It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 23:58

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Back to the Future 1,2 and 3 on D-VHS or W-VHS
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 11:52 
I have this Trilogy on Muse Hi-Vision, and i would like to have it on D-VHS (1080i) or W-VHS.

The covers can be made by a good Graphics Arquitect, with all the logos and everything, but what would be the best? I've heard W-VHS is pretty good, but i have a JVC D-VHS VCR HM-DH100U, i don't have W-VHS.

Do you guys think that W-VHS tapes have more built quality?

Should i do the transfer from Muse or from Blu Ray or DVD Upscaled?

Post subject: Re: Back to the Future 1,2 and 3 on D-VHS or W-VHS
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 04:22 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

W-vhs is analog similar to muse. Dvhs is digital mpeg2 at 28mbps. I would say buy back to the future on bluray for like $30 and call it a day. The transfer is mint,far better than you will ever have from muse ,dvhs or wvhs.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2012, 17:28 
True fan
True fan

I would probably make the transfer from the best source available, which would not be the Muse LDs or the DVDs. Use the Blu Rays, but only if you can be sure that your D-VHS or W-VHS can accept and record Blu Ray signals

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 21:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

flcl4evr wrote:
I would probably make the transfer from the best source available, which would not be the Muse LDs or the DVDs. Use the Blu Rays, but only if you can be sure that your D-VHS or W-VHS can accept and record Blu Ray signals

That sounds like a fun project haha. I believe if your Blu-Ray player exports the image over component video (instead of HDMI) you wouldn't have to worry about HDCP copy protection. Of course I have no idea how you'd be doing this but... sounds fun. :)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 13:31 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Going straight from HiVision to W-VHS would be the logical and easy choice. The recorders has component inputs.

The only way to record in highdef on D-VHS is via firewire. You'd have to get a YUV to i400 interface.

That's a crazy project but I like the idea. 8-) Its implementation will cost you more than what most households spend on what they think is a home theater.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2012, 05:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I know this is an older post, but I thought I'd answer anyway - WVHS is to HDTV as VHS is to NTSC - while it's Hi-Vision standard, it is low resolution - where HD is about 600 lines of resolution, WVHS is about 300-400, much lower than MUSE or, especially, an HD broadcast or Blu-ray. MUSE can produce 600 lines in non-moving images or non-moving areas of the image, dropping to 200-300 lines during motion, so WVHS will degrade the original. So, just like VHS is NTSC, but lower resolution, WVHS is HD, but lower resolution.

It's too bad you can't make a Blu-ray or AVCHD BD disc because I'd love to see the picture quality of a MUSE disc. I've never seen a dot-interlaced HD image like MUSE.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]