It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:51

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: regular VHS
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 05:04 
Can someone give me a crash course in VHS? Specifically I want to know the following:

1: I know VHS looks like garbage and nothing will make it as pretty as DVD but how can I maximize the quality of the display?

2: How does the analog signal work vs digital?

I am very fascinated by technology and I think its amazing how we can see moving pictures off of a magnetic strip. I prefer the old technology for 2 reasons: 1, no menus, 2 less cheap feeling product. I hate the plastic cases of dvds and blu ray and the fact that my copy of Goodfellas on Blu Ray could be confused with Bubsy 3D on the PS1 when turned upside down.

Post subject: Re: regular VHS
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 06:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Put it through an HDMI upscaling DVD ripper? :angel:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 08:03 
True fan
True fan

gbpxl wrote:
I prefer the old technology for 2 reasons: 1, no menus, 2 less cheap feeling product. I hate the plastic cases of dvds and blu ray and the fact that my copy of Goodfellas on Blu Ray could be confused with Bubsy 3D on the PS1 when turned upside down.

With Blue Ray/ DVD
1. Just rip the content to a hard drive and leave out the menus.
2. Won't have problems with confusing titles on a hard drive and it's in alphetical order, no more plastic cases. That is if your really interested in the content and not the shiny pictures, sleeves, jackets or metallic frisbees.

8-) Elvis

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 17:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

gbpxl wrote:
Can someone give me a crash course in VHS? Specifically I want to know the following:

1: I know VHS looks like garbage and nothing will make it as pretty as DVD but how can I maximize the quality of the display?

2: How does the analog signal work vs digital?

I am very fascinated by technology and I think its amazing how we can see moving pictures off of a magnetic strip. I prefer the old technology for 2 reasons: 1, no menus, 2 less cheap feeling product. I hate the plastic cases of dvds and blu ray and the fact that my copy of Goodfellas on Blu Ray could be confused with Bubsy 3D on the PS1 when turned upside down.

Well, you have to realize that you are dealing with a video signal that only has 240 lines of resolution (as compared to 425 lines of LD and 480 lines of DVD) with only 30 or so of those lines used for color. So the bigger the display you have, the worse it's going to look.

I have seen on YouTube several people getting higher end S-VHS VCRs to get the best possible picture for their VHS movie collections. I have several S-VHS decks. They can help, but no matter what you do you're still looking at a very low resolution picture.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 02:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

for VHS I dont look to improve the video that much. But I look for reducing the noise and stability of the video with tbc. Maybe something that can rebuild a few lines or entire field of video.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 15:59 
Getting a high end JVC S-VHS player is about the best way to maximize the picture. Look for the JVC 9000 series, but be prepared to pay 200 or more for it. The DVHS deck can also upscale VHS tapes to HD I believe, although I do not know how good of an upscaler JVC put in those machines.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 06:30 
ripping the vhs and playing it on a different format goes against the entire idea of watching vhs in the first place. not trying to sound like a dick when someone offers a tip, I'm just saying, I want to see it in that format, not have to break any laws, and not have to watch it on a different format.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 18:57 
Getting a better VHS player is about all you can do. Look at the 9000 series S-VHS players.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2012, 05:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

elviscaprice wrote:
gbpxl wrote:
I prefer the old technology for 2 reasons: 1, no menus, 2 less cheap feeling product. I hate the plastic cases of dvds and blu ray and the fact that my copy of Goodfellas on Blu Ray could be confused with Bubsy 3D on the PS1 when turned upside down.

With Blue Ray/ DVD
2. Won't have problems with confusing titles on a hard drive and it's in alphetical order, no more plastic cases. That is if your really interested in the content and not the shiny pictures, sleeves, jackets or metallic frisbees.

8-) Elvis

yes thats exactly what he wanted to know, what a helpful answer

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 02:22 
True fan
True fan

yazorin wrote:
elviscaprice wrote:
gbpxl wrote:

With Blue Ray/ DVD

8-) Elvis

yes thats exactly what he wanted to know, what a helpful answer

No problem, anytime I can be of help. 8-)

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 17:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Im using my jvc hm 40000u dvhs deck. Vhs playback is suprisingly good. I have my dvhs deck set to not upscale so it outputs 480i for vhs tapes. The picture is very sharp but extremely noisy. Typical noise reduction today blurrs the image. Maybe a component algolith can do decent job here

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 10:01 
True fan
True fan

can also recommend the Panasonic ag-1980, which has a great picture, super tbc and noise reduction!

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 04:49 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U D-VHS --- check my other thread for more info on it. I don't know if it is the fact that it is new or what the playback heads do but the tape I watched tonight was superb.

PostPosted: 27 May 2012, 19:14 
First post
First post

i can recommend Sony's slv-r1000 for VHS and SVHS, I've owned a few VCR's in my lifetime and it is by far the superior one, it was a close call between the Sony and the Panasonic ag-1980, but the Sony has a whole lot more features and style and they both have a faroudja comb filter so the Sony won. i hook it to my HDTV s-video out to my iScan HD+ and depending on the source material most of the time the picture quality is quite impressive, slight noise artifacts here and there and other media related issues, but i cant complain... audio wise it sounds great in stereo and pro-logic, a great value for it's price!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 03:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

wrong thread, sorry

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ]