It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 01:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Increase in pricing?
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 00:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Are these tapes getting more expensive these day? True Lies & Alien for example .. .
I know asking is easy but :wtf: some titles are fetching serious money. It's not like decent condition players are easy to find. Most players offered are 30000u models lacking dts output or have the common PS fault. I find it very hard getting my hands on a spare dts capable player.

Post subject: Re: Increase in pricing?
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 01:31 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Well I do believe that there are two reasons for the prices to be climbing recently ....

1) Just like the LD prices recently the D-VHS tapes have found a new market with the millennials and hipsters that think dead media is awesome. So they are getting into the market and paying whatever an ebay seller is listing a tape at.

2) You have to give some of the blame to ebay resellers and the way that they can use the ebay past pricing against us. It is used a lot more in the LD market though.

But to be fair....it is still a very nitch market....and when you figure in the fact that the supply of the tapes were very limited to begin with you do get a market that tries to gouge it's self!

Just my opnion....

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 02:50 
Jedi Initiate
Jedi Initiate

I completed my dvhs collection a few years ago and stocked on late players but I will buy one more. They were steadyly available a couple of yours ago but lately none. I see 40000u time to time which does dts. A sleeper is a marantz mv8300 which is a 40000u clone but in black.

Some tapes are so rare and expensive. Bourne tape was probably the hardest to find and most expensive.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 09:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I see a tape like Alien go for 150-200 USD :crazy:
I got mine for about 40 USD delivered at my doorstep.
True lies fetches some money.... Can see why... only way to enjoy it in HD

On the lookout myself for a spare dts player. Would love a Marantz since it comes in black.
Love my Hm-dh5U but I fear the day something goes wrong with it. I even rewind my tapes with a regular vcr.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 16:06 
True fan
True fan

kris wrote:
Love my Hm-dh5U but I fear the day something goes wrong with it. I even rewind my tapes with a regular vcr.

I know a chap who "collects" VHS stuff & uses a BUSH VHS unit that never plays anything now, only used to rewind his tapes - must over time save quite a bit of wear & tear on the machines.

Cheers :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 15:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Scary, the thought of a VCR, -Digital or otherwise- that doesn't hardly last 15 years without developing reparable, though debilitating issues,
what when we have thirty-year-old VHS and S-VHS models out there that are still humming on strong to this day, some with minimal maintenance, even.

they well and truly don't make things like they used to...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 12:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
Scary, the thought of a VCR, -Digital or otherwise- that doesn't hardly last 15 years without developing reparable, though debilitating issues,
what when we have thirty-year-old VHS and S-VHS models out there that are still humming on strong to this day, some with minimal maintenance, even.

they well and truly don't make things like they used to...

True,

I might try to contact JVC about spare parts for those few machines they produced. I'm afraid getting spare parts might be even more of a challenge than keeping a ld player running altough I must say a LD player is very reliable and not that difficult to repair. Enough spare parts around myself and finding a donor unit isn't that much of a problem IMHO.
When I find a faulty dvhs deck they tend to fetch a lot of money.... 150-300 USD is big bucks for a faulty unit that might get me the parts one day I need. Never sure what is wrong when you buy a faulty device.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2017, 17:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

yeah, DVHS decks just weren't on the market for very long. there just isn't the sort of vast infrastructure of parts and service that even S-VHS enjoyed.

even worse, DVHS being a format of the age of absolute disposability in the CE market...

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]