It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Almost missed the fact that LDDb ...
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 09:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

... is turning 15 this year!

First early beta-version was started in November 2002 but I probably took advantage of the 2002 Summer break to start coding initially.

Wow, I feel even older now.

But it's been a fun ride, I met lots of interesting individuals on the way, met up some in the real world too, eventually landed a fantastic job back in 2009 through the website and still haven't reached the overdose level of maintaining the database.

I know most users would like their inputs and covers processed faster but I'd rather have a slow processing with quality outputs than validate everything blindly and create trouble in the future. The shop inventory management section is a shame and needs a full refresh, so does the shop listings (must migrate from iFrame to inline) and the "selling in lots" that was 80% finished but never tested.

My next scheduled task will be to work on the players' side because most of the Forum topics are about fixing/cleaning up/upgrading player and a section open to comments for all existing players would be a great addition to the disc database.

I'll start working on that when I will have spared enough $$$ to upgrade my 2012 Windows 7 laptop to the latest technology, fix my speakers (in need of re-foaming) and finish working on an major infrastructure project in Tokyo at work.

It would be also very useful for hand pick relevant topics in the forum (old or new) to create a FAQ on the usual issues (laser rot, AC3RF, DTS, combi players, etc.)

• So far 15,731 transactions were made on LDDb, for a total of 29,054 titles that changed hands!
  • Out of these 15,731, 6,903 were successful best offers
  • 4,052 currently active accounts (500+ visiting weekly, 1,000+ visiting monthly)
  • Accounting for ALL accounts created from the beginning (some were duplicates though), that's 13,806 accounts since 2002
  • 564,019 titles in LD collections (that's several hundred tons of LDs!)
  • Forum has 6,314 topics for a total of over 76,000 posts

Attachment:
HBD.jpg
HBD.jpg [ 28.47 KiB | Viewed 20694 times ]

Hope to post a similar message in 2022 for the 20th anniversary!

Julien

Post subject: Re: Almost missed the fact that LDDb ...
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 20:57 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Thanks for doing it. There are a LOT of LDs I now have that I wouldn't even know about without the database.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2017, 23:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Same here.... many thanks & happy 15th.

All the very best :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 01:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

What a huge milestone.....

So glad to have been turned on to the LDDB !
When i spun my very first title i wondered..... "what would it be like to be a dealer ? "

LDDB has made that daydream into a reality !

Hats off to you Julien ..... and a hearty THANK YOU for all your help over the years ! ! !

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 03:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Pretty cool.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 06:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Julien, many thanks for setting up and maintaining this wonderful website and forum :thumbup: hope to enjoy it for many more years to come ;)

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 10:06 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I became a member of the site in January 2006, the same month I started collecting LDs so have been using it since then. I don't think I ever expected to gather as many LDs as I own now, but I'm sure glad I entered them as I added to my collection as it would be a huge task having to start now. So I'm very thankful the site allowed me to do that and as a former programmer myself I love the way it maintained compatibility over the years and evolved very gracefully. You only need to look at crooks like Photobucket.com where they are now demanding a ransom with no advance warning to realize how much Julien has given of his own time for free.

Even back then the site seemed ahead of its time - there was nowhere else with such detailed info on the titles available and as more sellers appeared the wishlist feature became really useful at notifying me when titles I wanted became available. That remains the case even to this day even with all the copycat sites out there.

I found LDDB invaluable for confirming if titles existed that I had heard rumours about from other people. As a music collector that's priceless information. Even the best laserdisc books that exist and the infamous LD CD-ROM E-Book I discovered pale in comparison to this site.

Facebook is the future?.....I think not!

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 11 Aug 2017, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 10:44 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Happy birthday to LDDB and thanks to Julien for all the hard work over the years!

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 17:44 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Happy Birthday and thanks so much Julien.

After some 15 or so years totally away from the format it was finding LDDB that allowed me to catch up with all I needed to know. Both the database and the forums are such an important source of information.

Please keep up the great work. I'm certain so many of us value what you do very much.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2017, 18:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

admin wrote:
... is turning 15 this year!

Attachment:
HBD.jpg

Hope to post a similar message in 2022 for the 20th anniversary!

Julien

Can we look forward to a piece of the cake Julien?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2017, 21:51 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I am really glad and grateful that this site exists, many thanks to you Julien!
:clap:

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2017, 17:37 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

hope for many more years of love and fun. if the players don't last maybe the site will live on.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 22:54 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Likewise, thanks heaps for hosting this great service. I use it fairly frequently, whether it's determining whether or not a specific title was released on LD (and in what aspect ratio), to just looking up the Rot Status of a given title.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2017, 07:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good Day Julien,

Good day: Signofzeta, Je280, Firehorse_44, rein-o, Edwin240170, Laserdisc_fan, Hippiedalek, Audioboyz1973, Kingpin, Xtempo, Megarat, and to all the other members here.

Well done on the 15years milestone, and thank you for all that you have done for us all here.

If it wasn't for LDDB I wouldn't have had such an immediate access to the Japanese versions of the movies that I hold dear.

I have spent many thousands of Dollars & Pound Sterling doing business with Julien and Nicolas Santini (who you kindly recommended to myself Julien.)

Julien has travelled great distances to study in Canada ect and with his Entrepreneurial spirit and determination, he has indeed endured and stayed the course.

You like so many of us have gone through your own unique challenges However, what has stayed with you is your loyalty to this site and the additional forum that was added by your good self, as a recognition for the need of LD Collectors and enthusiasts to have a central point a Community.

Julien always gave a superb level of service to myself personally, with a level of professionalism that is very rare nowadays.
This level of service is a testament and speaks volumes of who you are as a person with integrity and truth.

Thanks to this site / forum I have made Good Friends here, and one in particular is a Friend and Brother for life.
I shall refrain from mentioning the individual's name as I would never wish to embarrass, suffice to say that Trust and the Garnered Respect that has been gained over time means so much.

This welcome celebration may help us all here to form new bonds of Friendship, or strengthen the relations we already have here. May this also heighten each of our appreciation for what this site provides.

Do we reach out more? Well' I know of others here who have also formed good Friendships, as a result of many elements from each person's character, personalities and experiences from doing business LD Repairs ect.

Let's all continue to make this site even more unique than it already is, and one extends the hand of Friendship to each of you.

Remember everyone without people this site would not exist.

People and the many personalities here united by a common interest in Laserdisc and Home Theatre, and yet we are all far more than this and have so much more to share.

A good deal of this sharing is through the post's and topics that we start or reply to However, there is another form of sharing, and that is through the Personal Messaging element of this forum ''Friendships are important''

Thank you Julien and all the Members here with appreciation.

Sincerest Regards to everyone

P.S. Love the picture of the Cake :)

:thumbup: :wave: :thumbup: :wave:

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 22:27 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Happy belated Birthday! I look forward to checking in from time to time and catching up on the latest. My collection keeps growing. :D

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 23:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Also seriously belated late Birthday. Here's to many more years of laserdisc viewing and fun even if Pioneer now hate us with a vengeance!.

Roger

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]