It is currently 05 May 2024, 13:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: interesting fact about "Twister"
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2013, 00:41 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Appearantly it was the first DVD released by a major studio on 3-27-1997 and the last HD-DVD released by a major studio in the US on 5-27-2008.

Post subject: Re: interesting fact about "Twister"
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 09:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day substance,

Interesting.......I don't know why I find this so but it is, I wonder why?

I purchased the last HD DVD release of Twister and am glad I did.
Twister had all of the right ingredients that made it as a whole a great movie experience.

It was serious, humorous, funny and scary in places, with all the right cast members.

Thank you for that :)

Sincere Regards

:D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

benmbe wrote:
Good day substance,

Twister had all of the right ingredients that made it as a whole a great movie experience.

It was serious, humorous, funny and scary in places, with all the right cast members.

Sincere Regards

Twister's theatrical prints were accompanied by a letter from the director to turn up the film from the standard Dolby Processor volume setting of "7" and play it at 8 or 9, depending on the size of the theater and how full the auditorium was. The DTS-6 CD-ROM discs were also replaced about a week into Twister's US run because the sound mix wasn't fully finished by the time that the prints with Dolby Digital and SDDS on them were struck, so it went to theaters with an "almost finished" soundtrack. Once the final mix was done, new DTS-6 CD-ROM's were made and sent to theaters as replacements - DTS made a big deal out of this since entirely new 35mm prints would have to be made to change the Dolby SR-D or SDDS soundtracks. I saw the film 3 times its opening week and several times after the Cinema East theater had started using the new DTS discs (I worked for DTS at that time and hand-delivered the discs to the Cinema East myself) and I honestly could not tell you what the differences were between the unfinished and finished sound mixes - it wasn't anything major that stood out.

With the way the studios make all kinds of mistakes on their home video releases, I've always wondered if any of the home videos used the unfinished soundtrack by mistake?

I loved the film Twister and got the CAV AC-3 LaserDisc the day it was released, then the DVD (it was my 2nd or 3rd DVD purchased in early April of 1997) and I eagerly bought the full bitrate DTS DVD when it was released. I lived in New Mexico at the time but have moved to the Midwest, just outside of Kansas City, MO and have been in several tornado's since then - now I can't watch Twister at all. I never bought the HD-DVD release because of my real life experiences - the film is no longer fun or anything. It just scares the hell out of me and gives me "flashbacks" to the times I've had to hide in the basement while trees crushed my car and fell on our house and garage.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2013, 19:06 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good evening

I lived in New Mexico at the time but have moved to the Midwest, just outside of Kansas City, MO and have been in several tornado's since then - now I can't watch Twister at all. I never bought the HD-DVD release because of my real life experiences - the film is no longer fun or anything. It just scares the hell out of me and gives me "flashbacks" to the times I've had to hide in the basement while trees crushed my car and fell on our house and garage.

Wow!!!!.........You have had your fair share of trials my friend......I hear what you are saying.

Sorry to read about your experiences but thank you for sharing as this helps in understanding others here on the forum.

Kind regards

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 06:39 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:
benmbe wrote:
Good day substance,

Sincere Regards

Twister's theatrical prints were accompanied by a letter from the director to turn up the film from the standard Dolby Processor volume setting of "7" and play it at 8 or 9, depending on the size of the theater and how full the auditorium was. The DTS-6 CD-ROM discs were also replaced about a week into Twister's US run because the sound mix wasn't fully finished by the time that the prints with Dolby Digital and SDDS on them were struck, so it went to theaters with an "almost finished" soundtrack. Once the final mix was done, new DTS-6 CD-ROM's were made and sent to theaters as replacements - DTS made a big deal out of this since entirely new 35mm prints would have to be made to change the Dolby SR-D or SDDS soundtracks. I saw the film 3 times its opening week and several times after the Cinema East theater had started using the new DTS discs (I worked for DTS at that time and hand-delivered the discs to the Cinema East myself) and I honestly could not tell you what the differences were between the unfinished and finished sound mixes - it wasn't anything major that stood out.

