It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using JVC HM-DH5U for NTSC Laserdisc captures
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 02:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have some Laserdiscs that are not available on DVD or Blu-ray or available in P&S only, wrong color timing etc.. I want to make some captures of these for my friends. (i.e. I will make a DVD copy of Pioneer HLD-X0 demo LD for Disclord on here)

I have a JVC HM-DH5U that is in the same cabinet as my Pioneer HLD-X0. I have routed the S-Video cable from HLD-X0 to one of its inputs(assuming HLD-X0 has better comb filter). There are unfortunately no digital audio inputs on the D-VHS deck so the audio is via analog rca cables(fortunately HLD-X0 has excellent analog sound).

JVC HM-DH5U can record in STD speed at 14.1mbps in mpeg-2. There are LS3 and LS5 speeds at 4.7mbps and 2.8mbps respectively.

I don't own a desktop. I am a casual PC user. I am not planning on building a PC for captures. I do own a Laptop. It has a 2nd generation Intel i7 processor(2 actual cores at 2.667Mhz), 8gb DDR3 ram, Intel 520 SSD (180GB), Intel Graphics 2000. I have an external pioneer Blu-ray burner. It has firewire inputs. JVC HM-DH5U has firewire outputs. I have never tested this but according to what I have read so far, the firewire port on D-VHS decks bitstreams raw mpeg-2 signal.

I have no experience in this. I have the Roxio creator NXT software with Blu-ray add-on. I am hoping to create 4:3 Letterboxed DVDs at highest allowed bitrate with 2ch PCM audio.
1-Can I use this software or I really need something else?
2-Should I capture in STD 14.1mbps then down-convert to highest bitrate possible for DVD(9.8mbps I think)?
3-Any other recommendations?
4-Can I re-record onto D-VHS tape multiple times?

Post subject: Re: Using JVC HM-DH5U for NTSC Laserdisc captures
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 16:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I was going to say that most firewire connectors on these recorders are input only, but I checked the manual (http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/0 ... 3-001A.pdf) and behold, the rear firewire port can be IN or OUT.

I've only used the firewire port on my computer for capturing video from my Digital8 camcorder. I capture at the full DV/AVI bitrate of 25-30Mbps. Though it will only capture at 720x480 resolution. Which works for LD. Just make sure the video you've recorded to your D-VHS deck is at that resolution or lower.

Not familiar with the software you're talking about. I usually use Pinnacle Movie Studio for video capture. Though I believe that Windows Media Center will do as well (used to use Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP--I think that was absorbed into Windows Media Center for Windows 7 if not try this.)

Theoretically though, you could just use the D-VHS deck as a bridge between the LD player and your laptop. I know my camcorder could be used as such. Just connect the LD player to the D-VHS deck and the firewire out to the Laptop and run it that way. That way you can just capture the LD video at the full DV bitrate without having to use a tape and possibly degrade the capture by doing it twice.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 16:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

One thing I noticed on my DH5 U is it didn't capture the full image - it cut off about 2-5% on all sides when using the component in and its awful 3D comb filter. I don't know how it works via S-Video, so if you have DVE on LaserDisc, check the zone plate and overscan patterns to make sure you are getting the whole image.

If you have an external pro TBC, like the DPS-290, use that since the TBC's in consumer equip,ent are not "real" infinite window TBC's. they also allow you to adjust the chroma/luma delay, which is most often misaligned on all LaserDisc players and they have built in proc-amps and sophisticated video NR.

And yes, you can rerecord over D-VHS tapes as many times as you wish. Also, record at the highest bitrate, then make your DVD's at their highest bitrate possible - use fixed bitrate.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 03:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

You mean composite input as there is no component input(I wish there was).
Yes I am betting HLD-X0 has a better comb filter and TBC. S-video + stereo RCA in -> firewire out at 480i(raw) into Win 7 PC sounds like the best option. Then highest possible bitrate(constant)4:3 Letterboxed + PCM sound on DVD-DL(up to 2hrs).

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 04:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
You mean composite input as there is no component input(I wish there was).
Yes I am betting HLD-X0 has a better comb filter and TBC. S-video + stereo RCA in -> firewire out at 480i(raw) into Win 7 PC sounds like the best option. Then highest possible bitrate(constant)4:3 Letterboxed + PCM sound on DVD-DL(up to 2hrs).

Yes, I meant composite - I was just disappointed that it crops the image on all sides like an over-scanned TV - at least in the E-E mode.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]