It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Fog
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2017, 20:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

As far as I can tell, there are 3 European releases of John Carpenter's The Fog (1980) on HD-DVD--a French release, a UK release (Fog, The [MP704HD]) and a German release (Fog, The (2005) [501662]).

Does anyone know if they are all made from the same transfer and if they're all the same running time (no cuts)?

Post subject: Re: The Fog
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 04:06 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I can't tell if it says 86 mins or 89 mins. https://www.amazon.com/Fog-HD-DVD/dp/B000JCDSM6

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2018, 04:54 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I can only tell that the german HD DVD is the uncut Version.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 18:20 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I bought the UK HD-DVD off of Amazon.co.uk, so once I get it I'll be able to tell if it's the uncut version or not.

Excited to try to compare that to the recently released Shout Factory blu-ray. I don't expect it to look or sound better since the SF transfer is 10 years newer, but comparing video formats of beloved movies is a dumb hobby of mine.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2018, 18:30 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Finally got the HD-DVD. The back label says the running time is 86 minutes, but I hope that is a misprint.

I did start watching and trying to compare it to the Shout Factory blu-ray. The rumor of the HD-DVD being a port of the original MGM DVD transfer appears to be well grounded. Not to say it looks that bad; it obviously looks better than a DVD.

So how do the two compare? I'd say overall the blu-ray is better. The newer transfer was supervised by original cinematographer Dean Cudney and had 10 years of innovation in the process on its side, so it had better come out on top! Crazy thing is, in some shots I prefer the HD-DVD and in others, the blu-ray. Blu-ray is definitely sharper, but the HD-DVD has more saturated colors. Not sure which one I would consider more realistic colors though. In most shots the HD-DVD is grainier, while the blu-ray is in others. Biggest advantage for the blu-ray though? More picture information on all sides!

Took some shots of each. This isn't my most optimal setup as I'm using my 43" 1080p Samsung LED rather than my 50" 1080p Panasonic Plasma as the display and my PS4 as the blu-ray player. Though I did calibrate both HDMI inputs for the sources with HD Video Essentials discs for each format (I was surprised that the settings were basically identical for each format on this display.)

HD-DVD

blu-ray

HD-DVD

blu-ray

HD-DVD

blu-ray

HD-DVD

blu-ray

HD-DVD

blu-ray

HD-DVD

blu-ray

I might revisit this again when I get my full setup done.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]