With the way the studios make all kinds of mistakes on their home video releases, I've always wondered if any of the home videos used the unfinished soundtrack by mistake?

quote]

Attachment:
mulholland drive.jpg
mulholland drive.jpg [ 48.16 KiB | Viewed 8045 times ]

here is one I found on criterion facebook page.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 06:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

COOL, thanks for posting!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2013, 23:26 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

disclord wrote:

I loved the film Twister and got the CAV AC-3 LaserDisc the day it was released, then the DVD (it was my 2nd or 3rd DVD purchased in early April of 1997) and I eagerly bought the full bitrate DTS DVD when it was released. I lived in New Mexico at the time but have moved to the Midwest, just outside of Kansas City, MO and have been in several tornado's since then - now I can't watch Twister at all. I never bought the HD-DVD release because of my real life experiences - the film is no longer fun or anything. It just scares the hell out of me and gives me "flashbacks" to the times I've had to hide in the basement while trees crushed my car and fell on our house and garage.

Maybe that explains why when I saw it at the midnight screening for the theater employees, it seemed way too loud, that and only a few seats were full. I'm glad I got a copy when I did on HD DVD, they've jumped up a bit, more than I would like to pay for this title, I don't think HD DVD will hold much in the way of collector's value the way laserdisc has. There's far fewer collectors and it was only around a short time. Plus, with all the mastering problems on discs and player bugs that usually accompany early tech, it will probably be more comparable to CED in 10 years.

I do consider Twister the last US title and the last overall title Deathproof, which I also have. I don't consider the Deadlands or other titles as final titles because they're not major studios. Anyone can film something cheap and throw it on a HD DVD-R and call it the final release. I've got some blank HD DVD-R's too, I'll wait until 2030 and burn a few and call it the last release, okay? Would that mean that HD DVD lasted from 2006-2030? Kind of dumb if you ask me. Sorry, just rambling on a bit here.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 03:34 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I have like 20 blanks and the latest gen hddvd burner (912 something with 2x speed)I hope the discs arent defective. They are only 15gb. They never sold dual layer blanks. I have some movies I recorded of tv in 1080i with dd5.1 like buckaroo banzai. I captured them bit to bit via tivo. I might burn one but havent decided what movie. I want something that will not make it to bd.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 08:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I thought about putting 2010 on HD DVD since only 2001 made it. But it'd be from the Blu ray source. Also Days of Thunder to accompany Top Gun. But I had trouble getting the 5.1 to work. I found a copy of DVD Studio Pro 4 which processed for HD DVD mastering on Macs but just had trouble getting the 5.1 to work. At some point I'm going to look at it again. I think the problem I had was FCP recognizing the codec, so I couldn't just import it simply. Needed lots of trickery, but it's been a long time since I tinkered with it.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wish someone would make either HD-DVD's or BD's of the Hi-Vision MUSE LaserDisc's. regular DVD-R's will work and provide about 45 minutes per disc with 720P or 25 min with 1080P. I just love to own some Hi-Vision titles in true high def, both the later, good MUSE encodings and transfers as well as the bad encodings and transfers like Top Gun. Plus some of the underwater fish titles - my cats LOVE the HD-DVD I have of fish swimming around - they will watch it for hours. Interestingly, the standard def DVD side of the disc holds no interest for them - only with the HD video do they sit up and take notice.

