It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 05:39

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Why do so few collect VHDs, and are there NEW VHDs ahead?
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 05:03 
True fan
True fan

I've only been into the VHD format a short time, but I don't understand why so few users of the LDDb have VHDs in their collections. If I'm reading the stats right approx. 65 VHDs are owned by collectors here. This doesn't seem right as the format is vastly superior to CEDs.

I've now got a total of 10 releases (out of the over 1,100 known to exist). All 10 are in the Top 100 for the format here. Also every time I get a batch of VHDs in there's a title not already in the database. I submit them of course, and have more coming. It might seem a wild fantasy, but I feel that if more people here collected the format we might someday see over 2,000 titles in the database. After all, there have been nearly 12,000 LaserDisc releases added since I first entered in my collection here.

While 10 releases may seem like a small sample to go by, I'm still surprised that I haven't come across a single defective disc. Not one! Anyone who collects CEDs has no doubt found a great many of them damaged due to worn or crushed grooves. But VHDs don't have grooves, so that's not an issue.

RecoBanchou http://www.urabanchou.com/ provide many of the LaserDisc covers submitted here. At any given time they have approx. 800 VHD titles in stock. As I know of several people who buy Japanese (and even American) LaserDiscs from them, why so few collectors of the format here?

My undertanding is that unlike CEDs or LDs, VHDs can be manufactured by any vinyl record pressing plant. There are still vinyl record pressing facilties in operation. I'd love to see indie film producers support the format with new releases. Pipe dream perhaps, but then an indie film director that I know is about to release his latest horror film on DVD, Blu-Ray, and VHS. Yes, VHS! I asked him if he'd be open to the possibilty of releasing titles in the VHD format, and he said that he would love to. I gave him contact info for a record mastering facility, but didn't know what else I could tell him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

STAY AWESOME! :)

Post subject: Re: Why do so few collect VHDs, and are there NEW VHDs ahead
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 05:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

i think it's due to the cost of players.
i bought a CED for under 50 and i don't know how much longer i'll keep it.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 05:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Come on dude, you know you want lord of the rings, return of the king and the hobbit :) Lol. Fire and Ice, return of the comet as well!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 05:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Was VHD even sold outside of Japan? I've personally never even see one.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 15:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

mikeystoyz wrote:
Come on dude, you know you want lord of the rings, return of the king and the hobbit :) Lol. Fire and Ice, return of the comet as well!

:problem: CED is cool but i just can't do it, don't have any space to put the discs,
i have more LDs now than i really want, but can't sell most of them.

also the skipping deal is a real problem, i may keep the player but also don't really know about keeping it.

the value of the discs are not like LDs, if it was never released on DVD it's worth a whopping 6 bucks.

not everything i own has to be worth money but these may not be worth it to me :cry:

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 15:35 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

cessnaace wrote:
My undertanding is that unlike CEDs or LDs, VHDs can be manufactured by any vinyl record pressing plant. There are still vinyl record pressing facilties in operation. I'd love to see indie film producers support the format with new releases. Pipe dream perhaps, but then an indie film director that I know is about to release his latest horror film on DVD, Blu-Ray, and VHS. Yes, VHS! I asked him if he'd be open to the possibilty of releasing titles in the VHD format, and he said that he would love to. I gave him contact info for a record mastering facility, but didn't know what else I could tell him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Even if VHDs are simple to produce like vinyl, the problem would then become, who's going to make the caddies and the innards of the caddies (that hold the disc)? That's a lot of plastic to be fabricated for an extremely small niche product that was only available primarily in one country.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 18:47 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:

No. They were only released in Japan. Players are easy to come by there, but you have the expense of shipping them from Japan to consider. Still, Muse HiVision LDs was only released in Japan and people here collect them, eventhough the players have to be shipped from Japan.

The VHD format offers 3-D playback. Erotica was released on VHD. Can you imagine Erotica in 3-D? :)

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 18:50 
True fan
True fan

rein-o wrote:
mikeystoyz wrote:

:problem: CED is cool but i just can't do it, don't have any space to put the discs,
i have more LDs now than i really want, but can't sell most of them.

also the skipping deal is a real problem, i may keep the player but also don't really know about keeping it.

the value of the discs are not like LDs, if it was never released on DVD it's worth a whopping 6 bucks.

not everything i own has to be worth money but these may not be worth it to me :cry:

VHDs are smaller and lighter than CEDs. 10" in diameter as opposed to 12".
VHDs don't skip. Not that I've seen.
I collect CEDs too, but VHDs are much higher in quality.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 18:56 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

Even if VHDs are simple to produce like vinyl, the problem would then become, who's going to make the caddies and the innards of the caddies (that hold the disc)? That's a lot of plastic to be fabricated for an extremely small niche product that was only available primarily in one country.

