It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: JVC DEMO tape
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2016, 21:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

so I got this today and watched it. its really beautiful on my TV but there does appear to be some problems like in the fire night time segment of beauty of Japan it kinda of skips sound stops for a second or two. Almost did the same thing in the Great America one in the desert.

would it be the tape or the VCR? I've been playing regular tapes for awhile in it but that might not have an effect on it. I don't know.

Also does the Demo repeat it self so I don't have to rewind it and just leave it where it is? if I want to watch agin unless I'm at the end of the tape.

Post subject: Re: JVC DEMO tape
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 15:05 
True fan
True fan

Might want to try running a head cleaning tape through it. I know I occasionally get playback issues with D-theater tapes, but a once through with the head cleaner and it plays fine.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 15:34 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

try cleaning tape, if not the tapes gone bad. I received a box of D-VHS tapes recently, none of them work right ,my guess is due to weather(FEDEX left it on the snow).

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 15:49 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

any recommendations or it shouldn't matter?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 15:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

There is a cleaning tape for D-VHS VCRs. JVC recommend using this tape only. I own it. It says D-VHS/S-VHS/VHS cleaner on it. It also warns only to be used with a D-VHS VCR. I looked at the tape carefully and compared to other D-VHS tapes, it is actually a S-VHS tape modified to be a D-VHS tape. So JVC themself did the illegal D-VHS from S-VHS blank trick:)

When you pop it in, you see static on the screen but the VCR goes into D-VHS mode. Maybe the magnetic head works differently for D-VHS tapes and therefor this tape is needed to clean properly, I can't tell. D-VHS version of the cleaning tape is hard to find and generally expensive around $20.

If you already have a regular cleaning tape, I would give it a try.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 19:53 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

getting a new JVC cleaning tape so I will wait until I get it. It was more than $20 but oh well I should have had one by now anyway to keep this vcr clean.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2016, 21:27 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

xtempo wrote:
getting a new JVC cleaning tape so I will wait until I get it. It was more than $20 but oh well I should have had one by now anyway to keep this vcr clean.

Indeed

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 12:59 
True fan
True fan

I can't find it now for the life of me, but a year ago I was still able to order NOS DVHS head cleaning tapes directly from JVC. They were about $3.99 but shipping was life 8 bucks. I should have bought more than one.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 19:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I had some dropouts happening now and then but forwarding the tape and rewinding it before playback solves this issue.
When I unpacked my brand new end of days copy it had dropouts. FFW-REW fixed that :thumbup:
true Lies turned out to be another example, did the FFW-REW thing and now it's all good.
Cleaned the DH5U player once. turned out it wasn't dirty at all! It has very low use :thumbup:
Have a mint NIB around for backup. sadly it is the HM-DH30000u that performs great but doesnt' do dts :o :( :thumbdown: own 2 working ones of those...
bought a 3rd with a common fault! 30000u is known for it's bad caps. PS board was gone. Thinking about modding it for 230volts sooner or later...
picked it from ebay with a broken videoboard. used the PS to repair the other one... this way I have donor parts around.
3 good working players isn't a bad idea when it comes to DVHS I imagine.
Would like a marantz MV-8300 but they are so hard to find in mint condition. It's an all black player. More discrete look if you ask me in the Av rack.
One way or the other they always have the frontpanel missing! I ask myself what do some people do with their players? they throw them around...?
The HM-dh5u is a great player but it looks like a christmas three and I dislike the grey color. The cheap HDMI logo doesn't add to it's cosmetics.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 19:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

those standard abrasive oxide "Cleaning Tapes" are are virtually worthless, and potentially dangerous to a VCR's heads.

first and best option is to open the deck up and clean head drum and tape path manually.

second best is finding one of the ALLSOP brand WET-TYPE cleaning cassettes
and either using the solution it came with, or 91% Iso Alcohol as substitute...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]