So anyone with the ability, PLEASE make some HD discs of your MUSE titles.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 17:30 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I have a muse player and a muse decoder on the way from japan. I own Basic Instinct, Lawrence of Arabia, Cliffhanger and Bugsy Hi-vision discs. I currently don't have capturing capability. I don't know anything about capturing cards. Once I do, I will make BD, HD-DVD(you have to provide blanks), or BD-DVD(AVC) of these titles for you.
It could be either raw direct from component out of the decoder into capture card. Therefore 1080i with 2ch PCM(from B-mode or EFM or both)
or
have software to convert to 1080p24hz(BD specs does not include 1080p60)
or
capture from Crystalio II Hdmi out converter to 1080p24hz via hardware(Gennum VXP), I can even include Algolith Mosquito HDMI analog/digital video noise reducer in the chain but its noise reduction algorithm isn't design for MUSE.
I am hoping to include more Hi-Vision titles as more come available for sale.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 17:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
I have a muse player and a muse decoder on the way from japan. I own Basic Instinct, Lawrence of Arabia, Cliffhanger and Bugsy Hi-vision discs. I currently don't have capturing capability. I don't know anything about capturing cards. Once I do, I will make BD, HD-DVD(you have to provide blanks), or BD-DVD(AVC) of these titles for you.
It could be either raw direct from component out of the decoder into capture card. Therefore 1080i with 2ch PCM(from B-mode or EFM or both)
or
have software to convert to 1080p24hz(BD specs does not include 1080p60)
or
capture from Crystalio II Hdmi out converter to 1080p24hz via hardware(Gennum VXP), I can even include Algolith Mosquito HDMI analog/digital video noise reducer in the chain but its noise reduction algorithm isn't design for MUSE.
I am hoping to include more Hi-Vision titles as more come available for sale.

HD-DVD had the equivalent of BD's DVD-R/AVCHD format - I believe it was called 3X HD-DVD-R since the DVD-R's were spun at 3X the normal rate and either VC-1 or AVC had to be used - MPEG-2 wasn't allowed. Deinterlacing and removing the 3:2 sequence of a film on Hi-Vision MUSE LaserDisc to make it 1035/24P (since 1035 is the number of active lines MUSE has) would greatly reduce the bitrate over 60I with all the unneeded fields created by the 3:2 conversion and reduction of the frame rate from 30Fps to 24Fps. Of course, that wouldn't work for video generated Hi-vision titles.

I don't know much about HD capture cards but capturing the straight component outputs of the MUSE decoder would be the best way to go, I think. And except for the conversion to 24P, no NR or other processing should be used so we can see the actual quality of the MUSE encoding/decoding system. I don't have a lot of spare money since I'm on permanent Social Security Disability, but I'd contribute what I could towards your purchase of a capture card. Perhaps others who would like to own copies of the MUSE titles would do the same thing?

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 19:30 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

thank you disclord for your kind offer. I think I can cover the cost of the capture card. I can use some good advice on how to adequately master these titles into BD or HD-DVD. I don't know much about capturing. I will make a new thread about my capture rig. If enough people contribute with information on what I should get and how I should use them, we can start muse convert bd production:)

I know how you feel. Before I bought my muse gear I felt the same. I have known about the muse Lds since 2000. Ever since I have been curious how they looked(I still do because I don't have my decoder yet). I will help fellow LD members and get these on BD on best way possible.

HD-DVD blanks are very hard to come by. I have some 20 or less but I want to use those on my personal use. If anyone wants HD-DVD copies, they will have to provide me blanks.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2013, 21:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
thank you disclord for your kind offer. I think I can cover the cost of the capture card. I can use some good advice on how to adequately master these titles into BD or HD-DVD. I don't know much about capturing. I will make a new thread about my capture rig. If enough people contribute with information on what I should get and how I should use them, we can start muse convert bd production:)

I know how you feel. Before I bought my muse gear I felt the same. I have known about the muse Lds since 2000. Ever since I have been curious how they looked(I still do because I don't have my decoder yet). I will help fellow LD members and get these on BD on best way possible.

HD-DVD blanks are very hard to come by. I have some 20 or less but I want to use those on my personal use. If anyone wants HD-DVD copies, they will have to provide me blanks.