Well, there are American companies making brand new Nintendo Entertainment System cartridge shells for homebrew games. They even look better than the originals because they are produced in a fairly wide range of colors. I own some that are clear, red, green, and blue. Homebrew NES games. That's a fairly niche market. And new Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges are being made now too.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 21:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cessnaace wrote:
While 10 releases may seem like a small sample to go by, I'm still surprised that I haven't come across a single defective disc. Not one! Anyone who collects CEDs has no doubt found a great many of them damaged due to worn or crushed grooves. But VHDs don't have grooves, so that's not an issue.

I'd agree it was a very high quality format like so many other things manufactured in Japan.
Whilst I still don't have a VHD player I do have a number of VHD discs and also some DVD dubs of some of those discs done by Japanese sellers.
Even the dubbed copies stand up well and it is clear the picture and sound is very impressive.

I still prefer laserdisc as a format but VHD definitely had great potential and is a decent format to consider collecting.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 04:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

cessnaace wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

No. They were only released in Japan. Players are easy to come by there, but you have the expense of shipping them from Japan to consider. Still, Muse HiVision LDs was only released in Japan and people here collect them, eventhough the players have to be shipped from Japan.

The VHD format offers 3-D playback. Erotica was released on VHD. Can you imagine Erotica in 3-D? :)

Yeaahhhhh...but MUSE is actually a totally awesome format that produces amazing visual quality. VHD is just...some format that died a long time ago.

So does VHD support LCD shutter glasses or something like that? I asks because standard red/blue 3D works on any system, LD, VHS, basic cable...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 04:27 
True fan
True fan

signofzeta wrote:
cessnaace wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Yeaahhhhh...but MUSE is actually a totally awesome format that produces amazing visual quality. VHD is just...some format that died a long time ago.

So does VHD support LCD shutter glasses or something like that? I asks because standard red/blue 3D works on any system, LD, VHS, basic cable...

VHDs use shuttle glasses for the 3D mode.

Quote:
In 1985 Victor introduced the compatible 3D VHD system. The 3D discs were backwards compatible, with the image playing as standard 2D on existing players, or in field-sequential 3D on the new 3D players (or players equipped with a 3D adapter via the AHD port on VHDpc players). VHD players with 3D built in had a button on the front of the player to turn the 3D on and off; they also had a mini-jack to connect the required LCD shutter glasses. Because the disc was backards compatible the formatting of the disc was not the same as a standard VHD. Victor achieved the compatible 3D disc by taking advantage of the "kick" instructions recorded on VHD discs for tracking control. Since two images are required for 3D, the Right Eye image is recorded on one field, and the left eye on the alternate field. This sequence is repeated, but for 2D playback, the Right Eye image is re-recorded on adjacent tracks along with the duplicated audio. When played on a standard player, the disc instructs the stylus to skip tracks every 1/2 rotation, thus playing only the right eye and giving a standard 2D image. In 3D playback, the stylus is also instructed by the "kick" signals, but at different points to skip over the repeated Right Eye image, thus giving 3D playback. In both modes the stylus is tracking in what is equivalent to 2x forward reproduction and so 3D discs are limited to 30 minutes play time per side. One neat point of the 3D disc engineering is that VHD players from different manufacturers respond differently to the kick pulses on the disc - in other words, when a kick instruction is received, not all styluses kick at the exact same point. This could cause problems with the audio if, for example, the disc playing in 2D read the audio from the unneeded Left Eye signal. To overcome this problem, Victor records small amounts of repeated audio at points where the stylus would kick - enough audio is recorded to cover all variations of players. If the stylus goes off track, the repeated audio is there to "fill in" the gap and no audible artifacts are generated.
Victor, National (Panasonic) and Sharp all produced VHD players with 3D built in, and I've also seen a 3D adapter from Sharp, but I don't know if Victor or National produced 3D adapters.

