It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:03

Page 3 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Ultimate VHS player?
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 21:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elviscaprice wrote:
That's one person. You could do better by remaining in the digital medium.

of course you can, just as a FERRARI F-40 can outpace a FORD Model-T without even beginning to try. that is quite beside the point.
this is all for fun, of course, nothing "serious" at all. just me being a Geek, is all, little, if anything more.

Videocassette can be a fun and fascinating medium to toy around with. the best built VCRs are works of electromechanical art,
and the best of the lavishly finished 1980's era high-grade cassette blanks are breathtaking to behold.

naturally, none of it can hold half a candle to today's HD Video tech, performance wise,
but this old, limited, criminally outmoded early foundation Home Video technology does in fact
have a palpable soul and character about it that is sadly very much lacking in today's home video products,
regardless of how advanced their raw performance clearly is...

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 21:48 
True fan
True fan

tasuke wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:
That's one person. You could do better by remaining in the digital medium.

of course you can, just as a FERRARI F-40 can outpace a FORD Model-T without even beginning to try. that is quite beside the point.
this is all for fun, of course, nothing "serious" at all. just me being a Geek, is all, little, if anything more.

Videocassette can be a fun and fascinating medium to toy around with. the best built VCRs are works of electromechanical art,
and the best of the lavishly finished 1980's era high-grade cassette blanks are breathtaking to behold.

naturally, none of it can hold half a candle to today's HD Video tech, performance wise,
but this old, limited, criminally outmoded early foundation Home Video technology does in fact
have a palpable soul and character about it that is sadly very much lacking in today's home video products,
regardless of how advanced their raw performance clearly is...

Well that was worded pretty well. All the old formats I remember from my youth; Betamax, VHS, Laserdisc,(I'll even say CED) have character and a nostalgia that I don't feel with Blu-ray.

That being said, even though I didn't grow up with it, there is something appealing to me about D-VHS.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2014, 21:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

the 1988 MITSUBISHI HS-U80 is a very fine deck, their TOTL for 1988/1990 or so,
but it's performance does not match that of the seemingly peerless JVC HR-S8000U.

still, it's one sexy behemoth of an S-VHS VCR all the same...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 18:42 
True fan
True fan

Got these two for free today:

Ik like them! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2015, 17:33 
True fan
True fan

Very cool. On first glance I thought it was a Sony U-matic player.

Also, since we're talking VCRs, does anyone know much about the Panasonic AG-1960? I saw one recently a local shop. It looked a little rough cosmetically, but it powered on, didn't test it beyond that.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2015, 20:16 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I have two JVC HM-DR10000. The second one is on it's way to me as we speak. It's a DVHS vcr, but it's a fantastic player for old vhs tapes. Mainly because it's so forgiving when it comes to worn old tapes.

Another vcr I use almost daily is Panasonic NV-FS200 (Panasonic AG-1980P = NTSC). Excellent S-Video vcr but not as forgiving towards old worn tapes as the JVC.

I think the remote of the Panasonic alone weighs more than the whole JVC vcr. :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 13:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a Sony SLV-798HF VHS player. It has an amazing PQ for VHS IMHO. The manual says that the player has internal circuitry that adjusts the picture as the tape changes.

There is one small problem with the player. In my experience, most VHS players eject the cassette about a 1/2" out the tape door thus allowing you to grab the tape and pull it out. Well, my player is overly enthusiastic when ejecting the tape. The tape is forcibly ejected so that it exits the tape door and lands on the floor if you are not ready to catch it. The first time I ejected a tape was a surprise. (I did not know that a catcher's mitt is needed for playing a VCR lol.)

Last edited by dumbchemist on 19 Jul 2015, 10:25, edited 1 time in total. _________________
LD
Pioneer CLD-D406
Sony MDP-600
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2015, 17:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I would take an S-VHS VCR over a standard VHS VCR. But really, you can only do so much with 240 lines of noisy, dirty resolution.

From what I understand, this odd Blu-ray/VHS player does a bang up job with VHS too:

Panasonic DMP-BD70V Blu-ray Disc/VHS Player

Only a player though. No recording.

My parents have that beast (got it on clearance for $130). It does a fairly good job with VHS, but don't expect the streaming functions to be worth much. Typically lousy Panasonic remote and interface.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2016, 21:08 
True fan
True fan

Had one already, monay I'll ad three of these beasts to my collection :)

Page 3 of 3 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3