I've always wanted to see MUSE from following the HDTV race here in the US and, back in the 80's, reading the articles about Hi-Vision and then in the early 90's the short updates Video Review would do about the Japanese video market - when they announced that Hi-Vision LaserDisc's were on the market I yearned to own a Hi-Vision LaserDisc system; but then I discovered the prices. Image Entertainment and Runco were going to introduce Hi-Vision LD here - Runco was even working on modifying the Pioneer HLD-1000 to turn it into the Runco LJR-HD (I wonder if they would have tried to get it THX Certified?). For those who haven't seen it, here's a pic of Runco's MUSE player:

The other Japanese system that I always wanted, and finally got, was a VHD Video Disc player and also a 3D VHD Video Disc player and a bunch of 3D titles like Jaws 3D, Spacehunter, Metalstorm and Friday the 13th Part III 3D. I had the catalogs and brochures for the planned US launch and JVC had built a disc pressing plant in LA which by late 1982 had already pressed over 500,000 discs in preparation for the launch - the 1982 US title catalog contained over 200 titles from basically every major studio, including MCA Videodisc who hadn't even started releasing their titles on the CED format yet. Then, in mid 1983, the VHD consortium announced that they would not be releasing the VHD format in America due to the poor sales of both LaserDisc and CED! Talk about a major disappointment! A few months later there was a news item in Video or Video Review that JVC, National and others had launched the VHD system on the Japanese market. UGH! Then in 1986 there was another news item that 3D VHD had been introduced - and it was real field-sequential 3D, not the red/blue anaglyph 3D that didn't work. So, for years I longed to just see the picture quality of VHD - I read all the patents JVC and others had on the format but figured it was something I'd never see. Then, Christmas 2001, my partner surprised me with a VHD player and about 30 titles - a week or so later the 3D player and movies arrived - I don't think I've ever had a better Christmas. I spent that next week making the VHD DiscWorld website and started using the name Disclord for emails and forums because that is what National (Panasonic) called their players in Japan. The VHD format wasn't discontinued in Japan until 1991 so there are a good number of letterboxed discs available - I got all the Godzilla films in WS on VHD, including the 1984 Godzilla; and the 3D discs are all WS - Friday The 13th 3D is presented in its full 3D aspect ratio of 2.66:1 - the flat WS DVD and BD are cropped to 2.35:1, cutting off a good portion of the sides.

So now that I have my VHD desires satiated, I really want to see and own the Hi-Vision MUSE films - I don't care that they are not on actual Hi-Vision LaserDisc's because I know I'll never be able to afford an HLD-X0, MUSE decoder and discs. BD or 3X DVD-R HD copies will make me happy.

One thing though - I wish the Hi-Vision name had been used and 'stuck' here in the US - it sounds so much better than boring 'HD'. I know it's silly, but I just prefer Hi-Vision and would love to see the term used on BD jackets and such.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 17:32 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

disclord wrote:

Fader
"7" 0.0db
"8" 3.3db rise
"9" 6.6db rise

I would be surprised if the local MGM screen 1 multiple times as it sounded good even in Dolby Stereo and I wouldn't be surprised if they where using A-type cards in the CP200. no SR-D install at least another year.

It sounded punchy on the JBL 4675-A stage channels and the single 4645 sub. Not sure about the surrounds they are unknown? At least 6 fitted to back wall.

The opening was near deafening but wasn't as loud where I have to stick my fingers in my ears. The bass mid was fine. The stereo spread was clear and easy to pinpoint. The matrix surrounds performed splendidly, that had me looking behind many times.

I still have the tickets. WOW I saw it that many times.

I helped a chap out at drive-in on the last season and he was giving it up.

TWISTER was showing at the drive-in and end credits got chewed up as the top spool came lose and so the film got jammed up and wrapped around the Intermittent Sprocket, nearly a few feet was sandwiched.

I'm happy with CAV pressing. I have DVD first release and SE release with Dolby/dts and there is hardly any real big difference between the two.

Twister (1996) [20102]

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 18:51 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Ever since I got the Pioneer HLD-X0, I got cold for CAV LDs:) I am sure you understand why

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 19:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:
I'm happy with CAV pressing. I have DVD first release and SE release with Dolby/dts and there is hardly any real big difference between the two.