-VHD DiscWorld
http://disclord.tripod.com/vhddiscworld/index.html

I'd like to add that my player, a National (Panasonic) has 3D built in. While my 3D glasses were made by National as well glasses made by Victor will work with my National player.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2012, 04:29 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
cessnaace wrote:

I'd agree it was a very high quality format like so many other things manufactured in Japan.
Whilst I still don't have a VHD player I do have a number of VHD discs and also some DVD dubs of some of those discs done by Japanese sellers.
Even the dubbed copies stand up well and it is clear the picture and sound is very impressive.

I still prefer laserdisc as a format but VHD definitely had great potential and is a decent format to consider collecting.

I'm personally enjoying the format. I would recommend the format to retro video collectors.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 03:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

That sounds truly interesting. Especially the fact that I have never heard of a disc which stopped playing.
Longevity is crucial to me. It is actually more important to me than picture quality.
I have a bunch of Warner HD DVDs that simply stopped playing this year but Warner might actually replace
those with the proper Blu Ray versions but that is nevertheless frustrating owning a disc that was produced
like four years ago and no longer plays.

I will be in Tokyo in September. Do you know how much a VHD player might cost over there ?

I am sure the format itself is awesome and deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. I have many Japanese
DVDs and one ! Japanese Blu Ray disc but I am truly interested in this format. I love everything Japanese. I do not
speak the language but I have a good command of the Chinese language, therefore I can read it to some extent.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 03:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

confederate wrote:
That sounds truly interesting. Especially the fact that I have never heard of a disc which stopped playing.
Longevity is crucial to me. It is actually more important to me than picture quality.
I have a bunch of Warner HD DVDs that simply stopped playing this year but Warner might actually replace
those with the proper Blu Ray versions but that is nevertheless frustrating owning a disc that was produced
like four years ago and no longer plays.

I will be in Tokyo in September. Do you know how much a VHD player might cost over there ?

I am sure the format itself is awesome and deserves to be treated with the utmost respect. I have many Japanese
DVDs and one ! Japanese Blu Ray disc but I am truly interested in this format. I love everything Japanese. I do not
speak the language but I have a good command of the Chinese language, therefore I can read it to some extent.

You only chance is to buy one on yahoo, you might find a cheap unit on hard off, but yuo cant be sure it works.

VHD is an very cool format. I got a few, Return of the jedi, Cobra, super rock 84, which I find quite cool, have some more I cant remember now. But I never had the energy to get myself a player.

You know I have never quite understood how they actually got picture out of grooves.

Now I dont know anything about VHDs, but I have made vinyls, and are you sure they make the plates out of a laquer master ? becouse otherwise they wont be able to make them, its also if I remember correctly a quite thin "record" which will need a custom made plate, becouse I doubt they have any plates for VHD discs in the storage =)

Tell your friend to make a BD with a gatefold lp sleeve with cool artwork on it instead, and dont forget to tell him to add a poster and a photocell, japan bonus material ftw !

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 17:58 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I might get into this but I don't have the money for one now. I think there are some anime that only on VHDs and not Laserdisc? do VHDs have anything exclusive anime wise?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 18:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Scoopers (1987) [V3D-2001]

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 20:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of too.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:13 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I had discussed this topic with a friend a while ago, about anime titles available on VHD,
that are not available on LD. Here is the list we came up with:

OVA

Dead Heat
Scoopers
Cosmos Pink Shock
Okubyo na Venus
Hell Target

Movie

Zoo no Inai Dobutsuen
Chikyu Monogatari Telepath 2500
Kagaku Ninja Tai Gatchaman
Shunmao Monogatari Tao Tao
Wata no Kuni Hoshi
Oshin
Hadashi no Gen

TV special

Marine Snow no Densetsu
Poppen-sensei to Kaerazu no Numa

TV series (some not complete ???)

Kacho no Ki Mokku (1 vol)
Mimu Iroiro Yume no Tabi (2 vol)
Akai Tori no Kokoro (4 vol)
Spoon Obaasan TV (13 vol)

Edit: Two titles removed as they exist on LD thanks to signofzeta

Last edited by lons_vex on 26 Jun 2013, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 23:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Love Live Alive is on LD in the same box set as the rest of the Mospeada series.

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next