It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:10

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Few VHD questions
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 17:09 
Hi guys..I'm totally new to the VHD format. I've been a LD owner for a number of years, but didn't (and still don't) know much about this format. I'm hoping you guys could answer a couple of questions:
1)If I had a VHD player and a Friday the 13th VHD 3D disc, would I be able to watch this on my Samsung 3D plasma tv using my active glasses that came with the tv?
2)Where is the best place to acquire a player and movies (at the moment I'm just looking to get Friday the 13th Part 3 3D, but I'm sure my collection would grow from there).
Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Rick

Post subject: Re: Few VHD questions
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 17:44 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

since VHD was only released in Japan you would have to use Japanese sites and possibly go through a service to buy things on sites such as Yahooo Japan if the sellers don't deal with people from oversees.

I don't know much about the format though I would like to get a copy of Blade Runner sometime and maybe a player as well.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 17:56 
xtempo wrote:
since VHD was only released in Japan you would have to use Japanese sites and possibly go through a service to buy things on sites such as Yahooo Japan if the sellers don't deal with people from oversees.

I don't know much about the format though I would like to get a copy of Blade Runner sometime and maybe a player as well.

Thanks for the response xtempo! I am very interested in finding out more about this format (specifically the 3d aspect of it and whether or not it works with today's plasma/lcd 3d tvs.
Out of curiosity, what's the interest in the Blade Runner disc? Is there something special about this that can't be had on blu-ray?

Rick

PS.. does anyone know what the resolution is/was on VHD?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 19:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan

rickwj324 wrote:
Hi guys..I'm totally new to the VHD format. I've been a LD owner for a number of years, but didn't (and still don't) know much about this format. I'm hoping you guys could answer a couple of questions:
1)If I had a VHD player and a Friday the 13th VHD 3D disc, would I be able to watch this on my Samsung 3D plasma tv using my active glasses that came with the tv?
2)Where is the best place to acquire a player and movies (at the moment I'm just looking to get Friday the 13th Part 3 3D, but I'm sure my collection would grow from there).
Any info would be appreciated! Thanks, Rick

1) I may be wrong, but I think that you can watch it on a 3D TV, but you need the glasses that work with the player, not the TV. The 3D on VHDs is done with active shutter glasses, a lot like the ones today, but they might be working on a different frequency than the ones that come with your TV. You'd need a 3D VHD player, turn on the 3D using the button on the back, and the 3D is seen with active shutter/field sequential glasses that sync up with the player. From what I have read, a lot of 3D TVs have their active glasses work at different frequencies, so the Samsung 3D ones might not work with the VHD.

2) http://www.urabanchou.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=178881 They have a copy of Friday the 13th Part 3 3D for $85.99, but they do have 20% off sales every so often

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 20:04 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

rickwj324 wrote:
xtempo wrote:

Thanks for the response xtempo! I am very interested in finding out more about this format (specifically the 3d aspect of it and whether or not it works with today's plasma/lcd 3d tvs.
Out of curiosity, what's the interest in the Blade Runner disc? Is there something special about this that can't be had on blu-ray?

Rick

PS.. does anyone know what the resolution is/was on VHD?

I'm just interested to have it on VHD as well as Video 8 and SVHS if I can find them hopefully I won't have to pay a fortune. I have Blade Runner on Beta,VHS,LD,CED,HDDVD and BD.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 21:24 
xtempo wrote:
I'm just interested to have it on VHD as well as Video 8 and SVHS if I can find them hopefully I won't have to pay a fortune. I have Blade Runner on Beta,VHS,LD,CED,HDDVD and BD.

@philburque46 - Thanks for the info! I'll try to research it a bit more. If I were to buy a player to watch 3d movies on, I was hoping it would be compatible with existing Samsung tv's with active glasses. If not I probably wouldn't pursue it any further.

@xtempo - That's cool that you have all those formats for Blade Runner! I have it on dvd, hd-dvd, and blu (trashed my vhs tapes long ago).

Thanks again for the info you guys have provided. --Rick

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 21:38 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I don't think 3D VHD will work on modern displays. VHD video is in interlaced format(i.e. 480i). Modern displays can not natively display interlaced video, all LCD, Plasma displays internally de-interlace video to progressive and whatever their native resolution is (i.e. 1080p,720p etc..)

Now I don't know how exactly 3D on VHD is encoded but I imagine it has the video for each eye on separate fields(therefore 30 fields per eye per second). On CRT displays this can work. On a modern display when fields are combined to turn the video into progressive you can imagine this would merge both eyes into one frame.

I would double check with someone who has experience with this system but I am pretty sure you need a CRT Tube TV to watch VHD in 3D. I am also pretty sure you will have to use provided active glasses. I don't even think these glasses are wireless

If what I have suspected above is true ,you would need some sort of converter to convert field based NTSC 3D video into check board type progressive video. then you can use your Samsung TVs provided glasses.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 12:34 
substance wrote:
I don't think 3D VHD will work on modern displays. VHD video is in interlaced format(i.e. 480i). Modern displays can not natively display interlaced video, all LCD, Plasma displays internally de-interlace video to progressive and whatever their native resolution is (i.e. 1080p,720p etc..)

Now I don't know how exactly 3D on VHD is encoded but I imagine it has the video for each eye on separate fields(therefore 30 fields per eye per second). On CRT displays this can work. On a modern display when fields are combined to turn the video into progressive you can imagine this would merge both eyes into one frame.

I would double check with someone who has experience with this system but I am pretty sure you need a CRT Tube TV to watch VHD in 3D. I am also pretty sure you will have to use provided active glasses. I don't even think these glasses are wireless

If what I have suspected above is true ,you would need some sort of converter to convert field based NTSC 3D video into check board type progressive video. then you can use your Samsung TVs provided glasses.

Thanks for your detailed response! I kind of suspected as much, which was why I posed the questions here. Sounds like it won't be worth purchasing these as it would be a costly project and probably wouldn't work anyway. My days of CRT tv's are way behind me... ;)

Thanks again all! Rick

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]