Twister (1996) [20102]

I always go for the CAV Standard Play release over the CLV/CAA Extended Play release if given a choice since CAV has a 3db higher overall video S/N ratio and 2-3db higher chroma S/N ratio than CLV after the first 3 minutes or so of playback time, as well as a slightly wider and flatter frequency response which translates into a sharper image. Plus, the nasty effects of crosstalk simply can't occur on a CAV disc, so unless the disc is really scratched up and warped, it will play pretty much perfectly unless the player is horribly misaligned. While I've always understood the need for a disc that holds 2 hours, the advantages of CAV over CLV/CAA are so great that I wish all titles had been issued both ways.

I'm surprised you didn't hear a big difference between the original Dolby Digital DVD of Twister, which, if I remember correctly, is encoded at the 384 kbp/s rate, and the DTS version which used a 20-bit master with 23db of headroom and is encoded at DTS' 1.5 Mbps/s rate; which on the more simple dialog scenes, etc. is basically losslessly encoded. The DTS DVD has a detail and realism that the Dolby Digital track on the same DVD lacks (and its a 448 kbp/s rate ñ coding). The differences lead me to believe that the same master was used for both the Dolby and DTS tracks, which hasn't always been the case with many titles. The DTS has a clarity to the dialog that makes it sound a good bit louder, as if the center channel had been raised in level, but measurements I took when the disc came out - using the primitive Radio Shack sound level meter - showed that at the same volume level setting, both tracks were the same volume. At the time I had a Kenwood Soverign THX receiver and it 'undid' the effects of Dolby Digital's DialNorm so measurements could be taken at the same levels. The low bass was also superior in the DTS version - on the Dolby track much of the bass is just low-frequency rumble/roar, but on the DTS track you can hear other sounds, such has breaking glass, screams, crashing noises, etc... All within the overall rumble and roar. High frequencies have a transparency and - I can't explain it other than 'cleanness', that the Dolby doesn't have. I don't believe the Dolby's inferiority is due to its high frequency channel coupling AC-3 uses because at the high frequencies that the Dolby coder couples channels, we only hear the overall envelope of the audio waveform, which is captured accurately in Dolby's psychoacoustic model. For those who don't know, the coupling basically takes the high frequencies from all channels or groups of channels and combines them into a single, mono, channel that's encoded and along with that a 'data' channel that tells the decoder the volume level of those frequencies in each channel - this saves bits and allows more accurate encoding because the encoder doesn't have to encode each channel individually and the reason it works is when we hear high frequencies coming from multiple channels out ear/brain combines them I to a single 'whole' that follows only the 'outline' (or envelope) of all the channels together - and we determine the directionality by the volume level of each channel on an instantaneous basis - so if the Dolby decoder reproduces those groups of high frequencies accurately, and with the correct - and constantly varying level - from each channel, a high fidelity recreation of the original multitrack master will be heard since its the way we hear in real life anyway. DTS has a channel coupling mode, but its only invoked at super low bitrates below 768 kbps/s - and I don't know of any DTS recordings with those low bitrates.

Anyway, the Dolby sounds great in the high frequencies, but the DTS sounds real - that's the difference.

I didn't mean to do a whole review of the Twister DTS VS Dolby DVD soundtrack, but was just surprised you didn't hear much difference since, to me, the differences are huge.

As a final thought, it's really amazing how DTS has implemented and modified the original ARTEC 6-channel codec they bought and added additional features up to and including extra channels and lossless coding while still remaining backwards compatible with the very first home DTS decoders that were released in the Spring of 1997. The only downer in the home 5.1 channel 'wars' is that Sony never introduced a consumer version of SDDS, despite being given room for it in the DVD standard.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2013, 18:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

substance wrote:
Ever since I got the Pioneer HLD-X0, I got cold for CAV LDs:) I am sure you understand why

Screen shot war
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1169539/pione ... enshot-war

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 09:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day disclord,

I have just read of your experiences and enthusiasm with regards Laserdisc various iterations CED, High-Viz ect.

I enjoyed reading I like yourself would love to own the HLD X0 and MUSE decoder. This may still happen thou, as I was in negotiations with a reputable seller, and still have a number of Laserdisc's reserved with him at present.

Thank you for sharing as I appreciated what you wrote.

Sincere Regards

:wave: :D

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 17:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Twister was also in the first batch of Blu rays released in 2006.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next