they keep a list of Laserdisc rotters only, what about VHD or CED.

Let me give you a few for starters

VVG-2 The Star of Cottonland (Wata no Kuni-Hoshi)

Side-1 51:49 / first time played from c-2, c-0/1 played, lots of skipping forwards and backwards, very bad picture like a wore out VHS tape
Side-2 44:27 / played from c-6 at 7 eject disc

Most of these suffer from skipback/skipforward, we are taking a few seconds, also some clicking on the soundtrack

VHP-44025 Gone With The Wind
VHM-28018 Bananarama - Videosingles
VHM-58084 Tina Live Private Dancer Tour
VHM-28023 Pointer Sisters - So Excited
VHM-39028 Madonna Eject 2 times 3rd time play ok
TFCD-1011 Day of the Dead
SVE-0008 That's Shock Terror in the Aisles
VHP-49250 Inujini Seshi Mono (1986)
TVD 2002 Godzilla 1954
VHM-68033 Donna A Hot Summer Night

I've come across one TVJC-60 Disco 60, which will not play it just comes up with eject disc after trying to read it.
I wonder if it's a reject.

Another thing about your list of rotters what if in the future it turns out all laserdiscs suffer from rot, your list will became the same as the database list.

I am beginning to think my VHD player will out last my VHD discs.

Let the Truth come out
vinyl unopened product state junk
vinyl unopened product state mint

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 00:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

jahgussi wrote:

Another thing you don't find is any info on VHD rot, funny how they keep a list of Laserdisc rotters only, what about VHD or CED.

I think everybody knows that this is NOT rot but an issue due to too much use of the disc.
laser rot is NOT from too much playback but a manufacturing issue.
:wave:

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2014, 23:33 
Date 13/07/2014
Thorn EMI Videodisc Player 2 User Log
Model 3D01
Video Disc System
Serial No 10910327

Bought as Thorn EMI 3D01 VHD Videodisc Video Disc Player 77 Discs
Spares Or Repair.

Player returned from Engineer, removed a disc that was in the player, but not working. Zero charge.

When I got home I removed the cover to have a look, the Engineer did not no that part of the caddy was still in the player, I removed this, case back on and it worked perfect first time. Note the Engineer was a Hifi Engineer, who done a good job repairing my cassette players, I was told he could repair Laserdisc players, but they'd never seen a VHD player before. Still for his time in removing the disc I gave them £20. I was very happy I got myself another VHD player working and for the first time I got see the surface of a VHD disc.

Nos from the surface of the VHD video disc

Side-1 401 00074 01 * * * 222 14/09/84 59'59
Side-2 609 00143 01 A2 * * * 221 2/1/85 59'59

And upon looking at the disc I see what looks like laser-rot, I wonder how long that's been there.

The VHD discs I got with my first player suffered skipping and that was in the late 80s, I was never sure if it was the tracking of the player, I am now sure both players tracking is ok because I have some movies that play perfect like they should.

It's impossible they were wore out from to much play back then, even if they came out of a Video Jukebox.
Both players come from Thorn EMI in Swindon.

This is what I believe is the truth

Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with a
limited useful life, so it will become obsolete.No longer functional after a certain period of time. Maybe they got the timing wrong.

Maybe I am wrong and it's just a matter of I've ended up with over 100 rejects, with all different index numbers.

Hands up anyone with perfect Video Jukebox titles

example titles, some just have index numbers no title.

Title VJBE 76
Title VJB-105 Bank 300
Title TVJC-60 Disco 60 (c)1987
Title TVJC-71 Disco 71 (c)1987

Oxidation it's just a matter of time.

Attachments:
File comment: Naked VHD Surface, with Laser-rot
VHD Surface 01 resized.jpg
VHD Surface 01 resized.jpg [ 31.23 KiB | Viewed 4717 times ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2